Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would be a good systemic fungicide?

Posted by moccasinlanding z9A AL (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 10:07

Inquiring minds need to know.

Can someone give me a brand name for a "good systemic fungicide" for my container hosta?

The term was in the thread by EstherB about ebay stage 4 liners offered for sale.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would be a good systemic fungicide?

can someone give me a need for such ...????

what fungus lives INSIDE hosta????

we shouldnt really encourage.. willy nilly use of chems ... until we are sure you have a need for them ...

and if you tell me the media... then why do you need it in the system of the hosta???

i am so confused ..

ken

ps: really now.. gleaning brilliant ideas from an ebay seller??????

o

I was just going by the material quoted in an eBay listing, quoted by .... EstherB I think it was. Let me get the link to that thread.

In this information where they were selling stage 4 starter plugs of hosta, they recommended a good systemic fungicide to keep the little TCs clear of fungi.

It sounded to me like there was such a chemical product available, and I wanted to be informed. Not considering applying chemicals helter skelter here, since I believe in keeping my wild bird and natural predator population healthy.

What could such a systemic fungicide be, that's what I wish to know. And you are right, Ken, what was I thinking, but sometimes I discover that I (moi) am the one living in an alternate reality, there is a whole different world out there...with folks living in it.

o

I need a good fungicide in order to grow roses here. Hybrid Tea roses cannot survive in this area without some form of Black Spot control. In fact, I have removed most of my "HT's" simply because of the amount of spraying involved.

Many of those posting to the Rose Forum believe that Bayer Advanced Disease Control For Roses, Flowers and Shrubs is the most effective product available. I reluctantly use it with success.

o

The one to use is Physan 20. Several of us hybridizers are currently using it while germinating our hosta seeds. I'm not sure if it is a "systemic fungicide", but it is a fungicide (and other disease control, etc.) which is suitable for use on seeds, young seedlings, and a wide range of other applications. You can buy it on ebay...and one bottle goes a long ways.

o

Mocc,

It seems to me to be unwise to treat for a problem that you haven't experienced. That's what Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is. First you identify a problem, then you identify the least toxic method of solving it. That would be my advice.

Steve

o

i too used to collect roses .. and all the chem use is one of the reasons why i quit ... didnt need to being do all that with babes in the yard ... [i mean children.. not your hosta.. lol]

i can see the need for such.. with seedlings.. damp off.. etc ... and babe TC are no different than seedlings ... by that stage ... especially in a greenhouse situation ... its so totally different than outdoors ...

but i see no need in large pots with fully mature hosta ...

it comes down.. as usual .. health risks aside... i dont think its worth the money/cost ... no one has claimed any benefit .. for what i think moc wants to use it for ...

ken

o

I read Bayer Advanced Disease Control fights crown rot. I had that last year on a very large h.'Blue Umbrellas' and it worked to stop rot. I plan to spray the grounds around plants with that several times this year.
For growing seedlings from seeds I use Captan. I put a little Captan into water in the tray, and the medium in seedling cups transports it together with fertilizer via capillary action up to the surface of the cup. I have no molds in those cups. When the ground around plants is drenched with a fungicide, then the fungicide hopefully protects the plant.
Bernd

o

I just read again The Hosta Journal 2013 Volume 44 Number 1. There on page 18, Warren J. Pollock of Pa writes about using an 'all-purpose systemic fungicide such as Cleary 3336' when using topsoil as part of a potting mix for planting hostas in containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Systemic fungicide Cleary 3336

o

Duly noted, Babka.

However, I do not use topsoil as part of my potting mix. How effective would it be when NOT using topsoil, I wonder.

o

When all your parts of the mix are sterile you probably do not need a fungicide so much, but spores can blow in, come from insects and rain, or arrive after you touching other plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here