Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What "Series" Are You Patial Too?

Posted by leaflover76 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 12:11

Do you have a "series" of hosta that you find yourself drawn to? Of course we love them all because we are hostaholics, but, do you find yourself buying more of the Lakesides, or the Mouse series or the PeeDee's or Undulata family, etc.

I am partial to the Lakeside series. Here are the ones I own:

Lakeside Elfin Fire
Lakesdie Elfin Fire photo LakesideElfinFire.jpg

Lakeside Cupcake
Lakeside cupcake photo LakesideCupcake.jpg

Lakeside Shoremaster
Lakeside Shoremaster photo LakesideShoremaster-1.jpg

Lakeside Paisley Print
Lakeside Paisley Print photo LakesidePaisleyPrint.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What "Series" Are You Patial Too?

it started with tiaras...

morphed into lakesides ...

and devolved into conifers.. lol

[mouse ears came too late to care ....]

ken

o

Leaflover, I know this isn't a 'series' as you described, BUT they are linked...I love the fragrants that 'Guacamole' has a link to on downward...Stained Glass, Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Bananas, Tortilla Chip, The Shining, Avocado, Cathedral Windows, Emerald Charger, Paradise Sunshine, Holy Mole, Cerveza, Mojito, and others.... I'm lusting after all of them pretty hardcore...Does that count?

Don B.

o
RE: What "Series" Are You Partial Too?

then there was the DSM series ..... david stone mediums.. where he tried to breed elegans down to smaller size.. thru tardiana ....

and the fragrant ones .. all of them..

and then the herb benedict hosta

and all the mildred seaver hosta.. anything starting with "sea' ...

man i was a sick boy.. lol

will think of others later...

dont you hate the title typos ... drives me insane.. when i do it... and some suggest .... its a short drive ... lol

ken

o

Thanks, Ken; I always wondered what 'DSM' stood for.

Don B.

o

I'm obsessed with any of the descendants of Halcyon and June.

o

Melissa you are dead on, those two plants make good descendents.

o

I like all the Sum and Substance sports. I have Sum of All;Parhelion;Winter Snow;and Final Summation. Also The Striptease sports. I have Gypsy Rose, Kiwi Full Monty,Hanky Panky and Risky Business. Phil

o

I'm with Phil on this one. I love the Sum and Substance family. I have Abiqua Recluse, Blizzard, Bottom Line, Domaine de Courson, Final Summation, Grand Canyon, Gunther's Prize, Jaz, Joyce Trott (maybe), Leather Sheen, Little Black Scape, Lovely Loretta, Nancy Gill, Parhelion, Rosedale Genevieve, Small Sum, Sum and Subtle, Sum Cup of Joe, Sum It Up, Sum of All, Titanic, Vim and Vigor, and Winter Snow, that is if all of them made it through this winter.

I also love the Paul's Glory family and have Glory Hallelujah, Orange Marmalade, Paradise Glory, Peter Ruh, Pride and Joy, and St. Paul.

Gesila

o

WOW, how did I forget the STRPTEASE line ! just incredible plants......

o

Ed Elslager was fantastic as well. I intend to acquire as many of his plants as I can this season.

Don B.
Westminster, CO.

o

wasnt striptease from gold standard.. which was a pauline banyai hosta ... see.. same plant in multiple groups ...

then there was ... as noted.. the SS group ...

the fall flowering species group ...

then the spider flowered group ... which is a subset of above ...

the giant/XL group ...

the any blue plant group ...

the Geo schmidt group ....

the tony avent group ...

the national convention plant group ...

the hosta college plant group ...

ken

ps: hold your horses.. i will come up with more groups ... oh.. the streaked breeder group ...

pps: you are welcome don ....

o

Don't forget the group 'chosen by the plant manager at Home Depot'!!! lol
Jan

o

oh.. and the group that 'no one else can grow' ..... so ken thought better of that nonsense.. and had to fail himself .. just to prove them right ... lol ..

ken

o

Anything vase-shaped that came from something with the word "Montana" in it...

o

Solberg's 'Longiana' Hostas...

Don B.

o

It's a good thing there are so many hosta's to choose from, so many "groups".
I went back to base and try to collect species and plants collected in the wild. Great if you love green.

Love from Belgium, where it just stopped freezing and no pip is in sight yet.

o

H. sieboldiana group for me. Elegans and grandchildren sports Paul's Glory, St. Paul, Hudson Bay (new last year), Ocean Isle (on order). Also seedlings Royal Standard, plantaginea x sieboldiana, and Blue Moon, tardiflora x sieboldiana 'Elegans'.

Huh, not that many, must make a list.
Beverly

o
RE: What "Series" Are You Partial To?

I'm with Melissa on this one. The Halcyon/June group is supreme in my view. First Frost, Canadian Blue, Paradise Joyce, High Society, Touch of Class, Blue Ivory, El Nino, Remember Me, Chantilly Lace, Sleeping Beauty - hard to name one that you don't love.

Steve

o

Boy, this is dangerous to put your head up in this thread, groups are flying through the air like missiles!!!!

And to Rob Sneyers in Belgium,
"Love from Belgium, where it just stopped freezing and no pip is in sight yet."

Don't give up, Rob, it was slow here too, but now we're pipping in lots of places!

And Don B, OF COURSE, that fragrant dynasty counts!
Also, I wondered about the DSM #10 after the Hosta 'Barbara' DSM10. .....Forget who answered it, but now I got it.

All that list of fragrants, I'm sweeping the category listed by Don, when CERVESA arrives tomorrow from Perennial. And a few more than that. I'm lusting after Don Rawson's entire Fragrant-Flowered Hosta List! Is THAT a group? :)

o

Oh, you BET it's a group, MoccasinLanding! :)

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here