Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

3" snow yesterday morn .. 18 degrees this morning

go ahead and mock me with your spring pix ... you know you are dying to do it ... reach for the gold ring ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: yeah.. somethings broken ... crikey ...

Comments (25)

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

brr. we had a slight dusting of snow, which has already disappeared. Temps this morning were below 30, so I wrapped my wintersown containers last nite.

I'm glad I hadn't yet planted anything out.

Hope your Spring comes soon.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Here another several inches of snow this morning also in a zone 5, Hudson river is flooding. High temp today a sunny 45. Hostas were smart, do not show any pips yet. 4 inches snow supposedly is poor man's fertilizer.
    But most of the snow has melted away by the bright sun. Tomorrow will be in the 50s, so some day I will see pips. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 15:27

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Wow, I feel for you. We were supposed to have a frost/freeze yesterday morning. It only went to 35 or so, but there was no way to cover all these hosta had it gone any lower.

Look on the bright side, there was a year around 1870 where there was no summer. You may have a short one, but there should be a summer.

Sorry you're having such a long winter.

bk

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

26 here right now. Light dusting of snow last nite, more on the way according to radar and due to start within minutes. This on top of the 2-3 inches of snow we rec'd Sunday/ Sunday night.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

We went from 84 degrees Saturday to an inch of snow Monday morning. Tuesday morning it got down to 24 degrees. There are some hosta pips up, but they seem to have taken the weather in stride.

Just wait until summer, when all the zone 6 and 7 people are frying and you have relatively cool weather. Your time will come.

This post was edited by MadPlanter1 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:13

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

My two lancifolia are the only ones emerging. Had a cold night. Right now it is 28 degrees Fahrenheit.

Really enjoyed watching the link you provided. Loved hearing that song---hadn't heard it for a long time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

still waiting for the mocking pix

• sheilaschnauzies
    9 years ago

We were right here with you in Omaha, Ken:( We had a record low of 22ú yesterday and got right at 3" of snow as well the day before. Yipes! My old late hosta friend Scooty told me some good advice - never rake out your gardens til May 1. She keeps proving herself right! Now if I could just convince my husband of that... on March 1 he starts raking! This week I had several hosta poking up too. Sigh.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Ken, I would totally accommodate you, but with the temps flirting with freezing tonight, it will probably exact retribution for you for my cheekiness!

Oh, what the he!!, what's life if not lived dangerously and truly, you did ask for it!

Here's hoping that yours sleeps until the RIGHT moment, and then blows your mind with beauty this year. As a second thought, let's hope that we eastern zone 7ers make it through this cold snap without damage.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

By mocking pix,I will not show you my Sagae lying flat to the ground,or my Lakeside Ripples doing the same. Hosta season is over. Hope you have a good one Ken! Phil

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Oh, no, Phil!!!!!! That is heartbreaking! I really feel for you.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Maybe we northerners are the lucky ones afterall? Sorry to hear of weather damage. There's still no pip to be even dreamed of in my yard....the landscape crew at a Green Bay nursery told me yesterday that they cannot dig below 3 feet anywhere in the area...still frozen. It was my bday and I was over there trying to find a tricolor beech & Gentsch Hemlock in the snow.....my Birkenstocks did not like that, but I had great fun! Would have bought the Gentsch, but he had icy snow pompoms which I decided not to have melt in my car. No one else was there...I think the nursery people thought I was nutso!

Great Cat Stevens "broken" link, Ken. He has been my favorite singer since the 1970s and I never tire of him. Had a nice little respit from my computer work just now, listening to a few more of his songs after "Morning"...thanks!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Belated Happy Birthday, Mary!!!
    Someone had posted a pic of a tricolour beech last year- sure was beautiful!
    Jo

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Well, OK, Ken. But I haven't had time to arrange everything yet, and the light isn't right, here is a pic from today. I could rub it in and show you my flowering tomato plants...

You can get back at me this summer with photos of your acres of hostas. ;-)

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Awesome, Babka! I expect to see a samurai walk into your hosta dojo and have some tea. : )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

A beautiful sight for hosta-starved eyes. ;-)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Here's a mocking post...

Ha, ha, Ken. I only got 1 inch of snow and it only dropped to 23 degrees.

tj

• esox48
    9 years ago

My hostas are sitting underground where they belong. Only Choo Choo Train has sent eyes up high enough to see, and I stuck more leaves over them.

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

esox48....you've got pips in MN? I'd better get out and look again!

babka....LOVE your enclosure....did you design that? Very cool. (The hostas, too.)

Thanks for the well-wishing, Josephine!

M

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

Here is Lancifolia going good! I have cheated the weather though and have them in a heated mini greenhouse.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

For KEN:

Mock, mock.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yeah, 4 inches of rain sunday followed by 26 degrees and 2 inches of snow.

the early spring crocus are just starting to pip, the trillium are done and gone ...

stores are selling mulch now too ...

the signs are here

dave *near DM*

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Here they are! I'd better get going so I can uncover them before I leave for work. Bright sun and sixty degrees today, I'll have cooked hostas if I leave them covered.
    Kathy

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

No sympathy here. I woke to 9" of "heart attack" snow.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I know that so many of you have had a long, cold winter, ....but I'm glad it wasn't me this year. ;-) Usually I still have snow while other zone 5ers are posting their pips, but this year I've got hostas in various stages of growth, and they're eager to get going. Here's a couple of the biggest ones near the house:

Satisfaction

Arc de Triomphe

Our last (average) frost date is just under a month away, mid May, so I'm hoping for the best because I won't baby them if the temps get low.

And some early tulips just because they're so pretty!