Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic spray to kill slugs

Posted by stoc 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 3:28

Was wondering if anyone has used this? The recipe is to boil 2 or 3 cloves and then take the concentrate and dilute it and spray to kill them and their eggs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic spray to kill slugs

the only application i know of for such.. is to add some to butter.. and throw the shell-less snail into it.. and serve with crusty bed to lap up all the garlic butter ...

never heard of it..

seems like a rather cheap idea.. PLEASE TRY IT.. and let us know ...

ken

ps: know applications include either 10% ammonia... or 10% vinegar ... i think its somewhere on the FAQ page ... pickling aisle for vinegar.. hardware store for ammonia .. in bulk ...

o

That's what the Hanging Hostas of Hampshire use, to much success. I was actually thinking about trying it as well, this year.

o

I have made it up and tried it. Not sure it kills slugs and their eggs, I think it just wards them off as they are repelled by the smell and or taste. I had some success but went back to slug pellets as repeated sprayings made the garden and me reek of garlic.
I prefer Ken's view on snails and garlic.
IMHO a concerted attack at the start and end of a season with pellets will considerably reduce the population.
Repeat this over a couple of years and the amount of pellets is considerably reduced.
When I first moved here the numbers of slugs coming off the fields was so high I was forced to buy a 20kg sack of pellets to combat them and they lasted me a season and a half. After 3 years I am now just casting a few handfuls around and seeing very few of them.

I have just reread the original postings and when the question of smell from such a small quantity of garlic was asked it set me thinking. Stoc said 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, all the recipes I have seen or used state bulbs which to me came across as the whole head ! That's what I used and believe me even a tablespoon of that concentrate diluted in a couple of gallons certainly pongs.
Crickey ! Blimey ! Oh my Gawd ! Which of us had the right interpretation ?
Stoc,, or any one who uses it at the weaker of the two dilution, let us know how you get on with it. I will be interested to know.

Dave

This post was edited by tiddisolo on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 2:03

o

Oh, yes, Dave is right! I didn't even notice that in the subject line. Garlic sprays repel, they don't kill slugs. The aforementioned HHofH use the pellets in the beginning of the season, and then follow up later in the season with the garlic spray. It is so diluted, I'm surprised you would smell it at all.

o

I'll have to look up the recipe, saw it once before, but no recollection now.

My DH brought home a bag of garlic that could be planted and fill an acre with fresh garlic. It goes in the ground to make more. And it is going in the bed with roses. Interplantings like that keep aphids off the roses, you know. (There is an old gardening book titled ROSES LOVE GARLIC.) Then I can harvest the fresh cloves for the "brew."

The only good slug is a dead one.

o

If it only repels them then I'll offer them beer - guaranteed to send them to slug heaven! back during the eighties when my spouse was still alive I "borrowed" his dredgings ... There was enough left in each bottle to fill a small container which was enough for the 13 or so hostas I had at the time.
Having said that garlic IS a staple in my kitchen...and cheap...but I like the idea of reducing the slug population more than merely diverting them.

This is a good reminder - now is a good time to get out there ...it's so wet right now and warming up...perfect draw for slugs, UGH!

o

Good grief it is that time of year again!! Slugs ugh!!!! And we are getting rain!! But more worriesome are the Deer that enjoy dining on my Hosta. I have been doing some research and I came across a website for something called Deer Out! Any of our gurus ever heard of it? I read all the testimonials and it sounds pretty good. It is a spray and you can buy it in several different sizes. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is, but I wanted some expert opinions about it.

o

Thanks guys.I actually first saw it on the You Tube video..the hanging hosta gardens.

The recipe is to take a whole bulb,crush it and then boil it in a liter of water for about 5 minutes,strain it and then use 1 tablespoon for every liter of water.It's supposed to stay fresh in the fridge for 2 weeks.

If it just repels them I want them gone.I did try a bit of the ammonia spray last year,(I am a newbie) and some earthworms came up and were not happy.I want to keep my earthworms so I think I will go with Nematodes again.

Found a cheaper supplier from the UK.

A neighbor has 3 cats that have been using my new bed as a litter box.I read that they don't like garlic so I think I will give it a go tommorrow. Supposed to be 20 C here and I have pips----Yippeee !

o

I thought that the Hanging Gardens of Hampshire have hostas hanging in pots higher up where slugs can not get to them.

o

Bernd, they are hanging up, they are on the ground, they are everywhere. I think they even rotate them a bit too.

It is an exciting video to watch and I recommend it. What I want to see is how they manage them while dormant. Now THAT would be interesting!

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 22:38

Around here slugs and snails are around all year. Snails can climb up into our eaves, right up the stucco/siding walls. I use Sluggo Plus all year round.

I noticed this year for the first time after diligently using Sluggo Plus last year, about every 3 weeks, that I have not seen and slime trails on the decks with hostas. So far so good, but I keep looking for them.

I love garlic and butter for fish and just about anything, but not escargo. It's a mental thing. I throw them into the street for that last wild ride.

-Babka

o

I read somewhere on this site, to mix vinegar and ? to kill snails on hosta's. Now can't find it.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Thanks.

o

I have lots of slugs because I have lots of wood on the property. To keep them under control, I put down slug pellets at the beginning of the growing season just after the first rains. Thereafter, I go out on a 'slug patrol' every evening about 9 p.m. with my flashlight and I spray them with 10% ammonia solution. That way I am able to get lettuce, beans, and other green stuff from my garden. And they will climb up on to tables and get into seedling pots too. What a joy to see them practically disintegrate before your eyes!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here