Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Best place to buy hosta in Northern Virginia?

vettin
10 years ago

New to hosta (other than a costco purchase years ago). Looking to start a small shade garden. Any recommendations on where to purchase and what to look for (eg how to identify disease or poor quality). Ok to plant now? Thank you

Comments (10)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Welcome welcome!

Bridgewood Gardens in Strasburg has open house dates:

Friday through Sunday, May 17, 18, and 19
    Saturday and Sunday, June 7 and 8
    Saturday and Sunday, June 21 and 22

I have purchased from them and their plants are healthy and have done well for me, but I have actually preferred several other mail-order sources. I only have personal experience with Hallsons, Naylor Creek, and Green Mountain, and they are all A++. But if you are looking for an in-person experience, those Bridgewood open house dates would be fun!

If you ever have occasion to be in the York, PA area, there is a really cool place called The Hosta Hideaway. I could wander there for hours!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hosta Hideaway

This post was edited by jadie88 on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 6:50

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

mail order.. like the rest of us ... as noted hallsons and naylor breek

its like xmas in a box ....

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Hallson and Naylor Creek both ship bare root, so the plants start clean. Both are A++ as Jadie says.

Bridgewood ships in pots, wrapped in excelsior and newspaper, with their nursery potting mix. Which means some states do not allow them to ship. But, since you AND Bridgewood are in the same state, that probably does not apply. :) Visit their web site and check it out.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

and chic at bridgewood.. being .. apparently an old hippie..

has named most of his own plants with old rock and roll names ...

it is always fun.. to buy things.. directly from the guy who made them ..

look for 'satisfaction' there.. as in.. i cant get no ....

maggie may also ... and the list is nearly endless ...

ken

• naal
    10 years ago

Vettin - I too live in NOVA. If you're looking for local places to shop, the best is Merrifield. They have a decent collection and I have never seen signs of foliar nematodes or HVX. Another one I've had success with is Burke Nursery. The other nursery that starts with an 'M' has hosta infected with HVX; I've pointed it out to them on several occasions and they didn't do anything about it. Unfortunately, there's another nursery on Rt. 50 in Fairfax that starts with a "C" that also has had HVX. Again, I commented on it, but nothing was done. As the previous post have stated, mail order is a good option. Hope this helps!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Vettin...any chance of lighting a firecracker under their ***** by visiting these two culprits with your camera, taking pics of the incriminating evidence, and reporting to appropriate authority? Some pro-active members of this forum have done just that.

Jo

• naal
    9 years ago

Well, I must correct my previous statement of Burke Nursery. Went there this past weekend and they had a boat load of Ginko Craigs that had HVX. I pointed it out to management, who agreed, that indeed it was HVX. Supposedly they were going to be removed. I have not gone by to see if that has occurred, but plan on it sometime this week.

BTW, I forgot to mention another STELLAR seller of hostas (shame on me): Heather Hill Gardens on Rt. 123 near Lorton. They are actively involved in the Potomac Hosta Club. They have a lovely garden with mature hostas and are more than happy to let you walk around and admire. The only drawback is that they are expensive, but you can buy with confidence the hosta are healthy.

• Rosa M
    2 years ago

Bump8ng up…Eight years late….some of the nurseries have gone out of business. Where would hosta lovers go to get mature hostas in the DC-MD-VA area? I’m too old to wait for them to get big:) I have shopped at Merrifield and satis field with quality but their selection seems to get smaller each year. Would prefer to actually see the hostas I’m buying.

• Nancy Lucas
    2 years ago

Other than Merrifield, Heather Hill Gardens on Rt. 123 near Lorton is your best bet. Burke Nursery has seemed to clean up their HVX problem (haven't noticed any on my frequent trips there in the past couple of years. Rosa, where do you live?

• Rosa M
    2 years ago

I’m in Great Falls so I can definitely make a trip to Heather Hill and Burke Nursery. Thanks so much for the tip Nancy.