Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

suggestions for anchor hostas in new bed - the big 3

I am starting a new bed this year and it is a corner bed with northern exposure. I made a very quick sketch to help everyone out with orientation, etc. Note that the privacy fence is 6-feet tall. Here's what I want to do: I want to put three very large hostas in the back corner and build out from there. The back corner, in my mind, is the corner where the brick house meets the privacy fence, fyi. I want them to be solids (I think) and would love some ideas on who to group together for this look. The taller, the better, I'm thinking vase-shaped instead of sprawlers. Three different colors, one green, one blue, one yellow, the yellow in the middle, of course.

Now, if you have ideas different than mine, you can certainly make an argument for which you would choose and why and I can be swayed. This is just my initial idea, but all of my ideas, until implemented, continue to evolve, depending on info I find during research, differing opinions, etc. I am excited about this bed (as I am all new hosta beds!) and really want it to make a statement. Thanks in advance for the help!

So, a reminder of the parameters (so far):

1) 3 solid hostas
2) very large
3) one blue, one yellow, one green
4) upright, vase shaped (at the very least, the yellow)
5) yellow in the middle of the trio

Edited this post to better clarify the picture for future helpers :)

This post was edited by funnthsun on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 14:49

Comments (23)

• User
    9 years ago

Funn, you say CORNER BED, but have the location at the end which is backed by the 17 foot LONG? (not high?) privacy fence.

My question: which corner do you wish to use? Is there a window on the house wall which you wish to look out upon your hosta bed? And would that put it basically at the corner of fence and shed?

If that is the case, I'd extend the bed across the entire fence, even if only a single line of plants until it connects with the wall of your house. You indicate no trees or large permanent shrubs, so I'm assuming that all shade will come from shadows cast by the structures.

Well, for starters, a vase shaped YELLOW/GOLD?
    First one comes to mind is SUN POWER. You want one which will stay gold at least most of the year. My Sun Power is not the best performer in my zone, but it does beautifully elsewhere. I am a fan of gold in the garden, but I don't focus on vase shaped.

Check out Don Rawson's hosta lists for the one covering golds, and then see what lights up for you. Just in case you need the link, I'll put it below.

Remember that golds need sunlight to hold that color. If it is a whimsical sunlight in your bed, then it may become chartreuse or a more or less green. However, as this picture shows, IN COMPARISON, Fragrant Blue makes plantaginea look almost golden, or a more yellow green.

Looks like you have the makings of a nice Secret Garden. My Back40 space is only 25 feet wide, and surrounded by 7 foot high privacy fence and Teahouse wall. It is 100 feet long in entirety.....how long or deep is your space?

Here is a link that might be useful: DonRawson Hosta Lists

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Love your idea!

These three clamoured in my head immediately but don't fit the parameters to a T. I'm just going with my gut on this one...following your invitation for suggestions...

Krossa Regal, Sagae in middle, Queen of The Seas. My migraine is developing at a gallop so I'm kind of stunned at the immediacy with which these three popped in my head! These three colour combinations will lend themselves nicely with anything you will plant thereafter and would be gorgeous in a northern bed.

Jo

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, for clarification:

I did say corner, bed, although technically, it is not, you are right. I have always pictured, in my head, the corner being to the left (not to the right, as you assumed), the corner being where the house and privacy fence meet. I may actually do a dual effect in each corner and then come out from there, as this bed will span the entire privacy fence, so very technically the back of the bed will actually be the privacy fence. I could really do my idea of 3 together in each corner, which might be what I do!

I have a large area to work with here. We are basically remodeling the entire back area. I have to leave my very back yard for my pooches to enjoy, but this area is fenced off from them. We are in the process of now tearing down our old deck and we will be rebuilding in a different area. The hosta bed will be where the old deck is now. The hosta bed will be approx. 17 x 17 feet. Also (later on!) I will be creating an oasis type of area with potted hostas in the remainder of this area (it's 65 x 35 feet!) First step, though, is this corner/side bed. There is a window, but the hosta garden will be viewed mostly by actually going out from the back door, you step out and the bed is to your left. The view will basically be straight at the privacy fence. Hope that helps with clarification.

Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, after I typed my response, I decided that I didn't do a very good job in my explanation, and since a picture is worth a thousand words:

The green outlined area will be the new hosta bed.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 14:51

• User
    9 years ago

Strange, Jo, because the middle one popped into my head was also Sagae. Not exactly gold, but bright and with the creamy margins. Mine has grown quickly, and it simply dominates its corner of the garden.

Funn, I would break the rectangular look of the space, by curving it a wee bit, not outward but inward; it can embrace you when you step out the door. That will also give you a spot to place a small bistro table, or maybe a bubbling water fountain, like the one Phil had which broke and is now used as a ginger jar (my term for it) beside his Sagae. Or maybe a bird bath or a great statue. It has the makings of a fine secret garden.

Another question: How DEEP would the bed be? If the shed wall is 12 feet, are you considering the whole 12 feet for the bed? I'd make it about 8 feet deep in each corner, and curve it so the middle area is about 5 or 6 feet deep. Seventeen feet width sounds like a lot, but if you place 3 giant hosta at the corner spaces, they will eat it up in a couple of years. Hope I have the layout imagined correctly.

Even though you think the view of the garden is mostly after you exit the door, imagine it if you will as viewed from your window. It can only enrich your appreciation of the bed if it is visible as you go about your daily chores.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Mocc, I agree, it won't have a severe front edge, but will be soft and curved. I won't know what I want it to look like, though until we get the deck torn down and I can see better what I have to work with. I may even end up flowing it into the new deck edge, most likely will.

You guys are just teasing me with the Sagae thing b/c I said on the top 25 list that Sagae was the one that I didn't like, right? Too funny that you both picked that one!

Sun Power is a good idea, Mocc. Also, Jo, Queen of the Seas would be interesting there. I was mulling over Big Fella or Blue Legend as the big blue (I already have these). Thought about Clear Fork River Valley as the big green (already have that one, too.) Not sure if they are upright, though, when mature. Lots of choices!

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I was thinking of Key West as the gold, up until you said vase shaped. Sun Power is the only upright-ish yellow I can think of off the bat...

Kimodo Dragon for the green and Queen of the Seas for the blue. :)

Frank Lloyd Wright look fantastic to me...don't know about size though. Niagara Falls is pretty hard to beat, too!

This post was edited by jadie88 on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 16:13

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I agree with Key West. Another yellow one could be Krugerrand. I have seen pictures on this forum that looked wow, check out the K thread 2013. You'll also see Krossa Regal - outstanding, and Komodo Dragon picture. You could have a K theme.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 K link

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I've never seen a Gold Regal, only in pics. It is supposed to resemble Krossa Regal in size and growth habit, even though I don't think they're related. Deluxe Edition is, again, supposed to resemble Krossa Regal in size and growth habit, but it's a solid greenie.

For your big three of solid-colored hostas, I think Krossa Regal, Gold Regal and Deluxe Edition would be pretty nice.

My .02
    Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Ooh, Krugerrand does fit the bill. Nice looking yellow!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

The only upright Gold that is big enough for your requirements is Key West. Sun Power, Gold Regal and Golden Scupture are large plants at best.

For upright VL blue probably the best is Komodo Dragon. And for green I'd use Lakeside Ripples. These are true VL plants, not large sized. Stand back because these babies will get 7' in diameter or more give good growing conditions. I'd space em at 6' if this were my bed.

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Steve,

Key West isn't that big. Why, look at this little runt of a plant. : )

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Key West is very upright at my house. It's only in it's second year, but it appears to be very upright. It also stays yellow. It's a zoo around here, or I would take photos. They poured concrete yesterday for the workshop and I had to move all the hosta. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of it tomorrow.

I look out of my office window onto my oldest/nicest hosta. It's nice to see them all the time, especially this time of year, while they are new and pristine. I would suggest others to think about the views of their hosta from inside.

bk

• esox48
    9 years ago

Sun Power is plenty large and the most eye catching choice for the center.

• User
    9 years ago

Oops, Funn, sorry about the slip with Sagae. So strange, but the image of it popped right into my head.

Yes, it will evolve as you see what you have to work with. I don't make firm plans, much to the consternation of my DH, who always has a plan. I do what feel right at the time. And it evolves into exactly what I want. You may wind up doing the same.

• User
    9 years ago

I look at my pitiful plants which are dwarfed in pots, and think Pfffffhhhh, no problem .....

....and then Don posts that ginormous Key West, which is fantastic and it dwarfs Miz Olga! I cannot WAIT for something in my garden to look like that. Hosta are just about too exciting for me ole heart.

I've taken steps to give Empress Wu room, and S&S as well. I had no idea about Key West though. It looks innocent enough in its normal nursery pot. Olga sure can breed giant hosta!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Is Kimodo dragon blue or green? Different people mentioned it under blue and green? Looks green, from what I can tell, but there is a pic or two that gives a blue cast to it.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 22:38

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Speaking of Olga hosta, Grand Canyon is on my list. I think Grand Canyon, Komodo Dragon and Queen of the Seas and that's my final suggestion. All have wavy edges - it would be very cool.

BTW, I have seen several Komodo Dragons in different gardens and they all looked green to me. I realize its a blue green, but they were greener than other hosta we call blue.

Beverly

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Bump...don't forget to let us know which ones you decided on! :-)

Jo

• mschris32
    9 years ago

Added to the must have, blow-the-budget list: Key West.
    What a great picture!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Right now, I am considering:

Key West & Krugerrand for my yellow (I'm leaning toward Krugerrand)

Krossa Regal & Big Fella for my blue

Sting Ray, Komodo Dragon & Lakeside Ripples for my green

This is, of course, subject to change and I won't make the final decision until I get all of my orders in and see what candidates I have that I've already ordered. Research is pending!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Forgot about Stingray! That's always a nice choice.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

My 'Key West' was a single eye last year. This season: TWO eyes! I'm catching up to the specimen in the pic. : )

'Eye' Wish,
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 22:45