Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

Freeze/Frost forecast map

franknjim
12 years ago

This is the map that I have been keeping a close eye on. This picture will update throughout the day as things change. With so many hosta leafed out I am going to prepare for a few nights of lows predicted at 35 and 36 for the next week.

Mother Nature can be cruel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Intellicast Weather

Comments (13)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Thanks for the map, Frank. We have two nights of 32 degree weather forecast for Thursday and Friday night. I'm still covering those few that have elongated eyes.

Steve

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have about 180 up and unfurling. My biggest giant and Empress Wu will take sheets to cover. Some will take garbage cans but most will get covered with everything from 1 gallon to 30 gallon pots. Then there's the 60 new ones in pots, many flats of annuals, lots of pots and hanging baskets of annuals that will go in the garage and in the house. My local forecast predicts 38 as the lowest low for this next 7 days. My fingers are crossed that I won't have to do anything.

• linda_p
    12 years ago

Thanks, Frank! At the moment they're predicting 35 here tonight, and 33 tomorrow night. I have at least 400+ up and unfurled, and no way on earth to cover them all. Sure hoping that my hilltop location saves me once again.

Linda P

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

My Friday night forecast is 27, tonight 31 dgrs. That's why none of my hostas even thinks to leaf out. My magnolia tries to show pink buds again, after previous ones got frozen at 22 a week or so ago.
    Bernd

• Josh Spece
    12 years ago

It was too good to be true...

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

Wow, I am sitting right on the line for the frost..Only morning will tell me which side of that line !

Every old pot,garbage can and cooler is doing its duty.. I HOPE !

• Cindy
    12 years ago

According to the map, we are on the edge of a frost line for tomorrow but it is currently 60 degrees here at 8:30 pm. Still, our local forecast is 41 for tonight. As long as it doesn't drop further!

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

The light blue area not necessarily is accurate. Tonight and Monday night and for the next 10 days we are at more than 40 dgrs here in zone 5 of upstate NY.
    Bernd

• franknjim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think there has ever been any weather forecaster that has always been correct. I have never had much faith in them. I never count on their predictions for rain.

I think my aching bones do a pretty good job letting me know when a storm is coming! lol

• Cindy
    12 years ago

I want to kill myself!! My hostas are are knee high! Well, some are!

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

Its getting harder and harder to cover some of them.. and we are deep in the freeze tonight...

• Cindy
    12 years ago

Leafwatcher, I don't know about you but we didn't freeze but are hovering close to the line. Did you freeze?

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I didn't even bother to uncover mine from last night, the temps were not very warm today and I got home late from work, so at least I don't have to go out there tonight. Hoping it doesn't get any colder than the forecast of 33.

Karen