Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My deer solution works!

Posted by CindyCRNA none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 9:36

Well, it works for me. We often have deer feeding in the yard as we live on the edge of a forest. I have been using Bobbex-R for 3 years using the higher concentration of 1 cup repellent to 4 cups water. This is the is the formula they suggest for fall and winter spraying to prevent drying (anti-transpirent) I use the higher concentration rather than the 1-8 they suggest for repellant. Also, in the spring, I spray about every 3 days as there are so many new leaves coming out, I get paranoid when a leaf is "unprotected" by the malodorous scent of Bobbex. My neighbor said she has had less hosta damage since I have been spraying also. There is a downside to all of this. It is expensive as I will probably use $150-$200 of Bobbex. You have to be vigilant. I spray at least once every 5 days throughout the summer and every 3 days in the spring. I have some Plantskyyd in the garage I am going to bust out this year but am just going to spray the ground as I hear the stuff can leave your plants a little red. But is is supposed to last much longer than Bobbex. It also works different as it is the smell of slaughterhouse and the Bobbex smells like garlic and rotten egg. Anyone use the Plantskyyd before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My deer solution works!

wow Cindy -- you deserve every ounce of pleasure you get from your garden, you work SO HARD to nurture it! I fear I would just wring my hands in despair and grow only barberry shrubs!
Jan

o
RE: My deer solution works!

I know, Jan. I think about this spray schedule but boy, I do love hostas! I have also an extreme fondness for Coral Bells (Heuchera)and have maybe 25-30 of them. Very little bothers them although I do think a rabbit did nibble a couple last year so they get an occasional spray just for safe keeping. Oh, did I mention I also spray my daylilies the same way because I have had deer clear an entire summers bloom in 1 evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here