Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Hosta bed under roof's drip edge

thisismelissa
9 years ago

Hey all.... though I've not yet seen a hosta this year, I'm working on a new bed. The problem is that it's under the drip edge of a roof that doesn't have gutters.

I'm planning this bed to be mainly hosta, but it occurred to me that these babies are gonna get pelted by run off.

I'm digging out the ugly yews that have lived in that spot since before we moved in, but I'm thinking that I should probably put in something directly under the drip line that can handle the abuse.

This bed will get sun from about 1-3 in the afternoon. Any ideas?

Comments (17)

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I think as younger plants, they may get affected by the dripping, but as older plants, their leaves would sufficiently reduce the effect of the dripping rain to where that will probably just be a nice watering for them. The next thing I would consider is how closely they will be grown, so that they can protect the soil from being washed away also (or pelted by drips)

Having said that, though, I have myself removed some plants that helped this drip line area (also planted by previous owners). It was only after I removed it and started some new, younger plants there that I realized how important the established plants had been for that area (which I will mulch soon, so that will help with some o f the soil erosion and run-off issue)

This post was edited by gardenper on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 11:48

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

A drip edge at the base of the foundation would be best, if you have room for it.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a Drip Edge?

• Teresa_MN
    9 years ago

I have the same problem. I plant either side of it. I replanted it last fall. In this picture it had just rained. Along the left edge of the bed you can see a cluster of seedlings. To the right of the drip line you can see heucherella. The problem was not so much the battering of the leaves but the freeze thaw one spring. We'll see how it goes this year with inexpensive plants!

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Melissaâ¦.that's a beautifully manicured yard. Love it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the other consideration.. in your zone.. is mid winter snow melt off the roof.. repeatedly ... and refreezing your crowns into an ice cube ... for God knows how many months ...

in the back of my barn... i have a treated 4 x 4 which accomplishes the same thing ... as the rocks ... but that is just to keep the mulch from being disturbed too much ...

same can be done.. if you have any extra retaining blocks ... of which.. you could splash directionally according to how they are placed

and do slope the soil away from the garage ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I agree with Ken, you should always slope soil away from a building. This is especially important for a building with a basement. I have not planted anything under the drip line even with gutters on the roof. From the building to a few inches further than the drip line I have rocks, actually put there those broken up pieces of red bricks I can buy here in bags at Lowes and HD. Digging those rocks in next to the building prevents voles and mice tunneling around there.

In case you plant hostas there, in winter they will be frozen in frozen soil and melted water dripping from the roof will puddle up around crowns, etc. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 15:07

• Teresa_MN
    9 years ago

Yes Ken - that is exactly what happened one winter. The melting snow off the roof and refreezing at night. Actually that space was kind of sunken and the water pooled. I had the bed graded away from the foundation. No more pooling of water. Under the drip line is a trough about 5" deep filled with mulch. You can't tell by the photo. The rain collects there and slowly drains away.

Ken - notice my intricate watering system I have in place. Almost as good as yours!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I know this is a wee bit off topic - but how do you keep your lawn so beautiful?? It is against the law to use chemicals to spray weeds here in Ontario and the lawns are a mess.

• Teresa_MN
    9 years ago

Clearly you are not talking to me! :-)

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Sorry Teresa! lol

• Teresa_MN
    9 years ago

Paula - I am aware that my fabulous lawn is right up there with my intricate watering system! :-)

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paula, we have 5 fertilizer treatments per year. But our neighborhood is only 15 years old and almost everyone has a fertilizer treatment service. So, weeds haven't been a problem, for most of the neighborhood (the exception being the house about 300 feet away that's a dandelion farm).
    Hubby mows cross-directionally once a week.

Most importantly, we have an irrigation system. Our lawn became much thicker and healthier when we installed it and it got all the water it needed. This pic was also taken in May, before the late-summer drought had set in.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding. It makes me want to take off my shoes and run around :)

Teresa, your intricate watering system does the trick - that is what counts!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Teresa, don't fret. I think your lawn and bed look wonderful-way better than mine. Oh, and thanks for the giggle. Very funny.

Cynthia

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paula, keep your shoes on.... I have dogs!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Lol - good thread! I have such a bed on northwest side of the house and use rocks for splash off effect also. Ventricosa lives there along with Lancifolia, undulata, lilies, fern and tall phlox, and Bergenia.

Jo