Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomahawkclaim

Gesila, is that Tattoo in your temporary bed?

tomahawkclaim
12 years ago

You posted a pic in the minuteman/patriot thread. There's a hosta with a watermark in the upper right corner. Is it Tattoo? If not, what? I want it!! But I've heard terrible things about Tattoo. Nance

Comments (7)

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Yes Nance, that is Tattoo. I heard the same about it, but not till after I bought it. It's already up with two eyes. I had it covered last night, am hoping that it didn't suffer from the freeze.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I bought a piece of Tattoo from a lady from her plant that had been growing really well, planted it in a spot that was moist, not wet, with some sun but nothing scorching. Dang thing rotted over the winter. The spot must have been wetter than I thought, and we had a lot of snow that year which got piled on where Tattoo was growing from shoveling the patio. I think the key to keeping this fussy hosta alive is to not let it sit somewhere wet during the winter. If I ever try it again, it'll remain in a pot where I can keep it dry in the winter.

Karen

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Nance, I added Tattoo last year as a 3 eye piece off a mature plant - looks like will have 10 eyes (yowsers) for this year and another 2-3 small dormant eyes for future....very excited to see this one leaf out. I'm sure it helped to get divisions off one that was growing well. Only second year, so I guess we'll see in a few years how it does. The area along the deck gets bright shade and I watered by hand pretty often for 1st year (last year we got good rainfall for most of the spring/summer as well). I am also trying Eskimo Pie and Peppermint Ice in similar lighting - so far so good.

Paul

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Ok, I have been eyeballing Tattoo and recognize it is difficult at best for some to grow. But if you happen to get a vigorous one, it is well worth it. I may give it a try. Does it like more sun?

• franknjim
    11 years ago

I have my Tattoo planted in a spot that would give Ken nightmares.

My Tattoo is planted under a 3' Japanese Maple that is planted under a 12' Eastern Redbud that is planted under a 50' Silver Maple! It is on it's third year now. Was a small single eye when I got it. I think it has 3 or 4 eyes now. I guess you could say that mine is in heavy shade with no morning sun. It gets a lot of water.

• Cindy
    11 years ago

So Franknjim, yours is "triple layered" in the shade?!

• Cindy Johnston
    11 years ago

Mine gets bright light all day and about 2 hours of early afternoon sun. It isn't located exactly where I would prefer but it is doing relatively well so I'm leaving it.
    Cj