Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Mother Nature's Cruel Sense of Humor

hostanista
9 years ago

Yesterday it was 18 degrees C (64F!!) and FINALLY FINALLY all the snow had melted. Not a flake left!

This is what I woke up to this morning. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME??!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!

Comments (11)

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

We got about 4" I know it will melt in the next day or two, but enough is enough.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Had a winter like that last year.Thought it would never end but finally it did.That reallllllly sucks to say the least.

• Heather Macdonald
    9 years ago

Yep, it sure tests our patience and our sense of humour!! Our temp yesterday was 24C (78F) and tonight it's going down to -9 (18F)! Tulips and peonies are peeking up but no sign of the hostas yet. Fat buds on magnolia and rhododendrons, hope they're going to be ok when the temp drops and snow returns. :>(

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

3 inches here.. near ann arbor mi

ken

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

As trees go, Mother Nature is a real Beech.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

You know, the whims of the weather in your northerly reaches are a big puzzle to me. Probably the top temp so far this year HERE, has been 78F, but no way do we fluctuate so wildly as in Ontario.

Is that a normal fluctuation? My word, I do sympathize with you. Enough is enough. Time to have a real spring before summer gets here.

Meanwhile, first full moon of spring was last night, also a lunar eclipse which we had no chance to observe with a big lightning storm and total overcast here. And so Easter Sunday is upon us. Yet today, we have the unsettled feeling of weather which leads to hail and perchance tornado winds, and with the sailboats racing in the bay the chance of some being dismasted or struck by lightning.

I did not stay outdoors long, but I observed the hosta leaves whipping in wind gusts, the spanish moss twisting like it did last summer, and all three Japanese maples sheltering small birds waiting for room at the feeders.

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

Is this normal fluctuation? No, I don't think so. This area of Ontario has always been prone to sudden weather changes, probably due to the lake effect, but the extremes are more extreme. Spring used to be a gradual waking up - temperatures warming slowly, working their way into summer. Now, it's fast and sudden, and some of the seasons - like spring now- seem to have gone missing. But one of the glories of this area had always been the four seasons. Now I am not sure how many there are. One? Two? Sixteen?
    The snow has stayed all day - not a sign of melt. I spent my day cooking, since it seemed to be a good time to turn on the oven.
    Don, you are right. Nature can be a real beech, but then, so can I.

• miketropic
    9 years ago

we hit 83F sunday afternoon..and it snowed a half inch last night and freeze warnings tonight..nothing to do but wait it out...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Poor little guy! Looks how I felt yesterday :-(

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

My only sustenance has been web searches, on and and on for certain plants, shrubs, etc....and then local nurseries, trying to find them.... I am up to my eyeballs in beautiful web photos, plant descriptions, zones, etc.... I have amassed a huge favorites list of gardening blogs and Midwest garden centers. There's a new hosta wishlist of 19 hostas with no idea as to where I would put them. I've been in the local nurseries, scoping out shrub tags/prices in the frozen tundra. I have talked with my gardening pals on and on and on again, about new combinations and plans for this section and that. Everything is being done on this end EXCEPT FOR REAL ACTION! It is forced limbo, and so cruel!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Suffering with you! :-(. On the upside - your planning time while in limbo has its advantages :-). Soon...soon.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?