Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squonk61

Question for 'mosswitch'

squonk61
11 years ago

I'm reaching out to mosswitch, or anyone else that might have experience using the Repellex or systemic capsacian tablets. We have a horrendous deer problem in Orange County NY and a perimeter deer fence covering 2.5 acres is out of the question. One of our local nurseries suggested trying the tablets and just maybe after a couple moths the plant leaves will be infused and deer proof. We are trying it this spring, but any longer term experiences?

Comments (3)

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

I've not tried them, but have researched them.
    Here's the deal. You need 1 tab per foot of width and height. So a larger hosta that's 4 feet across by 1.5 feet high is gonna take 5 tabs.

Have you calculated the cost per tab and the required amount of tablets for your garden?

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

The Capsaisin tablet ad I looked at stated in could not be sold in or shipped to AK, AR, AZ, CA, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, KY, LA, ME, MS, MT, NC, NE, NH, NM, NV, OK, RI, SC, TN, UT, VT, WV, WY. I wonder why. That's over half the states.

Jon

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

We tried them last year, but results were iffy. It was such a horrible year, probably not a good test for the product; with the drought, the rabbit population explosion due to the lack of raptors after the tornado, the climbing cutworms, the pillbug infestation and the HEAT and the drought!

They do take a while to take effect and you need to use another repellent until they do, which is an extra expense. And they are expensive. The bigger the hosta the more tablets you have to use for each plant, and darn, it is hard to find it! We found ours at Wickman Gardens in Springfield, Mo but that is the only place, and we did look for it all over the 4-state area. If you have a lot of hostas, it is really cost-prohibitive. I think it came in a package of 50, if I remember right, and when you have 500 or more hostas, that doesn't go very far.

But I will say, the one problem we didn't have last year was deer. Don't know if it was the Repellex, the Repels-All we used while we waited for the Repellex to take effect, or the protective cages we put around the young plants. Hard to tell with all the buggy critters eating them off as fast as they came up.

But we won't try it again. It just cost too much, and I'm going to experiment with the Vicks Vaporub tratment this year. So far the deer haven't been a problem yet and the rabbits seem to be leaving them alone. Now if I can just get the dang bugs under control........

Sandy