Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Anyone growing 'Lionheart'?

User
9 years ago

Just wondering, because I knew nothing about it last year when Chris at Hallsons suggested it as a replacement for a hosta he could not send......that was my introduction to what is apparently a gorgeous hosta.

Here it is this year 2014

and here it was last year....WHO KNEW!!!

Comments (23)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ooh, I would love to have that one. It would be for one of our pups who really is lionhearted. Very pretty. Time to get busy ordering yet again.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I just got mine last year too but mine looks different then yours does. Maybe a Canadian version and not adjusted to the northern climate. I like it too

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Faye, interesting difference in our two hosta of the same name. However, anything which has "stitching" does not look right here in my garden. I have no idea why, but that is true.
    Perhaps yours is the middle stitching it is supposed to have, and mine spread out the white midleaf area....because that is a LOT of white going on in mine.

Mine came from Chris at Hallsons. I'll take a look at the HLibrary photos and at his nursery image, and see what gives. Where did you find yours?

Whatever it turns out, I like the plant I have. Just I think it will change from the white fairly soon, to become at least a creamy or pale green. I can deal with that. Love the plant.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, very different-looking examples. Mocc, yours kinda reminds me of 'Golden Meadows'.

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Both beautiful stunners...Mocc's reminds me of 'Andrew' a bit....a stunner too.

Jo

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Faye and I got our plants from a nursery in Kelowna that orders tc's from Q&Z in the summer. They grow them until fall, let them go dormant and bring them back for spring. They have many new varieties at a very low price which is great for us since we are so far from any actual Hosta Specialty Nurseries like they have in eastern Canada. I'm anxious to see it this year along with the LION I placed beside it.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I also thought of Andrew...the only reason I've resisted ordering 'Andrew' is the reputation for failure to thrive. Lionheart might be a good alternative! Sure is a looker.

9 years ago

Myrle, you have a way with showcasing your hosta. :-) You'll never forget the name, either. lol.

Jo

P.S. My girlfriend lives in Sardis...every time you BC girls post, I remember Gisele :-).

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I immediately thought Andrew, too. Looks like it's unanimous. Nice hosta!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So Andrew is an option. Darn, wouldn't Ludi go crazy for this one if it grows better than his Andrews. I would love to entice him to just LOOK at it. Cannot but wish to enable it is such good fun.

Maybe it is Lionheart sporting on me? How cool would that be.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took this shot today using my ASUS tablet. You can tell a bit of detail here.

This hosta is a big surprise to me.aND THE picture from Flickr disappeared, so I'll put what I think is the same thing from my computer. Taken on 4/21/14

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 11:17

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Wow, love the image quality of your tablet. The amazing hosta helps, too! :) I'm curious...what was the original order that this was subbed for?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jadie, now that you mention it, I had not thought of checking what it was substituted for.

I'd ordered Hudson Bay, and Hallson ran out. Chris called and asked if it was okay to sub Lionheart. I was not familiar with it. If Chris suggests something, I trust his judgement. My bonus was Mojito.

So I wound up getting Hudson Bay from MITS in a later order.
    Here it is this month.

I'm past due taking an updated photo of it looks like.

• LeafyKeen
    9 years ago

I have "Lionheart" and also got it last year from Hallsons. Mine has a lot of white like yours. It's growing slow for me, one eye this year just like last. But to be honest, it was my bonus plant and I wasn't expecting it! I just plopped it in the ground in a less than ideal spot. After seeing yours ( and taking a second look at mine) I may have to give it a little more TLC! What a beautiful plant!

This post was edited by LeafyKeen on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 20:41

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL Chris is extremely intuitive sometimes when it comes to gift plants. Last season, I had money for two plants in a Hallson Gardens order, so after waffling back and forth back and forth about whether to get Cerveza or Mojito (I had already put Stained Glass in my cart) I finally ordered Mojito.

When my order arrived, Hallson Gardens had included Cerveza as a gift plant. : ) These guys are good.

Don B.

• LeafyKeen
    9 years ago

Don, how funny! I'll bet you were happy when you opened that box. Last year was my first year trying hosta and my first order from Hallsons. I picked them thanks to the great advice I found here and was very very happy with my order! I wasn't expecting an extra plant, and I'm especially impressed it was as nice a plant as "Lionheart".

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, Leafykeen. That was a great treat, but I have to admit, I'm always happy when I open a box from Hallson Gardens. Glad you ordered from them. Now you know the hype is reality. : )

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LeafyKeen, thank you a bunch for the response with a picture. So I didn't accidentally swap tags, or the squirrels did not trick me, it really is what Lionheart looks like.

I feel lots better. Apparently your hosta and mine are right on track with looks. I had not a clue this would look this way when it woke up this spring. Went down as a caterpillar, came out as a butterfly! I guess it is teaching me the white leaf can be grown here.

Ignorance is bliss, which is why it grew, you know that's how it works. See, here is another one..
    White Elephant

9 years ago

Boy o boy, I really hope they exceed your expectations! Wouldn't that be something? nothing ventured nothing gained is my motto. Go Mocc Go!

Sheesh, it's only nearing end of April and I've seen too many already that I would love to own.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I second that, Josephine!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Your Lionheart is a beauty for sure! I will be adding that one to my short list for sure!

Linda

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ditto what Jadie wrote about the image quality on your tablet, Mocc. Fantastic shade/color contrasts and SUPER-sharp detail. I'm very envious now. : )

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, my tablet is a couple of years old. It is an ASUS 10" Transformer 201 I think it is, running Android. I think they make the Google Nexus also. I like it because I can take the photo and right away upload it to Flickr, or Photobucket if I liked but I don't use PBucket these days. I have over 6,000 photos on Flickr, mostly HOSTA!

My problem is finding the outdoor brightness setting so I can tell what I'm shooting. I generally keep it fairly dim for indoors, saves battery.

Now that the 2nd Lionheart looks like mine this year, I think it is the real thing. I will watch it to see what happens to the white. Sure wish Ludi would check in, so I could parade it by him slow and easy......I bet he already has it.....