Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Just ordered Blue Jay, Cameo, & friends for them to play with

esther_b
9 years ago

After a long and very pleasant conversation with Josh Spece at Inthecountry, I ordered a hosta Blue Jay and a mini-heuchie Sweet Tart. I would have ordered Cameo from him, but he was out. I found the mini-heuchie I was really trying hard to find, Ginger Snap, at Casita Azul. They had Cameo, too, so I ordered one there. And, to fill the empty white Chinese Neighbor gift pot (remember the one that was sitting next to the garbage can for a week last year, which he triumphantly presented me with?) with the blue, red, etc. decal on it, I ordered a sedum Ruby Mantle.

Since I gifted myself with a sedum Angelina at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, I can also insert bits of that golden yellow needle-leafed sedum in with the pink and green round-leafed Ruby Mantle for an interesting contrast. It will probably be butter yellow tuberous begonias for the pot guarded by Garden Cat.

Comments (9)

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

What a nice neighbour to think of you to present you with a gift to plant Cameo. I bought this tiny jewel this year to be next Pandora's Box. Should accent each other when they grow some/ I don't have Blue Jay so will have to check this one out too

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Esther, your planned arrangement sounds so delightful..Angelina stands out..sooo glad you bought Blue Jay - I think you made the best choice for a blue for your zone. It tolerates heat quite well and maintains it's blue the best ....which is what you wanted.

Would love to see a pic when you get your order delivered and have it all planted. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Really like what I feel is happening around you, Esther.

It bodes well for a very good year.

You should watch the movie MY FAVORITE YEAR with Peter OToole...1954 was the year.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hostas seem on track. Can hardly wait to receive my new hostababies plus the new heuchies.

Now for the VACANT SPACE in the Neighbors Plot garden:

I have, I think, selected the mini-rose to plant in the space vacated by the death of my little heather plant. I have done research and I think that Rainbow's End mini rose will go great with the colors of the adjacent Neon Flash (very pink!) dwarf spirea bush and the beautiful heuchie Marmalade. I think I'll be ordering it from Heirloom Roses on the west coast, as they have own-root plants vs. the grafted ones. My greatest concern is whether the mini-rose will get the dreaded blackspot.

Here are the 3 plants. Do you think they go together?

Heuchie Marmalade:

Dwarf spirea Neon Flash:

Mini-rose Rainbow's End:

• User
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful plants, Esther. I don't think I ever saw a heuchie as pretty as the one you show. They will look gorgeous together. Breathtaking.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I think they'll look great together, Esther.

Don B.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I adore Marmelade...looks great all season. And I never met a spirea I didn't like! My spirea 'Firelights' are really showing off right now. I look forward to seeing your design all together!

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the positive opinions. Now where to order the Rainbow's End mini-rose? I spent some time on the phone with Chamblees roses in Texas, and I received a response to my email query from Heirloom Roses in Oregon. Has anyone dealt with these firms? I know that Heirloom raises their roses on their own rootstock, which is a more disease-resistant plant than one grafted onto Dr. What'shisname's roots.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I love Marmalade! I must find one...