Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindycrna72

Zinc plant markers

Cindy
12 years ago

Is this what everyone is using? I saw 100 for sale on ebay for $55 with shipping. I made the mistake of buying the copper ones last year and they were so flimsy, they didn't make it the season. Also, I have a clear label maker that seems to not fade.

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

hey

you ought to try the search function w/in GW... for the long story ...

google eon industries .. the number under any type.. is the standard length ... paw paw is an equivalent .. order a couple hundred more than you think you need.. lol ...

and look into a brothers ptouch label maker ... with UV type tape ... tz-131 i think ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: first one made easy ...

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

The last couple of years I've switched to stainless steel plant markers from Kincaids. They are much heavier in both posts and plate - though cost a bit more. For 100 with shipping about $92-95 (so just under $1ea) depending on which style and post length. I just noticed they added a new post style that is more traditional looking and still is heavy. Link below. Here's one in my garden (zinc type also in pic)-

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Kincaid Markers

• Cindy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Franknjim, sent you a message. Thanks. Ken, I did a "plant markers" search in GW but as you know, the results were all over the place. Posts about garden mistakes, iris shipping and seed sowing with only a brief mention of markers. I was sure this topic had been beat to death here and nothing screams "here's another newby" like asking a question that has answered a multitude of times but the search results in GW would have taken 2 hours to read thru every post hoping someone would off handedly mention zinc markers, where they got them and how much they paid. I'm sorry, I really did try that first! :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

no need to apologize..

and if you tried.. two thumbs up ...

you are a relative newbie here.. so my only point was to 'try'.. and you did ...

notice i did answer ..

the failure of the search.. involves one of my pet peeves .. of peeps not useable searchable titles ....

AND YOUR IS ... third thumb up .. lol ..

consider yourself enabled ...

ken

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I can get the copper,or zinc ones right here at my local nursery,so I get them as I need them. They have both at the same price,(79 cents apiece),and I agree the copper ones are flimsy,but I have used them for years,so I stick to copper. I might try zinc in the future. Phil

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    12 years ago

Like Paul, I've been switching to the stainless steel markers and loving them.

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Ken, searchable titles are not interesting.

bkay

• Cindy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Phil, we must have different copper plates because mine are a strip of copper on wires and a stiff wind comes thru and you are looking at just wire! The copper ones also started to get spotty tarnish within a week and made what few were standing, hard to read.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Cindy,I've had copper plant markers for years,and they don't just blow away,(unless you get a tornado). Also if you use the clear tape from Brother,it has UV inhibitors,and I can still read the ones I've had for years. The copper outside the tape area,however,ages to a patina. Phil

• Windhaven
    12 years ago

Here is my experience with markers. I've used the Paw Paw zinc ones for years and they start off looking great but are easily bent, easily raked up and the part that goes into the ground rusts after about 4 or 5 years (just guessing but they don't last really long.)
    So recently I ordered the stainless steel variety from Kincaids as well as the Brother label maker. Wow, very substantial!! I now have a new toy and the job of re-tagging lots of plants that lost their zinc marker for one reason or another.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I have the PawPaw zinc labels, and when not stepped on (also with stainless) or raked up, they are looking fine. It is important that you leave 8 inches of old flower stalks in fall to see where they are exactly in spring, labels do not show you that. I also made myself a map in MS Excel to show where the hostas are in relation to each other, so actually do not need any markers.
    I needed to save a lot of markers as tree service was removing the top of a large pine and dragged branches around.
    Bernd