Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Devil's Advocate

santamiller
9 years ago

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. It's one of the few I have seen that actually shows tolerance through zone 9, so I'm optimistic that it do well for me here in San Antonio. The edges are starting to show some color change.

Comments (20)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I had to look that one up. Great looking plant,

bk

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Bought one yesterday and am hoping for good things. Right now it looks like a plain green hosta, so most people aren't giving it a second look.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I have that one. It's still emerging right now. Hopefully, I can grab some pics, soon. It has a different coloration than most, very subtle. Nice choice!

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I bought mine a few years ago. Can't wait to see how it will look this year. Here's a pic from last year.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant, tepelus. How wide is that?

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I don't really remember. Probably between 2-3 feet wide.

Karen

• User
    9 years ago

Santa, I do not have Devil's Advocate. In your plant I thought it was a plain one color, and took a second look after Tepelus posted hers with obvious different margin color. Nice!

In case you are seeking some blue ones which could fare well in San Antonio, I'll show some of my blue hosta in a group shot. If you notice anything that strikes your fancy, and it is not identified, I'll see about a name for you, and separate shots....but we can do that on a different thread if you like. Don't want to divert your Devil's Advocate discussion.

In our higher zone 9a, look for the ones with heavy substance and the blue color you like.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Devil's Advocate' looks pretty cool. The variegation reminds me of 'Dark Shadows' on the right in pic.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Holy Hosta, Don! That wouldn't be 'Victory' to the left, would it? No, I must be way off...it begs to be identified..please?

I'm not keen on having another devil in my garden...one is enough (Lucifer Crocosmia) lol.....that's why I'm after Dark Shadows.

BUT, I have to acknowledge that DA takes my breath away - quite beautiful in both pictures, Santa and Karen. Hmmmm...

Mocc, I don't recall as you showcase your blues as much, but those look very pretty, soft and calming...I imagine they evoke a "cooling" of the senses in the intense heat of summer, while one's eye strays to them...even if they lose some of the blue.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ah, Jo, that's 'Gone with the Wind'. The ruffled edges on it are just insane, so pronounced. I bought GWTW last year from Hallson Gardens, and Chris threw in 'Dark Shadows' as a gift. Pretty cool, eh?

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 15:24

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Devil's Advocate is the most exciting bonus plant I've ever received...also courtesy of the good folks at Hallson's. I had added it and removed it from my order several times as I dithered over how to allocate my birthday hosta fund. In the end it was left out, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find it!

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

moccâ¦â¦very nice selection you have. The blues that I have now are Wishing Well, two Drinking Gourds and just got a Fragrant Blue from Hallson last week. The Drinking Gourds I've had for 2 years and have both done great. One is potted and one is in the ground, the only hosta I have in the ground except for the Wishing Well, which I picked up two weeks ago. I attached a link in case you have not seen this one before.

All of what you have look great, so please feel free to suggest anything at all and I'll add them to my list. I very much appreciate your advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wishing Well

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Donâ¦..I had not seen a hosta with ruffled edges before. That's super looking.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Glad you like it, Santamiller. Stick around a while, and you'll see LOTS of ruffle-edged hostas. : )

Don B.

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll be here. I'm an official addict.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Cool it is, Don! Lucky you...and you collect a lot of real lookers! This is definitely going to be an exciting "leap" year for many of us as our 3-yr. olds emerge...not that all will achieve maturity but they will start to take on more characteristics of maturity.

9 years ago

I have Wishing Well, santamiller. It is my favorite blue and my bluest blue! You're gonna love, love it! Here's a pic from last year:

• User
    9 years ago

Funn, love the way you set off the blue tones of Wishing Well with the chartreuse companions. It is a beauty .

• santamiller
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautifully done! It really does bring out the color by using the green contrast.

9 years ago

Thanks, guys. Here's Wishing Well's pic today, just starting to unfurl. Can't wait to see her in all her glory:

And here's Devil's Advocate today, just waking up, too.