Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

What's up with this Blue Ivory? Mottled...

Can I get a quick opinion here? Normal or no? Will post more later. ..

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

frost or cold damage???

i would not use the word mottled ... it means something else in hosta.. of which i dont recall .. at this moment ...

ken

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

No, not normal, to answer your question. Don't know but my heart just sank when I saw your pic. Not all leaves are affected though from what I can see. Here's hoping it will continue to produce more leaves that ARE normal in appearance. Luck!

Blue Ivory is a gorgeous-coloured hosta.

Jo

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Looks like cold damage to me. My Birchwood Parky's Gold has some of that. It looked perfect a week ago, but developed this in the last couple of days. The damage was 3 weeks ago or so.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

RELAX. That is "misting", and Blue Ivory does that on so does Great Escape and so does an occasional leaf of El Nino. It is normal.

-Babka

9 years ago

Babka... Do you think it is zone related? The misting? The BI's up here in the north (at least the one in my daughter's garden) has never displayed that look - yet. Good to know though ...and good to relax :-)

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:10

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I've seen Blue Ivory do that before, also. The first year I had mine it did that a lot and I was disappointed with the plant. But last year it was fine. I don't know if it's a maturation issue or an issue with too much sun. Mine's in a bit of afternoon sun. We'll see what happens this year. I may end up putting it in more shade.

Steve

9 years ago

i though misting was a term used for a transitory event.. in the hosta world ..

isnt there a dictionary of sorts in the hosta library home page ...

let me know if it disappears as the leaf matures.. and that will answer the question ....

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Please, oh, please forgive me for using an unscientific term "misting". Sure looks like someone misted them to me.

At the HL, I found in the description for Blue Ivory the term a green "blush" in the margins.

Now I'm blushing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever you wish to call it, I have it occasionally on El Nino, Blue Ivory and Great Escape. I have it on some of their leaves right now. I've had El Nino since 2003 so it isn't a question of maturity, and here it is today, so it isn't a question of Summer heat or sun for me. Just the variation in the leaves.

-Babka

{{gwi:959475}}

Wait! There's more...

The HL data base for Allegan Fog uses the term "misted" and in that hosta it is not transient, so I haven't gone completely bannanas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Allegan Fog description

This post was edited by Babka on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:53

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, that is comforting! I thought it was freeze damage, too, b/c of the cold snap last night, but I didn't inspect this guy very closely before that, so wasn't sure. Glad to hear that it isn't cold damage, b/c I was thinking that sure is pretty to be damage.

The fact that it would have been the only hosta that was damaged last night further supports the normal theory instead of cold damage.

9 years ago

You know what it all spells to me? B E A U T Y - those colours are s o o o
    relaxing and peaceful.

I don't have one of those, y e t! :-)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I think it's common and probably cold damage. It seems that I've seen it many times. I'll look through my photos and see if I have any evidence to support that theory.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I haven't had any cold damage this year here. Bkay, the damage in your photo is different from the OP. Yours has slight tissue damage. I get that sometimes from cool temp as they are emerging. Emerald Ruff Cut gets it very easily. The OP has green mist/blush. Do you have Blue Ivory, El Nino, or Great Escape? The mist/blush is in the area of the white margin.

-Babka

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Same look on my young Blue Ivory last year! Weighing in on the terminology...I called it "spray painted!"

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jadie...I wouldn't use spray painted, I think that is a term for something else...Air Brushed would be the proper reference here...with a large A...AND I WILL YELL...A LARGE B!!!...10,000 lashes!

Just poking some fun, Ken, please don't kill me, I have a family--a hubby and two kids that REALLY need me...That's it, witness protection it is...

9 years ago

see link ...

i dont care what words you guys use ...

but words do mean things.. and it really does further knowledge when we all use the right term ...

the only real issue is.. who knows the right term ... so i suggested a source of words ...

i dont care if you use the list or not ... and i dont care if you use the right term ... and if you reread my comment.. i wasnt even sure if what i suggested was correct ... i was using the Socratic method of teaching ... as in at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method

and this sounds a lot crabbier than i mean it.. so dont read anything into it ....

have a great day ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

No Babka, that's one I lost over the winter. It was just a liner, though. Blue and White is probably not a good choice for me, anyway.

Maybe you are right. It may be different.

bk

• jadie88
    9 years ago

funn, you made my day...ha!

ken, we are all grateful and happy to play students to your teacher, but just remember that students DO reserve the right to grumble about the prof from time to time. All part of the fun! ;-)

• User
    9 years ago

I'm going into witness protection along with Funn here....and taking my ~400+ hosta with me.

Of course words mean things, but I find "heart shaped leaves" written all over official hosta descriptions, and not the legit term whatever it is....we need discipline, I tell you! And a good semester at least at Miss Choate's Finishing School....which is where my DH threatens to send me when I use words learned as a sailor........(ahem). Words do mean specific things.

So what was the question again?

What an unruly (another good hosta word) bunch we are!

9 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    that was quite the eye-hand coordination exercise! Nearly blinded me, crikey feckeled hosta! Mocc, that takes the cake...between you and Bragu - Jadie...Funn...we're all gonna git detentions! Then whose gonna tend to them hosta, huh?

• miketropic
    9 years ago

Mine has nearly leafed out and I find it has some lower leaves with the "mist" on it as well. glad to know its nothing to be concerned with.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

OK, don't ask me where, but I recall reading that this phenom was stress related....I'm talking 'bout the greening-up of course....

Pieter