Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta with Yellow Flowers Coming in 2015?

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 3:27

I read this on 'The Hosta Helper'...Sadly, no pics to be found; Sounds wonderful!

"At the January 19, 2013 Hosta Scientific Meeting in Lisle, IL, Mark Zilis showed an image of H. 'Miracle Lemony' which Mr. Hajime hybridized. It has YELLOW flowers. Zilis hopes to introduce it into the U.S. in a couple of years."

Anyone happen to ever see a pic of 'Miracle Lemony'? I'm gonna go scour The Web and see if I can find one...

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizer Hajime Sugita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta with Yellow Flowers Coming in 2015?

Aha! Yellow flowers! I guess that comes from something with a creamy white......maybe it is more outrageous than having a blue flowered hosta.

Truly, if more attention is paid to the flowers, something is bound to happen. So many folks are only interested in the flowers in the garden, not simply the leaves. Present company excluded, of course.

Myself, the color of the flower is not as important as the fertility, maybe the height of the petiole. I understand that in the wild the hosta competed with taller grasses and meadowland plants in general, to get the pollinators to visit THEIR flowers, so they shot up tall scapes above the surrounding competition. Plants have a survival strategy too. I find books by Michael Pallen (almost Pollen but definitely not PALIN) highly interesting reads.

If one of the yellow bloomers is shown at a convention, I'll HAVE to attend. No way around it.

o

I know that Jeff Moore has hybridized red flowers, but I haven't seen yellow.

Red flower photo redflower_zpsdf8345ec.jpg

Not yet available, but I know he has created a few plants with this kind of color.

Steve

o

I haven't seen Zilis' yellow-flowered hosta...but have a friend/hybridizer who has one with yellow flowers, so I know it's just a matter of time before something is on the market...

o

This morning I assumed this was an April Fools post.

o

Mark Zilis did show pics of this yellow flower at this years Winter Scientific Meeting.....it is very yellow. It is from a hybridizer in Japan.

The red flowered hostas you are seeing Steve are just past on from plants that already have red flowers like 'Kokuryu' and 'Akane'. While they are nice they are not newly created like a yellow flowered hosta.......I can see using this yellow and coming up with orange etc........

Jeff White

This post was edited by allnitro on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 7:05

o

Yellow flower Sugita original is selected species of Tsushima Hosta one of the wild species.

o

By the way, such as "Kokuryu" Hosta red flower is not the only "Akane".
This is a variation of H.longipes. HYB

o

Thanks for posting. That's interesting.

bk

o

Wow. Just wow.

Kumakichi,

Are both of these variations of the species found in the wild or was the longipes a cultivar? Are there any plans to introduce these into the US?

Steve

Steve

o

Yellow such a happy color, ...absolutely beatiful flowers !

o

I do not know who is whether the reasonable point of contact in the United States. Contact Because not particularly, I have priority only thing in Japan.
I think Mark will play a role for the yellow flower.
Images that have been attached is what they appear to sow is white flowers H.yingeri of Korean, the seed of self-pollinated flowers of the same type.
As well as changes in the leaf, we have improved flower color, flower shape, fragrance, etc. even if the goal of breeding, of course, it is the thing which changes in leaf also combines the breeding group of Japan Hosta Society that I belong , is the exchanges of Hosta Society of Japan and the United States

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here