Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indymom76_gw

Question about Great Expectations

indymom76
12 years ago

Hi everyone-I have a GE hosta that is now three years old and still has one eye. :( I've waited patiently for my sleep and creep years and thought I would have seen a lot more growth from this hosta this year instead of the same one eye. I have this hosta planted under partial shade-it doesn't ever get direct sunlight-only dappled. Is GE just a REALLY slow grower or should I consider choosing a different spot for it? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Yes it is slow grower and yes you should consider a different spot for it. Unfortunately moving it will set it back, but it needs to be done. All medio variegated Hosta are tricky to grow, but particularly GE. I think it needs 4 hours of morning sun and all the water you can give it. I have mine in morning sun and right by an area where a roof drain enters the garden.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

with all the white.. it needs some sun ... but not in the hot of the day ....

and on this one.. 7 to 10 years to maturity.. reset on transplant ...

and.. one of the most complained about.. lack of vigor.. plants there is in the hosta world [and frankly.. one of my most hated as i have tried and failed.. on at least TEN!!! of them] ...

there are perhaps.. 3 people in this forum.. who can grow it to perfection.. maybe only two ...

my best advice.. GET RID OF IT .. if space is at a premium ...

ken

• Cindy
    12 years ago

I received 2 of them last year as a freebee with 2 separate hosta orders. Mine are tiny little TC's but I will give them this, they came back. They are tiny.....I mean 2-3", but are so pretty with their yellow twisted leaves. I guess time will tell but I usually invest in moderate growth rate hostas as I am impatient but still get sucked in by the gorgeous pics of GE.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I lost the first one of mine,but my present one is growing fine in morning sun;then in the afternoon,it goes into shade past noon. I think that's where it will stay;it seems to like it there. Phil

• indymom76
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone-I'll take this into consideration-I thought I remembered it was a slow grower and ken I might just put it in time out-I've got some room to play with but since it's being stubborn, I'll move it and put something that likes that area better! I guess I should be happy mine has lasted this long! Steve-I may have a good place for it out in my backyard so I'll probably move it there.

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

I am going to post a few pics of mine on my SPRING WALK THRU PICTURES...I thought I had better take pics with the weather being so ugly today...

• Gesila
    12 years ago

I have GE growing in a pot and one in the ground. The one that grows in the pot is my favorite. Here's a picture of it today: