Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shade_tolerant

Purple Haze

shade_tolerant
13 years ago

The purple is finally hitting me this spring. I noticed it faintly in previous years. Not sure if you can see it but there is even a light purple edge to some of the leaves.

Comments (15)

• caliloo
    13 years ago

WOW!!!!! It is awesome!

Okay........sigh........ going on the list

Alexa

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Very cool.
    That's been on my list for a couple years now. Of course, it'd have to have a prominent spot right up front, but dang, they ALL need that!

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Alexa and Melissa. Too bad the purple doesn't hold but it's nice while it lasts.

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

What? Doesn't hold? Just how long does it stay and is it worth the front row spot later in the season? I have it on my 'wish list' and really wanted it but didn't read up on it enough to know it changed as the season progressed.

Answers please as it might go down farther on the list.

Connie

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Connie I'm basing this on previous years. It does have a place up front since I don't want to miss the purple show, also it needs good light to color up. It supposedly has more of this coloring in the spring. This is the first year since I've had it that I really noticed the purple, previous years I had to look a bit for it. I will see exactly how long the purple holds this year and post later on.
    If anyone else is growing Purple Haze maybe they have comments/pix??
    Eileen

• joebar
    13 years ago

shade- you are growing some killer hostas! on my list...

• jel48
    13 years ago

Really like that one!

• davej_07
    13 years ago

Ive had mine for a few years and the purple stays most of the summer as long as it doesnt get too much sun. Interested to see what it looks like this year:)

Dave

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Joyce and Joebar.
    Dave you're finding the purple is lasting longer with less light? That is interesting, I have two of them, the one that gets less light (morning sun) has less purple, then again it's not as old as the one pictured. I really have to keep an eye on my two this year and see how long they hold their color.

• davej_07
    13 years ago

I may have phrased that wrong. Mine gets sun until 2pm and stayed purple all season. I meant that it may do well with less sun than that. Lol, it made sense in my head.....at least until I re-read it.
    You have to remember, Im a guy who give them all the sun they want unless they cant take it. My Sagae grows in full sun, The only ones I make sure dont get too much are my blues.

Dave

• yardmom
    13 years ago

Eileen, your Purple Haze is beautiful! I hesitated buying it, but now it is going on my wish list!

Dave, don't your hostas in the sun burn out in August? Do you water them a lot in the sun? I am faced with a new yard with very little shade, no flower beds, and about 150 hostas in pots to go in the ground somewhere.

• hostasformez4
    13 years ago

It's back near the top of my list after reading all lthe information from you guys.

I'm saving this post so when I get it I will know where to place mine in the garden.

Connie

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dorothy. It's getting harder and harder to find something a bit different in hostas.
    Connie I think you will like it, just give it some time to mature and show the purple color.
    Dave I get what you're saying now :-)

• davej_07
    13 years ago

Those that are more prone to burn stay in areas that get less sun. Hosta will adapt wonderfully to more light, in fact they thrive in it. They may not always look the best they can be but I guarantee your plants will grow faster and set more roots. The other side of this is that they will need more watering. I tend to keep my blues out of too much sun as they wouldnt stay blue too long.

Dave

• oldgroveauto_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I got a purple haze hosta last year, and it came with great purple color. I haven't noticed much purple this year, but it is growing like a weed. Do you think it just needs some more maturing time? It gets some sun, and is growing so well I hate to move it yet.
    Thanks,
    Heather