Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Hosta

Posted by steve_mass 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:45

I hope that title is searchable. I think it's the responsibility of those of us who know about HVX (and nems) to inform the Hosta buying public about safe and unsafe sources. Since the large wholesale growers seem to think that 5% diseased plants are an acceptable amount, we will continue to see HVX plants for sale at local nurseries, big box stores, plant sales and other questionable sources. So lets create a thread where we can send people when newbies need to know how to buy healthy plants.

Rules: Post your favorite sources. Give links if you can, and tell why you like them. I believe there are two safe kinds of places to buy; reputable online sources and local Hosta specialty nurseries.

My favorite online sources:
1. Hallson Gardens Large multiple eyed plants at fair prices. Exceptional customer service. A Dave's top 5 for Hosta. If Hallsons has it, I buy from them. Located in Michigan Hallson Gardens

2. In the Country Garden and Gifts Large plants at fair prices. Many hard to find varieties Great customer service. Great companion plants. Located in Iowa. In the Country

3. Naylor Creek Large one or two eyed plantss. Many plants you simply can't get anywhere else. They always have the latest newest cultivars. Great customer service. Located in Washington State. Naylor Creek

4. Naylor Creek Large one or two eyed plants. Many plants you simply can't get anywhere else. They always have the latest newest cultivars. Great customer service. Located in Washington State. Naylor Creek

5. Mason Hollow Large one or two eyed plants, bare root, sometimes larger. They also have a very large inventory. Located in New Hampshire. Not many people know or use this nursery, but they are terrific.Mason Hollow

Local Hosta Specialty Nurseries in New England
Mason Hollow, as do all of the above online sources, sells locally as well as online.

1. Cochato Nursery, located in Holbrook, MA. Large inventory of many large plants. Spectacular display garden. It's not unusual to find plants for sale with 5 or more eyes.
Cochato Nursery

2. R. Seawright, located in Carlisle, MA. I have gotten my largest plants here. He will only be doing on site sales this year. No Internet sales. Known for the field grown daylillies that are spectacular.
R. Seawright

3. Fourth Generation Nursery, located in Mendon, MA. This is a wholesale place that grow their own Hosta. They are only open to the public a few days a year. The plants are enormous, at least a year or two ahead of what you can find elsewhere. Pretty near every cultivar they sell will have 6-10 eyes in the pots. Prices are fair for the kind of plants they sell.
Fourth Generation

The New England Hosta Society has a page of resources where you can find plants near to you if you live in NE. Here's the link.
NEHS recommended sources

If you don't live in NE find a Hosta Society near you and check out their list of recommended sources. Here is where you can find local societies.
Local Hosta Societies

I avoid most local nurseries. There are a few knowledgeable who I will trust. I avoid Big Box Stores. I don't like Hosta's Direct, because I think their plants are too small. However, their plants are healthy and they are a Dave's top 5 Hosta source.

Please post your favorite sources.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Hosta

steve likes naylor so much.. they are listed twice.. lol ...

what ever happened to bridgewood??

ken

o

Let's see.
I am new at hosta, so have no great depth of experience to report. However, here are the sources of the plants I have:

1. Plant Delights Nursery in North Carolina. Tony Avent's nurery. My original hosta orders were to them, because I've ordered other plants from them for many years now. The Tropicalesque Forum of GWeb mentions them favorably and that is how I found them. A great source of natives and companion plants, the hosta selection is fairly limited but great healthy plants, well packed and shipped is my personal experience. My older hosta came from here. They were shipped to Massachusetts, spent a whole winter there and up to their second year of dormancy, then woke up in south Alabama this spring, which will be their third year--leaping I'm hoping. His plant order consisted of: plantaginea, Dick Ward, Lederhosen, S&S, Brother Stefan, Eskimo Pie, and Faith. It seems the Faith was replaced by a NOID, which I'm now thinking is Satisfaction, which sometimes happens--my DH planted them and mixed up the tags.

2. Green Hill Farms, www.HostaHosta.com AKA Bob & Nancy Solberg...also North Carolina. First ordered from them online 8/31/2011 for delivery to Alabama. I was gone for a couple of months, never saw the hosta until after they were dormant at Thanksgiving when we returned to Alabama. That order was for Stained Glass, Victory, White Elephant, Beet Salad, & Curly Fries. Everything is up and growing this year and looking fine--with the exception of Stained Glass, which NEVER WENT DORMANT, and now is not showing any new growth. The Victory (2 plants) look fantastic, so do the others, love Beet Salad, one of Solberg's introductions.
Then, in January while the "sale" was going on, I ordered Emerald Charger, Doubled Up, Grape Fizz, Sugar Plum, and later added Candy Dish to the bunch. They arrived last week, with a bonus plant of Mango Salsa, which is gorgeous, with a note from Bob that he wants me to try growing it. I do not order online from them, what I do is call and talk to Nancy. I get good vibes from this connection, and I enjoy dealing with the Solbergs.

However, the selection is not as wide as my curiosity about hosta, so I will order from them if they have it, and make up an order elsewhere of the things they do not have. As for the plants themselves, all have been well packaged, long extensive bare roots, mostly undamage shoots or leaves, and healthy--very important.

3. Robert Seawright in Carlisle MA. I visited this garden which sells only hosta and daylilies, and was delighted to view his display garden of hosta under the big oak trees. Then I bought the left overs from his close-of-year sale, for half price, and was happy to do so. The choices I made went dormant in their pots up north and shipped via PODS south to Alabama, where they are growing beautifully without missing a beat. I got from him plantaginea, Fragrant Dream, Patriot, Royal Standard, Dream Queen, Fragrant Blue, and Lakeside Kaleidoscope. Steve says Seawright is only selling direct from his garden now, not shipping, but if you are in the area, please give him a call and see if he is open to visitors. My DH and I enjoyed visiting with the Seawrights, who moved to Carlisle from northern Mississippi, around Jackson.

4. Bridgewood Gardens.. first ordered in late 2011 but forget how I discovered them. I did not see the plants until after they went dormant. This order was Guacamole, Fried Bananas, Fried Green Tomatoes, and 2 Fragrant Bouquet. This spring they were late developing, I think due to the small size pots they remained in all winter. In March 2012 I again ordered--and received in late March--longissima, Angel From Montgomery, Golden Tiara, Sweet Bo Peep (a 1/2 pint), Second Wind, Invincible, Sugar Babe, Short Fat Fanny, Moonstruck, Purple Passion, Braveheart (the most expensive), and Squash Casserole. The fortunei hyacinthina is the one with sawfly issues, requiring my first use of insecticide--but not due to Bridgewood I'm sure. Braveheart is not growing quickly, but it is developing, Golden Tiara is a big surprise to me, it is cute as a button, now I like tiny plants with big personalities. Squash Casserole is really a lovely golden yellow color, and fits well with my other plantaginea family.

Bridgewood Plants were generally smaller than the others, and the ones I ordered had lower prices than the larger ones from other providers. No health problems with these.

5.Hallsons....first order 3/3/2012 received 3/27/2012
Adorable, Aphrodite, Fried Bananas, and a bonus Avocado.
Big surprise the Avocado, all plants healthy and my GAWD, the size of the root system!! I only ordered three plants, and he sent a bonus? Well packed for safe arrival. So I turned around and ordered again, 4/3/2012, which came 4/13.
Nightlife, Ultramarine, One Man's Treasure, and a bonus this time of--Alex Summers!! I also ordered Chris' HVX DVD.
I'm very pleased with Hallsons, their performance matches their unblemished reputation.

6. Naylor Creek out in Washington state. First order placed 3/5/2012 and received 3/15/2012 because Gary said the hosta were waking up. I placed the order by phone, very easy. Gary is a charming person. This order: Celtic Uplands, Diana Remembered, Fragrant Queen, Invincible Spirit, Jaws, Scallion Pancakes, Sharp Dressed Man. They arrived bare root and clean as a whistle, big fat eyes shooting a bit, and good enough to eat! My second order placed 4/2 by phone to Gary arrived 4/5/2012, just three days later due to timing. It was Minuteman, Red Dragon, Totally Twisted, Purple Boots, and Sweet Innocence. Slightly more emerged bare root plants arrived, and in perfect condition.

7. Hornbaker Gardens--first order 3/9 received 3/29/2012
Bitsy Gold, Glass Heart, Kinbotan, Faith, Holy Mole, Iron Gate Delight, The Razor's Edge, The Shining. Really some good plants that were eager to begin growing. I potted them and they are already filling up the new containers. I felt lucky so placed the second order 4/3 and received them 4/6/2012 and planted them right away. Chartreuse Wiggles, Little White Lines, Zounds, Tot Tot, Summer Fragrance, and Satisfaction. Those too were eager to grow, and were multiple eyes but very economical purchases. I'm happy with the Hornbaker variety and prices, they pack a little less carefully than some other places, but the plants are healthy and good sized.

8. Made In The Shade --3/9/ order received 3/28/2012 got Venus, Brother Stefan, Dancing Queen, clausa. Love the plants, all growing like champs, and I ordered more than I intended to go with Venus, sold out most other places. Venus had 2 broken small leaves, but the plant was otherwise in good shape, Dancing Queen was glowing from her spot in the box, absolutely gorgeous, and I was happy to have a small but good looking Bro Stefan. These potted nicely without wilting, and are in good shape. You place the order through PayPal, and it is simple to do.

9. AAHOSTAS.com ordered 4/5 and received 4/12/2012 unique ordering system with an EXCEL fillable form and PayPal, but it works. Had to be careful not to destroy the form though.
I got a Rainforest Sunrise, Ann Kulpa, Embroidery, Popo, Xanadu, yingeri, and a bonus Obsession. All cool on arrival, but a bit wrinkled of leaf. They soon straightened out and are looking fine in their containers. Xanadu is gorgeous, Rainforest Sunrise was the reason I decided to place the order since other places were sold out.

Two or three other places have not shipped yet, and I have no previous experience to report.
Those places are:
10. Land Of The Giants...ordered 3/2012
Venusta, So Sweet, Honeybells, Hypoleuca, Masquerade,
Irish Luck
11. Savory Gardens up in MN. ...ordered 4/4/2012
Dixie Queen, Grand Tiara, Kabitan, Lemon Lime, Marquis, Nakaiana, Pandora's Box, Ming Treasure, Quilting Bee, Tiny
Tears, venusta, Zuzu's Petals
12. Gardenbreeze from the First Look Auctions
and the hosta Afterglow from First Look...have no idea from whence these will arrive.

Longest post I ever wrote. Sorry.

o
Jim's Hostas experience

This is the link to a separate thread but pertinent to this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Experience buying from.....

o

I am a big fan of Bridgewood Gardens, I think Moccasinlanding might have gotten the info from me. Their plants come in pots and are in the best shape when they arrive of anyplace I have ordered. They are in Virginia, near the Shennandoah Valley. I always go there first to see if they have something I want.

o
Hooking up with an old thread

I found this one about experiences with online sellers dating from 2010. From the few I checked at the beginning, I recognized but two sources, and I recognized only ONE forum member name, Berndny.

But I like to tie things up fairly neatly, so here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: On-line sellers--experience with

o
Chris-e, I think you are right

Yes, Chris, I think you might be right about getting the information from you. Very glad you read all that detail in my long post.

Gosh, I did not realize I'd spread my orders around that much. But Bridgewood was one of the first HOSTA places I ordered from.

o

I just got an order of hosta and ferns from them today. Gorgeous plants! I can't wait to plant them, but I have no time until Saturday.

chris

o

I also enjoy ordering from Bridgewood's Ugly Plant Sale in the fall. Plants are dirt cheap, and they aren't really all that ugly!

But my favorite, hands down, is Hallson's. Chris is over-the-top in his customer service!
Karen

o
Made In The Shade threads

I'll put a link to Cindy's thread about her visit to the greenhouse and grounds of Made In the Shade. Many pictures, and other information. There is a second part to this, might have to add that link later.

Picture is worth a thousand words.

Here is a link that might be useful: Made In The Shade visit + pictures

o
Made In The Shade Thread --Part II

The second part of Cindy's visit to the greenhouse and primarily small plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Made In The Shade = Part II

o
More like 'Where NOT to buy' hosta

The link below is to the discussion in 2012 about buying hosta from the big box stores such as Lowes and Home Depot.

Look there to see how hosta fans feel about them as a source of plants, and the experiences they have had.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Box Store hosta problems

o

Moccasin, I do not really know why you mentioned my Forum name. Here is my experience with internet purchases :

Hallsons sent nice multi-eye plants and a freebee.
Naylor Creek also sent nice plants. When only smaller plants are available they sent 2 or 3 bunched together it seemed.
Land of the Giants sent divisions of larger plants, 1 or 2 eyes. I ordered 4 this year. They are in the north and ship late. I am also in the north.
Bridgewood, I bought a few plants in that Ugly plants sale, Satisfaction has 4 eyes now after 1 1/2 years, others are still 1 eye, but were inexpensive.
I also bought from general purpose nurseries which had a page of hostas in their catalog. They arrived small like 1 year TCs and I paid full price = no good.
Most of my hostas I bought at local nurseries and hosta society sales and had good luck with them. There I see what I buy, which gets you instant satisfaction.
Bernd

o
Geotz or Goetz Farm Hosta???

Another thread asking if anyone has experience with them. Plus, a comment about the lack of a good list of plants sold. In Indiana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geotz Farm Hosta ????

o

Steve in Mass., was there a reason for leaving out New Hampshire Hostas as a new england hosta nursery?

o

Hi, Nucci. Don't think he left it out. He put in the link to those area nurseries as RECOMMENDED BY THE NEHS. And New Hampshire Hostas is listed there.

If you have personal experience dealing with NHH, then here's the place to report it.

o

I just haven't made up my mind about NH Hostas, despite the fact that I have purchased a number of plants from them. I believe they do a lot of growing in greenhouses. This is because they ship fully leafed out plants at a surprisingly early date. Since the plants they sell are fully leafed out, they appear to be large when you receive them. But upon inspection most are one eyed plants, a few with two eyes. Their inventory is similar to most other nurseries. They keep up with what is new, but don't have anything rare or unusual.

They recommend that you plant their Hosta by leaving the potting soil on the plants and just popping them into the soil as is. They claim that this minimizes root disturbance. While that may be true, I just don't think this is a good idea. I think the plants should be planted in the native soil in which they will be expected to grow. As a result I end up bare rooting them and then planting in my own soil. It's just an extra step for me at planting time.

I would not ever buy another "starter" plant from them. These are just way too small and take far too long to get established. I bought a Maui Buttercups three years ago in this format and it still has one eye.

So how have their plants performed in my garden? Sort of metza-metz. Some have done well and others have stagnated. In the end, I think this is an OK place to buy Hosta, but it's far from my favorite.

I buy from them mostly when they have sales. Their sale prices are really low. Right now you can get Blue Mouse Ears for under $6 and Dawn's Early Light for $8.37. At that price you could buy two plants and plant them together for the same price you get one elsewhere. I did that with Silk Kimono last year and it worked out well. Do I think they are a top 5? No.

Steve

o

I always seem to end up buying from AAhostas each year, at least once. His plants arrive in good condition and grow well for me. Everyone has had great results from Hallson's as well.

bkay

o

I am only about 3 miles from New Hampshire Hostas, so I do not use them as a mail order nursery. Their grounds are always impeccable. I prefer not to wash the soil from a potted plant, but to "pop" them in the prepared ground.I have also had great luck with Hallson's and Casita AZul.I agree with Steve, you can't beat NHH's sale prices.

o

My favorite places to order online:

Northern Grown Perennials
Hallsons
AAHostas
Bentley Gardens

Have also ordered from Jim's Hostas & Casita Azul, plants were smaller than from the other listed nurseries, but plants were healthy & have grown well.
I have orders placed from Naylor Creek & In The Country Garden & Gifts, and since I haven't ordered from them before, can't really comment yet on those 2.

Wendy

o

Bernd: "I do not really know why you mentioned my Forum name. ....."

I mentioned it in reference to your name being the only one I recognized as still frequenting the forum....referring to the thread in that post. Other forum members of 2010 posting then may have begun lurking or changed their online habits.

We all seem to have a special way of finding the plants we buy, and for me it is of necessity through online nurseries.
It would be great if a top rated hosta nursery was within comfortable driving distance, and open to the public regularly, but I'm just dreaming.

o

Nucci60,

How big are the plants you get when you go to the nursery? I'm wondering if it's worth the trip. I plan to make a day trip to Mason Hollow and Hosta Amour later this Spring.

Steve

o

Steve, they are nice size when I buy them. Comparable to Hallsons and bigger than the ebay sellers.They have a good website and usually have specials.

o

I ordered several of the sale hostas from NHH for the first time this year, and was pleasantly surprised with the size and health of the plants. I had mistakenly ordered Love Pat from another company as well (at this point, I'm trying to build my collection, not have duplicates), and was thrilled to find that the $6 plant from NHH was easily 4X the size of the $10 one from Naylor's.

Now, in light of what Steve said about initial size and growth rate, I'll be curious to see which one does better.
Karen

o
Linking another thread on topic

Streakedhosta.com experience

Here is a link that might be useful: Buying from StreakedHosta

o

Steve, I am within a reasonable drive from NH hosta so have shopped there several times. Generally, the hosta you receive by mail or the same ones you would find if you went there in person...as you said, one or two eyes. I always scour the tables, looking for more than one eye. Mine have all done well in the garden, but it's not like getting a plant from Hallson's, IMO. They do have an assortment of hosta available in larger sizes, but those tend to be the more common ones that most of us already own, and the price goes up substantially with the size.

o

Has anyone had experiance with Glenbrook Farm / Ten dollar Hostas? I saw their name in another thread here and they are not far from me - seem to have a lot of reasonable plants. I'm a newbie to mail order plants and to hostas as well. Thanks.

o

I think that's Victoria Serafin's nursery in New York. I saw her at the convention. I kept getting in the way of her photo taking and she wasn't too happy with me. But I made up for it by purchasing two $10 Hosta from her. I bought Glory and LS Ninita. Both were good sized plants.

You can buy safely from her. That is if she has plants after the predicted frost tonight.

Steve

o

Oooh I hope she doesn't get hit by the frost. I actually ordered some yesterday.....jump first and ask questions later - thats me! This up and down weather has been awfull hasn't it? I am protected some by the lake; no frost here. I hope everyone else comes through it ok. Anyway thanks for the info. All these threads make me anxious about what I am getting myself into!

o

I always purchased from Bridgewood, strayed a bit with Bluestone when they had 1/2 price sale-got three, just placed first order with Hallson today for three more. Ordered a three more from Bridgewood today because Hallson was sold out of Queen of the Sea and Stained Glass and threw in Sun Power. Thats it for this season. Went way over my limit. LOL Those should fill out my new spaces. Have to move Empress Wu and Komodo Dragon to the larger area and will put Queen of the sea and Stained Glass in place of them.

o

Somehow I discovered Bridgewood Gardens today when I was searching for Hosta Gardens (I was looking for garden pics). The website is so funny, I kept reading because it was so amusing.
I came back here to Gardenweb to check that the hosta peeps were aware of it and sure enough, I found this thread. Great website. :) Unfortunately I cannot order from them as I live in Canada but I enjoyed the read just the same.

o

For those of us in Canada ...

I prefer to buy hostas potted and leafed out as opposed to bare root - probably because my experiences with shipping have not always been good.

In the Ottawa Valley there are a number of hosta specialists but in particular I like Budd's Garden Centre http://buddgardens.com/plants.html and the Rideau Woodland Ramble http://www.rideauwoodlandramble.com/

These are not the low priced dealers but they offer quality plants, some unusual cultivars and excellent knowledgeable service.

o

We travel a lot in southern michigan, and find most all are good, and especially like K Gardens just south of Grand Rapids.

We so often find HVX problems at the big box stores such as Home Depot, Meijer, and so forth that we look but seldom consider buying there.

As a note, we find that these Big Box Stores are getting their plants from, mostly, greenhouse wholesalers from SW Michigan suppliers, so perhaps this problem has a wider, from a compass viewpoint, area ???

hh

o

Both local specialty nurseries who do not ship; owners very knowledgeable, personable, and helpful!
Central OH: Amity Farm Hosta www.amityfarm.com/
South-Central OH: Cory's Wildflowers coryshostagardens.com/

o

HH,

Do you know who those greenhouse wholesalers are?

Steve

o

A great thread created by Steve; Since it's Hosta-buying time again, why not bump it back up? Great advice is great advice, no matter when posted. Thanks to Steve.

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here