Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New signs of life

Posted by jonnyb023 6a SE MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:55

Please scroll down to see the pics. Photo-bucket must have moved the pics and they didn't show up here, although I could see them at their site. I couldn't edit this post, so I made a new one. Also Victory is Liberty and the one I labeled Big Daddy is 'probably' fragrant bouquet. I really should take a paper and pencil with me on future walks with my camera.

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 12:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New signs of life

Great post, thanks for the pics!
The picture labeled Big Daddy looks more like the First Frost liner you posted below it or Sagae.
Vanessa

This post was edited by hippieindenial on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 9:38

o

Really enjoyed seeing your pictures. That Victory does look gorgeous.

o

Pretty sure it's Big Daddy Vanessa. The vein count is different, but they do look alike, I think they will be quite different in a short time.

Thanks to you and to you, newhosta lady, for the kudos. Enjoyed the walk around.

Jon

o

Good start to spring Jon!

And much further north, the 60 plus F warmth yesterday coaxed the first pips out of the ground. Lady Isobel Barnet is usually the first up and this year is no exception. She was a single eye in 2005, was split in 2010 and is a very respectable 34 pips this year.

Last frost here is typically about May 20 so a few weeks yet to go - I expect the other hostas all to show in the next week or ten days.

Doug

o

Wow thanks for the tour Jon. Weather all this week should be quite warm so things will be happening rapidly here. Must get my camera dusted off!
Jan

o

Doug, I have all together too many spots that look just like your example or are still just dirt. Our latest expected frost here is tomorrow, but since the temps keep getting into the 30s at night, I think all bets are off for the last frost date.

Thanks Jan, look forward to your pics.

Jon

o

After a long, long early Spring.......

Blue Hawaii (new) photo DSC_0580_zps261ad870.jpg

New purchase; Blue Hawaii

Brother Stefan (new) photo DSC_0582_zps0966c0e8.jpg

New; Brother Stefan

Sum and Substance photo DSC_0583_zps267e0c30.jpg

Sum and Substance, transplanted last year.

Sagae photo DSC_0584_zps7fd737c7.jpg

Sagae. I think this is 2 individual plants.

Elegans photo DSC_0585_zps94ea122e.jpg

Elegans

Her highness the Empress Wu photo DSC_0586_zpsb9d7ed22.jpg

Her royal highness; Empress Wu
Victory photo DSC_0587_zps1a7e39e8.jpg

Liberty.......OMG

Blue Angel photo DSC_0588_zps82bf42c1.jpg

Blue Angel. Poking out along the cascades.

Wide Brim photo DSC_0589_zpsb42c241e.jpg

Wide Brim, next to the Angel

Big Daddy photo DSC_0590_zpsf2e4409b.jpg

Fragrant Bouquet ???, making a bold entrance.

First Frost photo DSC_0591_zpsb82cf7a2.jpg

First Frost, one of 4 liners from last Fall. All 4 up.

Orange Marmalade photo DSC_0593_zps4cfe281c.jpg

Orange Marmalade...sweet

June photo DSC_0595_zps1d785b01.jpg

June

photo DSC_0596_zps9b3d1541.jpg

....and plenty of asparagus for the vegans among us.

Temps in the 50s and 60s with 30s, 40s at night. Many no shows still, but pips showing up all the time. Hope you enjoyed it.

Jon

o

Good to see plants come up up north,Jon! Yours look like mine did back in early April. Good to finally see pics from someone else! Phil

o

• Posted by stoc none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:31

Thanks for the pics!

o

Thanks Phil and stoc. I am sorry it is still not straightened out, but I don't dare try and edit it. The last picture is Sieboldiana, Elegans.

Jon

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 15:43

Jon- I have this picture in my head of you crawling around on you hands and knees with a camera in hand. I totally understand your excitement. Sometimes I "caress" the soil trying to feel a hard little eye getting ready to appear. I discovered too that you don't want to ever edit a post with a photo in it unless you are prepared to re-do the whole thing over again.

-Babka

o

Babka,

Luckily not much of my property is level so I don't have to lay down so far...usually, but anything for the better picture. With these 60 degree days, you can almost watch everything grow before your eyes.

I don't know what it is with photo-bucket and me lately. It seems when I exit the web page it refiles the pictures and they disappear to another location, somehow. I think I am going to exit first, go back, and then go through the trouble of getting and copying the links. It still isn't what I wanted, but twice through the pictures and enough is enough.

Jon

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 19:45

Looking good Jon !

I love this part of the year when they are just emerging and unfurling. So much action happening in the garden it’s hard to keep track on a day to day basis.

Keep us posted as they grow on. :)

Ludi

o

Yeah, I figured all those eye level photos had you down on the cold cold ground. Me, if I can pick up the pot, it gets placed where I don't have to crawl around. Getting too old for that.

Jon, just about every batch of photos I take I have to make a quick trip outside to read a label or identify a hosta in the background. Sun glaring off the tags can be really irritating.
I never take a pen and paper with me, but I attempt to include the tag in the shot. And, as soon as I come inside, I try to add tags to the photos before I forget who's who. This year, so many of my hosta are changing their appearance, it is a whole different ballgame.

And then I still have some which are reluctant to break dormancy. Someone (Gesila? Babka?) asked on another thread why I still had hosta dormant. I'll try to account for it in another thread. Not here.

Enjoy your emerging beauties, Jon. Impressive!

o

Ludi, I can now look out the window and see a forest of stalks ready to unfurl. We still have temps in the 30s, but you can smell the earth again.

Mocc, I have no labels (far less of a collection than you) and I keep overestimating my ability to remember where each picture was taken. I can remember the names when I am at the location, but, one patch of mulch looks pretty much the same when I download the pics.

Thanks to you both for the compliments...it makes the dirty knees worth it.

Jon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here