Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Showing my H. Derriere

User
9 years ago

Remember that I won Jim Hartmann's auctioned H. Derriere last year? And then I found these absolutely perfect pot feet at Arizona Pottery?

Okay, it is growing and looking pretty good and healthy this spring. Just thought it deserved a school picture to mark the beginning of the growing season.

Derriere on April 5, 2014

and about 2 weeks later more abundant looking

I think it likes it in Alabama.

Now I need to get Tony Avent's Outhouse Delight, right?

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

for a minute.. i thought you gave up hosta... and took up plumbing.. lol

i wouldnt waste money on outhouse delight [well i did, so this is hindsight] ...

comes up white... mists out [yes.. i said it mists] .... and turns green rather fast ... never really thrived for me .... but took years to disappear ....

maybe its heritage falls in line with tonys attempt to breed hosta for the south.. and it didnt like MI ... which means it might do better for you ....

you will do what you will do ... dont let me stop you ....

ken

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I was joshing about Outhouse Delight. It never appealed to me. But, it sort of indicated a "theme." If I have extra time to do a little research, I'll check Outhouse Delight and its offspring White Wall Tires. I believe you are right to link it with Avent's southern hosta breeding program. I have Zebra Stripes on order.

Tony Avent's Elvis Lives was one from his southern program too. I think of all the framed black velvet Elvis pictures at flea markets, they are remnants of an era.

With little Derriere, Jim Hartmann describes it as sort of flat and unremarkable. Since it is my child now, perhaps I see attributes others do not.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Mocc. I love that planter (and the plant)! I would laugh every time I walked by it. You should move your garden to Lyman Hill. You, Faye and I would have fun seeing the decorations we each find to compliment our hostas. Did you notice the Indian sculpture beside her War Paint? My sister has three dancing pigs in front of a potted Wheee! We could do a whole thread on this. Myrle

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Absolutely, McTavish!
    I'd be delighted to be your neighbor, and Faye's. I'm sure we could have some fun times plotting new display items.

This harkens back to my very first symbolic or mnemonic device to help me remember my hosta names. I put a small figurine of a macaw parrot in the pot with Paradise Island. A monkey ceramic item in Funky Monkey. A twisted purple straw in Totally Twisted, a metal toy-soldier-sized dragon in Red Dragon. A polka dotted (pink) boot in Purple Boots (best I could do at the time). The metal tea kettle for Teatime. And of course these special pot feet for Derriere.

Also, sometimes when I take a picture and cannot read the name tags, having a special pot provides the recognition needed to identify the plant. Individuality is expressed even by hosta plants.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

One of the attributes I see, and like is the wide spacing between the veins...it emphasizes not only the size but the intensity of green and the shape of leaf.
    In this picture I see the veins lighter in colour which pronounce the green even more.

It occurred to me long ago (I'm a curious detail freak) that a "green" hosta takes more time to admire and appreciate, to look for the discerning differences whereas variegated/medico variegated/yellow hosta catch your eyes and draw you in immediately.

The combination of Mocc's and Ken's comments elevated my curiosity level to such that I enlarged the picture (not as satisfying as being face to leaf) to study D. more closely. I'm glad I did as I found it is not just "another green". ..and I will be more likely to remember this one without having to look it up.

Nice hosta, Mocc. :-)

Jo

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jo. I am more impressed by D this year than I was last year. I like the vein striping a lot.

On that note, I have Zebra Stripes on order, a Tony Avent hybrid. It has a vein color difference as well. Perhaps Ken is right that Outhouse Delight would grow better in higher zones than pure Michigan. For it has that white leaf and the green expands from the veins to create a greener leaf over the growing season. Whites generally do not do well for me, but one which is viridescent (as I understand it, this one goes from mostly white into mostly green) could grow nicely.

After all, if you expect a leaf to stay the same color from first unfurling to dormancy, or same texture from one year to the next, you better find something to grow beside HOSTA. They can be real chameleons.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting your 'Derriere', Mocc. I actually like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Wait, that came out sounding so bad...As Jim Hartmann surely had intended!! Well-played, idiothe, well played...

In all seriousness, that's a nice-looking plant. I like the veining and how it's leaves are growing flat.

Don B.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Too funny! And a beautiful plant, BTW!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

zebra stripes... a progeny of outhouse ... no wonder it looks just like it ...

see link.. where it says: Hostas from this breeding line tend not to fare as well in climates that have very cool spring temperatures.

go figure ... intuition rocks..and then rolls ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

Very cheeky Mocc. (I know, its probably already been said). Thanks for sharing. A sense of humor is needed everywhere, even in the garden :)

Beverly

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, you up there in Michigan qualify for "cool spring temps." Perhaps my mileage will vary.

And Bev, there was a discussion about the name with Jim Hartmann, when the AHS allowed it for registration.

9 years ago

Here you go, Beverly...:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Naming of Derrière

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, "Quick Draw".....you have the quickest linker on the block. It sure does enrich our posting and simplifies providing a historical trail through the forum.

"Quick Draw" is of course you, Jo....I appreciate what you do.

9 years ago

Thanks Mocc - it's a good exercise for keeping my brain active! Lol

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

Okay I can't stand it any longer!! Ever since Jim came out with H. Derriere and I hear (or read the name) all I can think of is Danny Boy! AKA Londonderry Aire ! That music always makes me sad, but I love it.Sorry, I just had to get it out of my system!!! And I may have opened a whole new can of worms!!!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Rosie, all I can say is, don't know about any connection between the hosta and Danny Boy or Londonderry Aire, have not a clue how worms figure into it at all. My DH is as Irish as they come (First Generation), the famine happened yesterday, and to be born Irish is to have a bit of sadness in yer soul. I guess you must be "one of us," huh Rosie? :)

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Mocc, I think Rosie is thinking Derry Air as in Derri-ere, no one south of the border would call it Londonderry air but We won't go there lol.
    Even though the famine happened in the 1840's it is still raw and caused much bitterness, some would call it deliberate genocide, there are still some old people who had grandparents who survived it, I'm sure there are Americans who remember their grandparents speak of the Civil war.

On a lighter note the Irish are renound for being happy in their misery lol

Denis

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear ye, Denis. Those subjects were untouchable in my family (Civil War)..Some of it was not in older generations, but still a big part of life in my parents lives, and occasionally mine. The past is always with us.

What my DH expects to contract is Irish Altzheimers....where he forgets everything except the grudges. (that is my DH's favorite)..

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

The only pictures in the HL are from idiothe himself, and I think it would be a good idea for you to take a couple of extra shots without the risque feet and submit them to Bob Axmear, although, having said that, Jim's shot shows a roll of toilet paper and I can't quite make up my mind if that pot is a commode or not.... And I can't help but wonder if yours is the same plant that's shown in Jim's submission...Regardless, you have a lovely 'Derriere' Barbara...

Pieter

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

Yep, Denis caught on! I have a weird sense of humor, I see the funny side of things and sometimes other folks don't think it's funny! And the "can of worms", well look at what I started! The Cvil War , the famine-holy crow, I was just being silly.But I have to tell you the' pot holders' only added to my weird sese of humor!! I thought those were hilarious.( I would love to buy some!!) And to add to this, we think My Darlin' man of 62 yrs. might have been Irish, but we don't know! See what I mean by a "can of worms" But that is another story!!

• rosie742001
    9 years ago

A roll of toilet paper!! I'd forgotten that!! Now that is funny!! And Moc, I love the idea of the parrot , etc. to help you remember the names of the your Hosta. I may try that, if you wouldn't mind. Now I am getting tired so I'd best get my "derriere " in bed!!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim called it a chamber pot. It went under those iron frame bed steads with the feather mattresses and quilts.

Pieter, I'll remember to take such pictures and send them to Mr. Bob. Had not thought to do this.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 0:41