Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiddisolo_gw

I'll show you mine if you show me yours !

Pips I mean. I know a lot of you guys are still struggling with low temperatures and frozen ground, I thought I would post a few pics of my emerging plants.
It's been a very mild winter here in Wales but apparently the wettest on record.
All the pots outside have come through unscathed and every thing is starting to push through. Wouldn't you know it, the weatherman forecasts temperatures close enough to freezing to guarantee frost up here on this Welsh hillside.
If you have emerging plants lets see some, if you haven't post some old ones.

Sagae

Paul's Glory

Wide Brim

June Fever

Journey's End

June

And all these will need fleece over them tonight !

Also got quite a few in the greenhouse that need TLC and will need fleece over .
Still, it will be worth the effort to see them in all their glory later on.
Dave

Comments (12)

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Wowser! You are in full swing there with your pots and pips all lined up! Just curious...do you sell them, or are you going to place them out and about in your yard? Your pips are really looking good, I can't wait for mine to show. Sorry I can't add to the pip show...I can't find any pics of pips!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Dave, the first time I saw your pots all lined up it left quite an impression on me. I am still in awe!

Your pips are fabulous --- and plentiful ... With beautiful tones of rose, burgundy, mauve, chartreuse..I find them to be as beautiful as the actual hostas they belong to...I can't wait for Revolution to emerge...when it does, I'll post some pics.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

My goodness Dave that is a bunch of pots to cover! How many are there anyway or have you lost count? I have a few pips showing but are from my pots I have purchased so far this year and the odd ones starting in the gardens. Impressive bunches of pips.
    Faye

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the kind words folks.
    Mary, they are just my own collection. A few doubles amongst them but not many.
    Faye,I guess there are about another 40 or so dotted around the place and around 300 in total although I gave up counting long ago.
    What you see is their winter storage area, lined up like that it makes it easy to throw a fleece over at night.
    Come the good weather they will be put out around the place.
    Dave

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Whoa, nice 'little' collection you've got going, Dave!

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Will you be putting some of these in the ground this Spring, Dave?

Steve

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Can't wait till mine look like that! Thanks for sharing.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I'll add a few to the mix. I haven't taken any pics yet of pips in the pot, but have managed to grab a few of the hostas emerging in the garden.

Here's Blueberry Cobbler, first up this year:

Luna Moth:

Dixie Cups, riding a bit shallow, for now:

Blue Jay:

Stand By Me:

The Shining:

Stained Glass:

That's enough for now!

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

I really like the use of stones as labels. Much better looking than my metal markers!

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Here are a few pictures taken this evening. The sun came out and it is quite pleasant following a mainly murky, rainy day. IâÂÂve got hostas in pots left, right and center clustered in groups around the house where they receive some light to stir them up, whilst the overhangs and decks shelter them from the rain (I live in a temperate rainforest region). Most are showing to some degree. The usual suspects (Liberty, Sagae, Montana A. Marginata etc.) I expected, but Raspberry Sundae and Marrakech surprised me in rising so early out of the blocks!
    Tiddisolo, that is quite the parade of hosta troops you have lined up there. IâÂÂm trying to contain my container community, so I am beginning to pass on âÂÂpensioned plantsâ to pastures new (friendâÂÂs gardens) - whilst the battle-scarred and the weary â¦get weeded out!
    Several of your pots are brimming with pips. TheyâÂÂll make for full flavoured drinks! Do you try to âÂÂmanageâ them any way so that they stay vigorous without needing to be repotted too frequently? Whatever youâÂÂre doing, or not doing for that matter, it seems to be working!
    BC

{{gwi:956045}}
    {{gwi:956047}}

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Thanks, Gary, I like the stones with the silver paint, I think the silver adds an extra flair to it. Some people don't use them b/c they don't like that they can be moved around by animals, etc. My hubby got around that with his brilliant idea of gluing a stake to the bottom of each. When he came up with that, I knew he was brilliant and I just thought, well, duh! That was too obvious! That's why I didn't think of it!

• User
    9 years ago

Lovely things to see this spring.

I'm looking for a shot of Surfer Dude as it began pipping a couple of days after it arrived from Plant Delights. The way I counted, I saw 20 pips. Or thereabouts.