Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Ring-around the Japanese Maple...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Here is a pic from this year of my ring of Golden Tiaras around one of my red Japanese maples. I bought a pot of GT's From my local nursery last year,and separated the many eyes in the pot and planted them. These guys were not affected by the freeze,and they are growing like crazy! The plant back by the old stump is a Wide Brim,in case anyone wants to know. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:958311}}

Comments (17)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I always enjoy your photos. Lovely. Thanks for sharing.

bk

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My experience with 'Golden Tiara' is that they grow to dense and wide clumps in a few years, are indestructive, might take over that maple. Have fun! Bernd

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Very nice, I'm sure in no time at all Golden Tiara will fill in nicely around your Japanese Maple. I love those trees and just bought 2 more to plant in my yard.

Linda

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

wish i had thought of that

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I think the maple will win the root war. Here's one of my seedling Japanese Maples. It was a 15 gal container in 1994. The trunk is 10" diameter and the tree is about 20' tall.

-Babka

{{gwi:958312}}

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by Babka on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 19:34

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Japanese maple is very young and I doubt it will interfere with the Golden Tiaras in my lifetime! The roots probably are not even out to where the GT's are yet,so it will be awhile,considering how slow Japanese maples grow. I have a good portion of my garden under a native red maple,and the hostas thrive under it for 8 years now,so I'm not worried! Phil

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Phil,

What are the hosta inside the ring, closer to the tree truck? They look larger and different from GT.

GT definitely fills in quickly. I divided a couple of clumps to make a border a couple of years ago and it was mostly filled in by the end of the season. Only thing is it starts looking tired and a little ragged in early August. Maybe because mine are in afternoon sun. How do your's do?

• User
    10 years ago

Good to know that about the Golden Tiara. I found another pot of it this morning as I moved things under cover (for weather). It will go in the Driveway bed with the Grand Tiaras and another Golden Tiara. I'm not worried about tree roots there, and having a nice edger/border will be fantastic. The ones which spent the winter in the ground in this bed look pretty good IMHO. And I will have one less pot to keep track of.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hostahosta,The one back by the old gnarly tree trunk that I use for an object d'art,is a Wide Brim,and the one farther in the foreground,and left is Eternal Flame,a kinda upright-growing plant. Thanks for lookin'! I'm looking foreward to seeing the Golden Tiaras fill in to the border. Actually there are a couple of Grand Tiaras there also. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, I think Grand and Golden play together nicely. Not all that much difference in the look, and I think it gets the attention better than all alike. I love those little hosta that live big. I have some other smalls such as Little Sunspot and Gold Drop which have a similar leaf shape and size.

Keep us up to date with that gold ring you have growing.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I did the same last year with the Golden Tiara but mine is around a young dogwood tree. They look a little leggy here but the picture was taken just a short time after dividing and transplanting. I'm thinking it will almost completely fill out this year, they do grow fast

I agree that Golden Tiara doesn't hold up very well late in the season, maybe more water might help?

• User
    9 years ago

I have only one picture of Golden Tiara in August 2013. It looked okay then. I don't have any memory of how it looked before dormancy.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

What a great idea, and they look so pretty. My Japanese Maple is so small and I have had it for four years. The first year it was 'attacked' by an animal of some kind, that thought the Maple would make a good snack.

I have one Grand Tiara, does it grow as well as Golden Tiara if I was to separate it?

Here are my hostas around my Japanese Maple, Marilyn Monroe is almost bigger than the Maple and it isn't a large hostas.

{{gwi:958314}}

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on the ring of Golden Tiaras. Here is a more recent ,and better pic of the ring,taken today. Phil

{{gwi:958315}}

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail, nor freeze, will stop Phil's hostas. Yea!

-Babka

• User
    9 years ago

Well, I don't have a ring around the Japanese maple, quite, but I have the one I call "Short Fat Fanny" which doesn't seen to get any taller, yet keeps getting broader. I even had to go out and shorten some of the very long spreading branches which were weighted to the ground in the heavy rains here this week. I do not "tip" prune.

There just happen to be 5 hosta sheltered beneath that particular Jap. maple.

{{!gwi}}