Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta ID Please

Posted by chohio 6 SW OH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 12:28

My neighbor passed away last summer that I had been doing her gardening for years. Even with all I put in for her, she still loved her Hostas, so the family gave a piece of one too me for the sentimental value. All were the same and is probably very common. I'm going to guess she had these in for maybe 20 years or so. The margin is a creamy yellow right now, my camera just didn't pick up the yellow cast, but it is there - not bright like Liberty, but as I recall it turns creamy. I'm not positive but I believe the flowers were purple. Some of hers were probably 3-4 foot across, fair size in height. Any help would be appreciated.
Cher

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta ID Please

Possibly Fortunei Aureomarginata

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL Fortunei Aureomarginata

o

Thanks Paul. I thought it was one of those in that grouping. Man you are good at ID'ing, you got the others I posted last year!!! Thank you again!
Cher

o

I would agree with Paul that it is probably Fortunei. But if the edge turns to cream and then white, it's Fortunei Albomarginata. Both are very nice "grow on the driveway" type plants. Just a different color margin.

Steve

o
RE: Hosta ID Please Fortunei

Thanks Steve. I tried to remember for sure whether it went to white or cream last year and it seemed like it was cream not a white like in some of mine. I didn't get it until end of season and put it in my holding area. So I know the ID is based on cream and not white but will change it if it goes white. Thanks again.
Cher

o

It also resembles Antioch. I have another called Sundancer that also looks like it. Phil

o

well phil.. there is an argument.. that your two.. and the other two.. are all actually the same plant... named way back when by different sellers ..

and if you saw 5 foot clumps of each in my garden.. within 50 feet of each other.. you would probably agree.. and add a couple others that are near exact copies ...

ken

ps: i used to be a name collector.. and it took a long time to understand.. that many of the oldies.. have many names.. and apparently.. i bought them all ...

o

The elongated leaves, cream turning to white margins, and the variable width of the margins all lead me to believe that this is Antioch too.

o

Ok in checking it would be Antioch. Unfortunately I believe since I couldn't get a good photo to show the pale yellowing it was misleading, but Antioch looks identical and it starts with a pale yellow margin. Thanks everyone. I have one more I'll do a post on.
Cher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here