Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant greed - must resist

Posted by anniegolden z7a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 8:29

Oh no. You all just had to go and mention Hallsons so much that I jjust had to go look for myself. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Do not add anything to your cart. I'm doomed.
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant greed - must resist

You aren't looking for support here, are you? We'll give you support! Need the names of a few more vendors? How about some more hosta pictures? I know! Subscribe to the yahoo group, hostapix and get to talk one on one with all the major hybridizers! Oh yeah and the AHS facebook page! Bwahahahahaha!

o

To further your addiction start hybridizing and growing your own hosta seed. You will enjoy making your own seedlings and coming up with your own creations!

For more ideas and to see seedling photos others have created Log In to the Hostaseedgrowers forum.

What a fun addiction the Hosta is!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hostaseedgrowers forum

o

Bwahaha back atcha.

I think they need to redo the wording.
Old wording: 'Here's a link that might be useful'
New wording choices: 'Here's a link that might be enabling'
or 'Here's a link that will put you in the poorhouse.
or 'Here's a link that will deprive you of sleep'
or 'Here's a link that will have you contemplating knocking down the garage because there is no more room in your yard for anything.'

At Hallsons it was actually the astilbe that pushed me over the edge. I can't live without that really tall purple one. Oh, and then there's that flourescent hot pink creation. Oh, and the hosta with red stems and fragrant white flowers...

Christine

o

Here's a link to make you realize we're just starting-

Paul

and more from the same as below.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Enabling, poorhouse, sleep deprivation, make more room for Hostas link

o

N O R O O M.
N O M O N E Y.
N O S L E E P.

no willpower

Beautiful pictures. I especially like panoramic shots. I was resisting nicely until Blue Without You drifted by.

Christine

o

Oh and Christine don't pass up taking a look at the live auction in the Hostalibrary.org plus you have to visit the FOOSF website which stands for Faternal Order of Seedy Fellows. Numerous breeders show their creations you won't find most anywhere BUT you can email them to find out what their selling and the price. Who doesn't want that gorgeous rare hosta that few others have. You never know you just might get a bargain. Case in point I'm picking up H. Gunther's Prize this Friday for just $30.00.

Scott

o

go away

o

You need a Captian Kirk. Paula

o

Hosta Seed Growers forum is having an auction on Hosta Library.org May 5-12..... I am thinking is the date.

Have a feeling there could be a few one of kind seedlings up for auction!

o

watermelon, watermelon, watermelon, watermelon (holding hands over ears) (Just so you don't think I'm nuts, this is what we used to do to avoid hearing our mother - hold hands over ears and say 'watermelon' over and overr.
Christine

o

Trudy is one of the main hosta seedlings growers at the Hosta Seed Growers forum. Thanks Trudy for your seeds you had sent me! I got some nice streaked seedlings coming up from your seeds, too small yet for good pictures, I enjoy them!

Most of my seedlings are from open pollinated seeds which anybody here can do, they have been 'hybridized' by bees. It lets me continue gardening in Winter.
Bernd

o

Christine -- you should just sign off the forum and never check in here again (haha) OR admit that your new habit is stimulating the economy and not hurting anyone and keeping you "off the streets and out of trouble" All good things, right??!!!(And digging is great aerobic exercise.)
Jan

o

Thanks for the kind words on the seeds, Bernd! Always fun to watch the seedlings mature as they change over the years.

Hosta seed growing is a great way to get your hands dirty in the winter. Does not really take all that much equipment to get started.

o

Resistance Is Futile.

o

Yeah, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Just go with it, enjoy your trip to the poorhouse. You'll have lots of company. :)

My DH is now wondering about HOW MANY, and the boy can count. I give him a figure, and say that's the total counting ALL I've ordered including those not yet shipped. So that when the next order is delivered, I tell him it was in the total I gave earlier. Hmmmm, well now he says he will soon need a MACHETE to get close to the house. So, I show him the picture of the hosta MACHETE, and ask if he wants me to get it specially for him.

Life is good in the garden. :)

o

From Master Yoda-

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Do not fear the hosta greed.

Paul

o

In her latest book American author Anna Quindlen says "A safety net of small white lies can be the bedrock of a successful marriage. You wouldn't believe how cheaply I can do a kitchen renovation." I wonder if she grows hostas?
Jan

o

Jan, she must throw away the receipts too. Cheap and renovation are never in the same sentence with kitchen.

o

Local gardening author refers to it as "Plant Lust" which I like better than greed.. ;) I would rather be lusty than greedy. I think. ;)

o

In the financial forum I read the contributors always write to live under your means to be financially secure. But they should write that to be happy is more important, which means you must buy hostas anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here