Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Jungle

Posted by berndnyz5 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 9:49

It is getting warmer here in zone 5, today will be 57 dgrs. Yesterday I shoveled snow, moved snow from higher snow areas to the showing lawn. I also saw my first pips, two of a blue seedling which I had to push back into the soil. I saw no vole holes, so perhaps I am lucky.

BUT in my basement I have a hosta jungle. My 40 or so streaker seedlings are doing great, still in 9 oz cups (3 inch dia on top), and I have to keep raising the fluorescent lights.
Bernd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Jungle

Here is another view of my hosta jungle in my basement. These are about 40 cups standing in 2 trays in 1/2-3/4 inch water with half strength tomato fertilizer and a little fungicide.
I planted the seeds November 15. Plants are under 24 hrs light.
Seeds are from Dan and my own crosses. In my crosses I used seedlings of h.'Blue Lighting' and 'Fickle Blue Genes' which happened to bloom last year, seeds were from Mr. Hosta of Land of the Giants.
Bernd

o

crikey man... you rocked out the potential for seedlings... congrats ...

i tried standing them in water ... but in winter.. i had an ice of water on the windows in the house ... due to tropical house humidity ....how did you avoid that????

i only use 1/4 teaspoon fert per gallon ... you could probably the fert use ... but if you arent getting salt buildup ... and also changing your media on up-potting.. i suppose there is no downside ...

whats the theory on the fungicide???? ..... they are hosta.. ya know.. lol ... lets see.. fungus.. root rot.. ah.... damping off??? ... you are way past that stage ... probably could backoff on continuing use of that ...

but who am i to say.. with this brilliant success ... dont overthink it.. and change anything ... thats usually where i screw it up ... lol ...

ken

o

Hi Ken, thanks for your endorsement!
I believe in seeing a little garden inside in winter. I go down in my basement, is somehow finished, can sit there on a couch, read something, have a coffee and put my head into that growth 'chamber', keeps the spirit up even when there is still snow around outside.

I have these in the basement with a room temperature of 60 dgrs, but they are in a chamber on shelves with the lights heating it up to 66 dgrs, and there was never any ice. I use a little Captan fungicide to prevent any formation of mildew or fungus, seems to work.
Those plants do not show any effects of salt builtup yet, except perhaps some wide spots on the corner of a few leaves. One plant I was repotting because several leaves had dried up. I will repot them all when I bring them outside perhaps in a month. So far all I have to do to accommodate their growth is raise the fluorescent lights.
Bernd

o

Those are fantastic looking seedlings!!

o

salt buildup would be a crust on the top of the media ... though since you dont water from the top.. maybe it wouldnt be there ...

fert is a salt ... and worn out media ... has a crust around the edge ..

your media is probably not old enough.. nor used up enough

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: random link about salt buildup.. i did not study it.. i just looked at the pix so you can see such ....

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:57

Oh my Bernd! Your Hosta Jungle is enchanting. I've never seen so many streakers in one place. How will you ever cull those? Each one is unique.

-Babka

o

Thanks Ken! There are no crusts. I potted those from the seedling cells about 3 months ago, and the seedlings are hungry to eat up all those fertilizer 'salts'.
Babka, I swore to not increase my beds, but some spots in my lawn possibly need rounding off. And then I had two trees removed, so there are opportunities to plant them.

I wanted to show that there is gardening with hostas for all when the garden is at rest, even when there is a lot of snow outside.

o

Bernd...I could just eat those hosta up they are so luscious looking!! Lol
I'm just so amazed at their growth. It really is nice to see the progression of your beautiful streakers. Man, they are something else!

If you have too many, I know of a very welcoming home for them in Barrie, Ontario!!! Lol

Love that jungle!

Jo

o

Hi Bernd; They're looking A+, man! They are really quite healthy and beefy-looking. The only thing I don't envy is you can't keep 'em all, but you'll know which ones will be keepers or not. You all will get me into this winter hobby eventually, I'm sure. Great work! : )

Don B.

o

It would be great when some of you would be enabled to also grow seedlings from seeds. All you need is some basic equipment, use your own seeds, or buy seeds at the auctions at the Hosta Library, or do your own hybridizing. Note to get variegated hostas you need to get seeds from streakers.

You could frequent the Hosta seed growers forum. Don Rawson has collected a lot of great info in his Hosta Hybridizing book, is now for sale again at the Hosta Library auction, it is at his cost. Anyway, it is always good to have some fun!
Bernd

o

Per Josephine's request, here is an update of my hosta seedlings in one tray. The light is now in its highest possible mounting, some leaves actually curl around the fluorescent bulbs. But they have to be patient for about another 10 days to get bigger pots and move outside, that is a few hours in the shade and overnight into the garage. They shall not get any temperature below 50 dgrs or their growth will stop. They got so big because their genes are from large hostas. These plants are from seeds I planted Nov.15, had 24 hrs light since then and half strength fertilizer. Bernd

o

Thank you Bernd! You are very accommodating!

I can see how much taller they've gotten from the very first photo you posted. They look very lush and the next week or so can't come fast enough for you I imagine. Seed growing is so satisfying and you present it so well that I wouldn't be surprised if more of us try it next winter. I've certainly been encouraged. Thank you for sharing your expertise and your photos.

It will be great to see them continue to thrive outdoors soon!

Jo

o

Bernd, you have the touch! From start to finish, these are beautifully grown and well cared for. It is like having your very own pot of gold growing in your basement.

I don't think you need to cull a thing. You can send a few of the overage to forum members for sake keeping. I volunteer for sure!

How can you ever top this performance!

o

Jo, others in the Hosta Seed Growers Forum do 100 times as much every winter and have much better results to show. It kept me gardening over winter, and our winters are worse than yours, Moccasin. Since January I am also growing seedlings from seeds I bought from Trudy and Mr. Hosta (LotG) at auctions, but those seedlings are much smaller.
I will show more pictures once I have the big ones repotted and outside. Outside right now I observed that around 10 are showing pips.
Here is a view of the other tray from yesterday.
Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 8:25

o

Looking forward to those pics, Bernd!

I couldn't handle that great a volume. My biggest problem is with loss. And the eventual culling. When I was a teenager helping my parents thin the field grown lettuce, I was always saying to my Mom, can't we keep them somewhere? I hated to throw them out. I understood of course, but emotion ruled. It still does when it comes to gardening - I just want to "save" everything regardless of the odds against winning.

I would be the one going to the expense of potting them (the weak and under-achieved ones) and giving them away, not throwing them out. Is there any hope for me as a seed grower? Lol

o

Bernd, you do make magic in your seedling plants. The growth and colors are remarkable. I still have seed that Dansgarden gave me but late to plant this year unless directly into my raised bed. Would this also work? I would hate to lose these streaked seed if it doesn't work. Any suggestions as to seed planting outside? I seen to have good luck growing hosta so far in my early found love but next maybe comes seeds
Our snow is all gone now and pips showing everywhere . I think I only lost two to moles but my cats bring at least two dead ones a day so thinning them out .
Beautiful healthy plants! Thanks for sharing
Faye

o

Josephine, my culling is easy because my back controls that. It says : no more digging up lawn. So I can plant only so many, the rest I probably will let the local Hosta society sell in August.
Faye, you can plant hosta seeds outside right now. They will germinate and grow as the weather warms up, and end of Fall you will have sturdy plants. Young plants can easily dry up because they only have small roots, so you need to water them frequently.
About culling : You have to know what you want to get in small plants. Most seeds of streaked mother plants will result in streaked seedlings, green ones you would cull. In respect of seeds of single color mother plants, you will look in seedlings for characteristics like color, twisted/curly leaves, leaves of convoluted shape, round leaves, etc., others you would cull.
It is fun!
Bernd

o

Bernd, is it half strength of liquid tomato fertilizer? How about the granular type? and those cups are standing in the 1/2-3/4" water all the time? I started mine in March and its about an inch tall right now, was wondering what kind of fertilizer to get them grow faster.
Thks,

o

Too much fertilizer might burn them, especially when they are small. I use a little less than half strength Miracle Grow Tomato fertilizer desolved in water in pint size milk bottles, then poured into the trays. I need to fill the trays every 2 days now (just measured it) to 3/4 inch deep, and that goes down to 3/8 probably in between waterings. Bernd

o

Thanks Bernd.

o

I understand fully about the backache, Bernd! I'm glad the rest of your seedlings go to a good home. It's a nice contribution to make to your local Hosta Society, way to go Bernd. :-)

I'm beginning to understand and appreciate the concept of selective culling. Thank you.

Jo

o

This is amazing to me - well done!

o

Those look so good! can't wait to see them outside in there proper place. You can see such a difference from the first pic to the next. well done sir well done.

o
Hostas are Outside now!

I brought my jungle outside. Here they are at 73 dgrs today in the shade. In a few weeks they will think it is normal to live outside. Nights will be in the 40s, so I will bring them into the garage, below 50s supposedly stops their growing. None of my in-ground hostas has leafed out yet.
Bernd

o

Bernd! Wow, look how big they are! Bet they enjoyed the outdoors today. You are very efficient - sure won't take long to bring them indoors for the night. Thank you for the update - you've anticipated a request before it was made. :-)

Jo

P.S. Did you get a look at my Success thread yet? A surprise!

o

They look good, Bernd.

bk

o

Thanks!
Jo, yes I looked, very nice that you have those. That caused me to give an update, plus I was happy having the seedlings outside finally, and the weather was really nice. I noticed in the weather forecast that in a week night temperatures will be in the 50s, so I can leave them outside.
My seedlings are so big because I started them early, but finally they got too big. Bernd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here