Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Pips? How About Your Favorite Memory Photo?

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:32

Still nothing happening here. I'm resorting to past years photos which deliver a small dose of the drug I need.

Please add a favorite picture of your garden at its best.

photo DSC_0008-9_zpse9bcaa40.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Pips? How About Your Favorite Memory Photo?

• Posted by arcy mn 3/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:48

I could look at pictures all day--forecast 6" of snow coming--AGAIN!!

o

Lots of pips here,and even some leaves opened. I have not taken any new pics yet. BTW,nice garden shot,Harry!

o

Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 12:50

Wish more than one would post at a time for me.--sorry

o

Still plenty of the white icy stuff around here too. Sigh.

One of my favourite pics of my (front) garden is of a brand new bed. I like it because of the promise it shows for the future. I will take a comparison shot around the end of June and hope to see a big difference.

o

No pips yet, but soon.

o

My favourite of the back garden is one I've posted before. Sorry to be boring. I like this one because there are about 50 hostas in their 1st and 2nd year in this section but just look at ALL THAT ROOM for more!!

o

Hope spring will come some day. Still two feet of ice on the lake and snow on the ground. But the temps are rising. Most of these are one and two year old plants. Lake in the distance .

o

Harryshoe: this is a great thread...beauty abounds in each pic.
Your pic shows the perfect hosta shot and the best example of filtered light...I wish I had more of that.

Arcy: your gardens are lovely! Another perennial lover, yay! :-)

Steve: what a gorgeous looking spot! It looks very inviting and the plants and that great deck really showcase your backyard.

Hostanista: both shots transport me to hosta heaven and tranquility...that front bed is really going to be a show stopper when those hostas reach maturity - looks amazing even now! I really like your gardening style.:-)

Sunnywood: you have the best of both worlds! I envy you the growing space....so much hosta real estate...truly lovely.

Gorgeous memory photos...I'm still looking for mine, lol

Thanks for sharing! :-)

Jo

o

I have 9 pips showing on Carolina Blue and I have been setting a bucket over it for nights that are just at the freezing temperature . . It must be a tough one as this was where the snow got piled for a path to the back shed. . I got my new purchases now to see pips and this is keeping me going for now, I changed my computer picture to the one I am posting in hopes it looks like this in June like it was in 2013. This is going to be the 3rd year for this bed and hopefully the leaping year. Loving our spring finally able to get the leaves off and see the bare soil . Sorry for the ones that still are getting snow but soon we can all whine over the heat of summer

o

Beautiful pictures everyone. Faye, that so gorgeous. I do wonder if they all leap - who will strangle who?

I do a lot of complaining about being cold but never about the heat which I love. The picture below is where I'd be right now if I had a magic wand. Baking like a lizard on a rock and cooling off between naps is heaven to me.

July 2013

This post was edited by mctavish6 on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 20:06

o

Cool thread, Harry. Great pics from everyone. Not the best quality pic, but I'm waiting with great anticipation to see how this little patch will fill in. The back row is 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd', 'Niagara Falls' and then there's several others; 'Harpoon', a 'June' is in here, 'Remember Me', 'Lakeside Coal Miner', a yellow-margined NOID, and 'Rhino Hide'.

Myrle, in your pic, the hosta at bottom left corner, is that a 'June'??

Cheers,
Don B.

o

It'll be season 2 for 'Dream Queen', so we'll see what happens. 'Prairie Sky' has become a favorite, with wonderful blue color, great form and vigor.

Don B.

o

Plenty of pips poking out of pots here in SW British Columbia - some of them beginning to stretch out their arms following the winter slumber, though none of them ready yet to remove the sleep from their eyes!
The picture below reminds me of that tranquil 20 minute moment at the start of a day, savouring breakfast on the back deck, watching out for the hummingbirds hovering, diving and zipping between the fuchsia baskets.
BC

This post was edited by BChosta on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 22:34

o

I have two questions for hostanista. Your back garden is beautiful and I wondered what ground cover is seen in the photo and in the other photo you posted how do you get that nice crisp edging around your flower bed?
No matter what I try it just doesn't look that neat.

o

No pips for me so far. Good thread Harry. You made me dream of those hosta days.

My husband put in two new bedroom windows this September. (We are changing our sliders to casement windows.) So I thought why not remove the screen and open the window to take a picture from our second floor! So that's what I did. My husband built the patio the previous year, and this year I put pot after pot around the new patio. The tree trunk you see is one of the two mature maples in our backyard. The blue line is not for hanging clothes, but for hanging our bird feeder from. We love seeing the birds! This picture was taken in the middle of September. The hostas held up quite well.

I am planning to take a picture from the window this season, but with my "better" camera. That's on the to do list.

o

Pic taken today. Stiletto. I had to water today, things were getting dry in the 84f heat. Things were growing so fast I could almost hear them. Abba Dabba Do had no pip this morning when I looked and a 3/8" one by the evening. Get ready, it's coming fast. There are only a few holdouts and two that I'm worried about. Stained Glass my have fallen to voles and Blueberry Muffin to crown rot. I have a few more pics, but that promise I made to get the photography under control this winter didn't happen.
Kathy

o

Montana Aureomarginata. Bonus from Hallson's last year and underwent an inelegant transfer to its new bed on a mild day in the middle of the winter. Thanks, Chris, it'll be happy in this spot and spectacular next year.
Kathy

This post was edited by zkathy on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 8:00

o

I just reread this thread. It didn't say show the pips you have, so sorry for hijacking a nice thread. But there's just one more I want to show you. Blue Silver.
Kathy

o

photo IMG_0044-1.jpg
Working 2nd shift so I was able to get out in the yard today and blow some leaves around and it sure felt good! Temps in the mid 40's.
Gary

o

This is a lovely thread.
I almost died laughing as I looked at McTavish photo, wondering how in the world did she get those chairs to hang on the wall, what an effect! And then I realized.....duhhhhh. hehehe

Well, I cannot believe Faye is waiting for THIRD YEAR PLANTS. I mean, that is where I am too.

Of course, I have eyes, pips, and real unfurled leaves, and it is not exactly in prime garden shape like all the calendar worthy photos above. But it is up and going, even the slow ones are poking noses somewhat. And, my nun's orchids have flower scapes up, sitting right out of doors unprotected.

Cannot wait for you guys to be happy campers too.

Not so pretty, but it will be filling in quickly.
DSCN9610

o

This garden still has a good size snow (now ice) drift on it. It's a little grim, although Hope springs eternal....
James

o

Don, I think Prairie Sky just went on my want list. Lots of beautiful gardens and more that will be gorgeous in a few years. It's still early for pips here - they should arrive in late April or early May.

Spring is so late here; the nurseries all say their plants are 3-4 weeks behind where they should be. Don't knock the snow, be glad you had some ground cover. It all went north or south of us this year, and the ground is bone dry. There have been lots of dangerous grass fires this spring. Today is our big chance at rain, but the air is so dry most of it is supposed to disappear on the way to the ground.

o

Yes Don, That's June in the picture. Your Prairie Sky is amazing. I have one that's at least 3 years old with leaves the size or your creeping jenny. I must have gotten a dud.

o

Wonderful memories, all.

In answer to SerenityCove's 2 questions: the ground cover in the back yard is wild, I didn't plant it. It's called Stinky Bob - a type of geranium - and it can be invasive in some areas. However, in my little patch, it's easily pulled up where I don't want it (very shallow roots) and I really don't mind the smell at all. It's not bad. Plus it blooms tiny pink flowers that are quite cute. Link with more info below.

Secondly, as far as edging the bed(s) that abut to the lawn in the front yard , I don't do anything fancy - just use a spade and chop down a good 6", then fill the bed with pine straw (free since I have a bunch of pine trees at the back of the property). I keep an eye out for stragglers and pulled them out when I see them encroach into the bed. I spade the bed twice a year, once at the beginning of the season and again mid-summer. Seems to work.

To Josephine, thanks, I didn't know I actually had a gardening style! P.S. I too am "an avid gardener, a hosta gatherer and am recently retired so I can garden to my heart's content." We just might be sisters!

To almosthooked: If you hear me, even once, whine about the inevitable heat of summer, you can come over and dig up every one of my hostas and slap me upside the head.

One more shot of the back "Hosta Walk" from a different angle. I need more hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://rainyside.com/features/pest_watch/Pest_StinkyBob.html

o

James, you have a great looking hosta spot. So very well tended.

Hostanista, I love your grounds, and yes you do need more hosta. Somehow I think that will be remedied, then you'll have a place beneath the pines which resembles Hillbilly's place.

o

Thanks everyone. Those lush garden shots are perfect. With the exception of emerging bulbs, there's just nothing green to look at.

Krossa Regal 2013 photo KrossaRegal13_zps7d99db4f.jpg

o

Not exactly a garden pic,but here is my hand on my biggest Sagae,for scale. Phil

photo MyhandonSagaeleaf2012.jpg

o

Got a new computer the other day, was looking through pics I wanted to save to the new PC. Found these from 2006, before I knew what a hosta was. Seems I enjoyed gardening way back then, even without hostas. Ignorance is bliss. : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 22:05

o

A little farther along the same bed.

Don B.

o

It was fun to let the Morning Glory go nuts. After revisiting these pics, maybe I'll plant some along the back fence after last frost.

Don B.

o

As a host newbie I am making my memory photos right now and am having the time of my life, I took a few pip pics this evening.....

HRH Empress Wu,
she has at least 4 eyes and a hell of a lot of roots, new last week

o

Alex Summer, my very first bare root mail order hosta bought in 2012 was 2 eyes then now 6, excuse the weeds he needs a bit of love and attention.

o

First of all, Phil, your largest Sagae, and is that not the one by the green ginger jar? You mean you have MORE THAN ONE? And where have you been keeping that beauty before now? I'd have shown both every time Sagae's name came up.

Remember, in many things, LESS IS MORE may be true....
BUT NOT WHEN YOU TALK HOSTA!

And Don, everybody needs a little morning glory. I believe in interplanting things like clematis and ipomoea/morning glory/whatever and some forms of fragrant jasmine. It seems to extend the bloom period. My comment on your pictures is one you probably agree with too--those lovely bloomers are nice, but they don't have the SOUL SATISFACTION you probably get since growing HOSTA.
Am I prejudiced or what!

Yes, growing on that fence with all your gorgeous Guacamole planted up the incline. And morning glory lending that touch of blue.

Hey, check out the passion vine. At least try ONE. The passiflora edula makes edible fruits, and the blooms are blue purple with a touch of gold in the middle. Not hardy in your zone, but really a quick grower. Or, scarlet runner beans. You can eat those with your hosta salad. :)

o

Pineapple Poll, from one of my recent orders, looking good so far.

I will leave it at that for now till they come on a bit more, I am doing nightly slug patrols with my torch!

Denis

o

I know, Mocc. I've found 'THE' plants I want all over my property, and it's hostas. I'm quite biased myself these days. : )

Here we go, Mountainy Man! It's grow time, my friend!!!!

Don B.

o

Yep Don its full steam ahead around here!

o

Mountainy, we were posting same time, half way around the world.....

VERY well printed nametags those. You are doing it in a professional manner. Wish mine looked so good.

Love the new pictures. My E. Wu is not showing yet, imagine that. She is one of a very few planted in the garden soil in a raised bed layered below by a thick layer of pine bark to aid drainage for our wet winters. The slugs are here as well, with signs of their silvery trails crisscrossing the bricks near the blue hosta shade site.

Don, was it this thread or another, you surmised correctly that I am feeling better, but still taking the antibiotic until the last pill is gone. It was the flu and yes I had the shot, but they guessed wrong this year. I'm very tired, which makes me stop frequently and rest, but the hosta need me. How well I care for them now determines how they manage during our long hot growing period.

o

Ya lol and I should be asleep in this time zone tis after 3.30am here!
Thanks Re the tags was envious of some of the ones I've seen on here so got em from Germany of all places, been having my thrill with the labelmaker lol.
The Empress was bought last week and was over wintering in a polytunnel so that may be the reason she is up early (donno when she should be up lol!), she has incredable roots that were 6 inches out the bottom of a 10 inch pot.
I am going to have to do something similar for drainage for our wet winters too, as for slugs I might try an electric fence for the big ones lol.

o

Thanks for the compliments on 'Prairie Sky' guys. I absolutely love this one. I got lucky, found this one in 2012 for sale locally with 15-20 eyes. It jumped from about 15-20 eyes to 70+ eyes last spring. I incorrectly stated on the forum that it was 'Blue Hawaii' last year, even after better hosta minds than I stated it probably was NOT BH, until BH came up in another spot (Oops, blush). I sited it in bright shade only, as an effort to prolong it's blue color over the summer. I think I did that part correctly. : )

Myrle, your 'June' is gigantic! Love it.

Don B.

o

Mocc.my other Sagae in deep in the woods,and is much older than the largest one. The pic you see is the one near the jar,but it was planted in 2006 as a very small one-eyed plant. Location must be the answer,because it grew faster,and bigger that my first one planted in 2003. One reason may be,it is growing amongst wild Vinca minor,which is very invasive. I have moved most of my plants out of there,because of that fact. Only very vigorous hostas will grow there. I have another of my Sum and Subs in there,and it is strong,and grows humongous leaves! Also,one of my Zounds still resides there. Is that too much info? Phil

o

Wonderful post, so much fun to see everyone's favorite pic. Can't say mine is a favorite, a only have so many pics to choose from on my computer. Theme of my photo should be "garden of the past", as the garden looks completely different today, with different plants and shrubs.
My lovely Sambucus Gold elderberry got sick and bit the dust and the 2 Thunderbolts fizzled out over 4 seasons and disappeared. The pic shows them the first year after planting and that was their best. I really liked the hosta and was disappointed in it. Today, I do have Sweet Woodruff ground cover all over that area, which I love.

Sorry if pic is grainy...it's from the days when posted pics had to be low in pixels in order to load quickly.

o

Mary,I had the same problem with Thunderbolt. It looked good the first year,and then came back up the following year,and slowly disappeared. I now have Dream Queen,which looks almost the same,but always comes back. Phil

o

This was one of my favorites, taken in 2011. Almost all the hostas were moved last year due to over crowding. Looking forward to how they might look this year. Not a pip yet, frost is not even out of the ground yet.

o

Old Dirt, quite a charming scene you shared with us. It reminds me of a place I love from my childhood--albeit with no hosta around!

And Phil, not too much information. None of this LESS IS MORE business. Always MORE IS NOT QUITE ENOUGH.
Appreciate the info about the vinca minor and which hosta you find can hold up to its invasive nature.

o

Japanese, Autumn, Lady Ferns. I have fern issues, too.

o

More, more, more! This is a bed full of fragrant hostas. As Paul said last season, this should grow into one really shiny flowerbed. : )

Don B.

o

Very nice, unbiddenn! Ferns are great, too. I have all these varieties, but yours are MUCH nicer than mine. Do they get any direct sun? Thanks.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 21:13

o

Ok, if more is better (my life's motto), here's today's pic of montana Aureomarginata. Please correct my spelling if that's not right.

o

And the view from my front door today. I figure if it's not psychedelic, it's not spring.
Kathy

o

Shiny is GOOD, me like'em shiny!
ZKathy, mmmm yes, that is a lovely picture....it promises MORE! soon to be here I'm hoping.

o

Peony 'Do Tell', came back from a piece of root left in the ground after I gave the mother plant. Don, those ferns get absolutely no direct sun, but are in bright light, against a north wall. It stays moist there, but I have more Japanese planted in dry shade under a blue spruce, totally ignored and equally as large in deep shade. The autumn ferns did not do well in dry soil deep shade for me.

o

Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 5:47

Soon!! it always amazes me when May hits!! Please come soon I am going CRAZY with all this snow and cold!!

o

wow, great thread.

Moc, you just gotta have more than one Sagae, one for the shade, and one for part sun. Looks like two dif hosta. The yellow and cream extremes vary with sunshine.

dave

o

There is a color difference on the Sagae I have, seen in this picture taken last Sept 4, 2013, with Liberty also in the frame (and so is Paradise Sunshine the big green). This is after a hot and wet summer where it had good morning sun. I think no hosta can take our sun except for the morning hours....unless it is an hour before sunset.
IMG_20130904_174216.jpg

o

I don't even have emerging bulbs here, yet. I cannot wait to go outside with my clipboard and start counting pips, like the geek that I am! The photo that I have chosen is of the new rock wall garden that I completed last summer, it is still about two feet under right now and I hope the mini hostas survived.

photo 110.jpg

Sorry I must digress for a moment...Hostanista, where are you located in Ontario and how large is your lot? It looks like Hosta heaven to me. Regarding Stinky Bob, I had some of that start to grow quite randomly at my previous house, and I never knew what it was called. Thanks for clearing that up; I found that it was very easy to control as well as it is shallow rooted.

Paula

o

Great-looking 'Krossa Regal', Harry. Hopefully, mine will look something like yours this year; I see about 25 eyes poking up already. This was mine last year.

Don B.

o

PaulaB, I remember your picture from last year, and more too showing the schoolyard, and you adding a new bed or clearing out a damaged tree? I wondered where you were. Glad to see you emerging from hibernation.

o

Really enjoyed this post! Tons of great pics! Spring does not seem to want to come this year. Pips aren't even showing yet, but did some clean up today which made me anxious for when Spring really comes :) Won't be long.

Dan

o

Dan,
Fabulous looking hostas - the 3 in the foreground are some of my favourites. Great garden, super shot!
B.C.

o

Thanks BC!

o

In summary, I can attest that I have seen many places which would be just perfect for an evening stroll with an adult beverage in my hand. Great job gang!

The entryway with two Halcyon which had to be moved when they finally covered the walk.

Halcyon '12 photo Halcyon12_zps1d76709b.jpg

o

Gorgeous specimens of Halcyon, Harry! That scene makes a beautiful picture...compliments re the play on colours - very lovely!

Nope, no outside pips emerging...lots of rain, snow melting rapidly and I can see some potted hosta exposed now YIPEE...but they have chunks of ice covering them.

Here's something you don't see often....this is a "pot" sculpted out of ice that sat on my deck all winter. I placed an empty pot inside another and it got buried under our first snowfall....never to resurface till last week. I'll never forget this sight!

o

Sweet Bo Peep blooming for the first time since I bought her in 2011!

o

Love the ice pot, Jo! You weren't planning to put 'Ice Follies' in that, were you? ; )

o

Gardens...you sooo clever! I love that! Now I have to look up Ice Follies...you trying to enable me? ;-) Lol. If only it hadn't melted...thanks for the smile!

o

Gee, Jo, that bloom on Sweet Bo Peep is as big as the plant! I have one, and I don't recall it actually blooming either. But my plant was a "half-pint" bought the first year I was shopping for hosta. So I'll be looking for a bloom this year too.

That's Squash Casserole, Sweet Bo Peep, Invincible, and Fragrant Bouquet taken in March this year.
DSCN9547

o

Hi Dan,

Your hostas are gorgeous. I'm pretty new to hostas - can you identify the ones in your picture for me?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here