Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Chic @ bridgewoods rock and roll names

being what i presume is an old hippie ... he is known for naming a lot of his own plants with rock and roll names .... lets call this the lightening round.. and list some ...

i can think of satisfaction...

i am wondering about maggie may ...

and i am sure there are many others.. of which i am now blanking.. since i started typing....

and i would prefer we play the game.. before someone pulls out a list by don or some such ... maybe he can make a new list.. if he never thought of this one.. of which.. i doubt .. lol ...

sooo.. for now.. off the cuff... can you add some rock and roll names????

ken

ps: does anyone else recall the lightening round????

Comments (24)

• User
    9 years ago

Yeah!
    Short Fat Fanny (not registered)
    ......I got it from Bridgewood in 2012

I'm thinking he has more not registered, which makes it harder to play this game. I did not realize he gave us Satisfaction, which is a great hosta

From the ones in the AHS Registry, I spy
    Angel Eyes
    Barracuda (oh be STILL my Heart!)
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Cathy's Clown
    Dreamboat Annie (I think he likes HEART--so do I)
    Lovely Rita
    Miss American Pie
    Mustang Sally
    Purple Rain (hmmm, Prince, and I should look into this one)
    Surfer Girl
    Tupelo Honey (I have it of course, Van Morrison fan here)
    Uncle Albert

What I want to know, where is Stevie Nicks and Belladonna?
    Great song, great name to give a big fragrant hosta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miss American Pie..Don McLean

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Pride and Joy

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Pride and Joy

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 13:36

• jadie88
    9 years ago

"Here she comes, that 'Little Town Flirt'. You're falling for her and your gonna get hurt..."

Del Shannon

This post was edited by jadie88 on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 13:14

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Dang, I could have sworn I got that picture right side up...give me a minute...

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Purple Haze' and 'Bell Bottom Blues'

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Revolution
    Rock and Roll

• User
    9 years ago

Purple Haze....now where did you find that was a Wasitis plant? I missed it totally, and is Revolution his too? Wow. That expands the list beyond the 2 pages on AHS Registry.

This is his, Purple Passion.....but not a song that I recall. It has meaning to me though....my college had the PUrples and the Golds in competition. The Golds were Lions....how boring. And the Purples were....(are you ready for this)....PURPLE COWS. So there was a lot of Purple Passion on campus.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

It's not, Mocc. Neither is Bell Bottom Blues. I guess I misunderstood Ken's post. I was thinking Ken started off mentioning Chick's plants, but then asked, 'can you add some rock & roll names?' I thought he meant hosta rock n' roll names in general. My bad, I hereby disqualify my answers and withdraw my opportunity for lightning round.

Please, 'Carry On'.

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I'm with Don on that---thought it was just additional rock & roll names.

Ken, can you clarify?

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I thought it was rock and roll names of hosta.

Now, I'm confused.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i dont care.. if you guys are having fun ...

but i was being specific to chic ...

i have never met him .. he is one of those nursery owners who does NOT travel far and wide ... in season .... or out of season ... the MI groups USED TO pay such.. to travel to talk in winter ... maybe he came and i missed it ... and i dont ever recall him at hosta college.. etc ....

but i think he has quite an eye.. for offering new plants that are actually different enough to be great additions to the hosta family ...

i just figured.. if i somehow stroked him.. he would send me plants.. lol.. no thats an outright lie.. lol ..

does moc satisfaction look right.. maybe its just the wet leaves and yellowish pic ... and early leaves ... isnt it supposed to be darker green???? .. i bet its just the pic... as moc has this sorta love affair with these darn plants... lol ... a mother always knows her own babies... lol ..

anyway.. as you were ... have fun ..

ken

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Rebel Rouser'.

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Ken, I'm glad you made your statement about my Satisfaction. It was actually my Satisfaction NOID, not purchased as such, but was one which came from PDN in 2010 in my first order. My intro to this forum was trying to identify what actually arrived in that my initial hosta order EVER.

It was the top name for my NOID, and I had on its label, Satisfaction NOID. So, could be you are right. I have never felt totally SATISFIED....."I can't get no"....if you will....using that name for this plant.

Here is the real one, which I purchased from Hornbaker in 2012. If I had known Wasitis originated it, I'd have gone to Bridgewood for it. On left is the NOID, on right is the Hornbaker purchase. Taken October 2012

Here are the pair again in June 2013

And here is the NOID Satisfaction blooming on April 1, 2012

Revisiting my old wound, my first NOID.
    Does this shed new light on old windows? (That's a Chris Rea album too)

And BKay, I miss hearing Stevie Ray and Jimmie Vaughn day and night on the radio like they play down in Texas.Never grow tired of his sound.

• User
    9 years ago

Oops, I am not the song police here, just wanted to ask if they were Wasitis hosta, which was my reading of the question. I jump to conclusions a lot, and did not think any of yours were "wrong" but just asked if Wasitis what whositis. :)

More the merrier, right? We're talking R&R here.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Then stay off of my 'Blue Suede Shoes'.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

lol T.J. Speaking of Elvis, Bevie Schmidt has a 'Teddy Bear'.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Here are a few I found browsing the library. Some may not be rockn' roll but anyway.......

Wild Thing- The troggs

Wishing Well- Terence Trent D'arby

Yellow River- Christie

Yellow Submarine- The Beatles

Viva Las Vegas- Elvis

Twist and Shout- The beatles

Revoloution- The Beatles

Ring of fire- Johnny Cash

Rocky Mountain High- John Denver

Roxanne- The Police

Private Dancer- Tina Turner

Purple Haze- Jimi Hendrix

Night Train- Guns n' Roses

Mustang Sally Wilson Pickett

Lovely Rita- The Beatles

Lucille- Little Richard

Hotel California- The Eagles

Dancing in the Dark- Bruce Springsteen

China Girl- David Bowie

Ace of spades- Motorhead

Denis

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Smokey Tokey' has got to be a Bob Marley tune...or it should be...

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

I made a mistake here.
    Purple Passion is NOT a Wasitis hosta, although Bridgewood sells it. Herb Benedict is credited with Purple Passion.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Well, 'Little Town Flirt' was my "playing by the rules" contribution, but now that we're letting just any old rockin hosta on the thread, I've gotta throw in 'Sergeant Pepper'

Photo is not mine (probably one of ya'lls!), as mine was already half dormant when I picked it up last fall.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Well, 'Good Golly Miss Molly', how does your 'Crocodile Rock'...

With all these 'Good Vibrations' this is 'Money Honey' and you won't be 'Singing the Blues'....

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

You're good, jadie. You know, 'Sergeant Pepper' is also a Chick Wasitis hosta! : )

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Ah, of course it is! I bought 'Sergeant Pepper' from Bridgewood, and now I remember reading in the description that it was one of their first introductions. Somewhere along the line I got it into my head it was Bill Meyer's...I mixed it up with his similarly variegated 'Luna Moth.'

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm really looking forward to seeing Sergeant Pepper this year. It multiplied nicely and is coming up with five pips. I like that soft Spring variegation which sharpens over the growing season. It also had an especially bright fall look.

This post was edited by jadie88 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 6:34

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mocc, I thought you were talking about Purple Passion, the drink. (That's been a while.)

You're right about the radio and Stevie Ray Vaughn. I heard 'Pride and Joy' it the day my Don R hosta arrived. I never hear the song now, that I don't see the hosta in my mind.

bk