Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harryshoe

Which Hosta Are Normally Early?

I just saw the list of late hosta. I think Big Daddy and Whirlwind should be added based on my experience.

Halcyon and kin are up and running here. Most others are just points.

Who is early in your garden?

Comments (16)

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Just posted a couple of pips that are up for me...Sum & Substance & Shade Fanfare...but they are also located in my sunny spots. Not sure if the ones in shade are up.

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

montana Aureomarginata is very often early

• dg
    9 years ago

I'm finding Rainforest Sunrise is late emerging for me. I thought it was a goner until reading other posts with comments on it being late. So I decided to give it time and it is showing pips now.

As for the early emerging in the garden, Sum and Substance, Sagae and Stained Glass leaped out of the ground for me.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

My earliest up by far was Blueberry Cobbler. My last two to show were High Fashion and Epiphany. They are still pips starting to open up when everything else has been out long ago!

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Liberty is way ahead of the pack in my garden, but it does get a little more sun than most. Lakeside Cupcake was also up early.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

My first pips I saw were Holy Mole but they seemed to stay just pips while a few others started to unfurl.

Pictures taken today of the three furthest along.

Winter Warrior

Sagae

Komodo Dragon

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot Sagae. It is beginning to unfurl. With all of this rain we are "enjoying", I expect to see more in the next few days.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

For me it is always Montana Aureomarginata and the good old fashioned variegated hostas. I have a good number of pips with curled/ distorted leaf tips due to frost in April. I also had damage to some lilies which are also early risers for me.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Out here, it is Invincible, Spartan Arrow, and P.Upsidedown Cake. Every year for over 10 years. Like setting a clock.

-Babka

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

In my southern Ontario garden there are just a few early risers. I won't be counting pips for quite a while. Making an appearance are Liberty, Stained Glass, Cracker Crumbs, Fragrant Bouquet, Krossa Regal. Lancifolia is at the head of the pack. It's like a treasure hunt every morning!
    Jan

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Liberty, Invincible, Deluxe Edition, Sum and Substance, Halcyon and So Sweet pipped up at about the same time this spring, about 2 weeks ahead of any of my other hostas.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 20:15

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Of my hosta lineup:

1. Appletini
    2. Cracker Crumbs
    3. First Mate
    4. Grand Prize
    5. Gypsy Rose
    6. High Society
    7. Holy Mouse Ears
    8. Little Treasure
    9. Marilyn Monroe

1. Maui Buttercups
    2. Paradise Island
    3. Pure Heart
    4. RainbowâÂÂs End
    5. Rainforest Sunrise
    6. Raspberry Sundae
    7. Remember Me
    8. Ripple Effect
    9. Sparkler
    10. Yellow Polka Dot Bikini

Gypsy Rose still hasn't come up, and I'm trying to remember if First Mate has come up yet. The others are either pipped or actually starting to unfurl. Remember Me is especially lovely, being banana yellow with light green margins. I am worried about Gypsy Rose, as all her neighbors--Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and Rainforest Sunrise (who just pipped yesterday, I had been worried), etc. have pipped.

I only got Grand Prize this past fall, as a hosta going into dormancy with mostly brown leaves. It has TEN PIPS now! I got Marilyn Monroe in similar condition, and it has 4 pips now.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Yes, Jan, "it is like a treasure hunt every morning"...Obsessed are we????
    Me too.

-Babka

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

This is the first year I've paid attention (I know what you're thinking...why not?) to my hostas coming up since in past years they've always emerged pretty much in sync. Not so this year following a brutally cold winter. Middle Ridge came up first followed by Kiwi Full Monty. The others took more than a week even to show pips. Northern Exposure is finally up but I haven't seen any sign that Krossa Regal or Regal Splendor have even given a thought to sending up new growth.

Dream Weaver, Gold Standard & Captain Kirk are finally showing signs of life the past couple of days.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Esther, Gypsy Rose was one of my last to come up. No worries, yet!

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Thanks, Funn. I was wondering if I had to order another one. I even dug around a bit surrounding the I.D. tag stake and saw nothing. After tonight's deluge (I mean it's raining as hard as it can rain right now!), maybe a pip will be exposed. I am lucky the garden has good drainage and I'm up on a slight hill. Otherwise, I'd be afraid everything would wash away.