hosta_freak

For all you snowbirds...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Here is a pic from today of part of my garden. Phil

Comments (30)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

And so it begins...again. Phil, will you take another photo weekly standing in the same spot and we can all watch your lovely woodland transform? ;-)

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice pic, Phil. Here thay all come!

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

ohhh... i am thinking of a bird for you phil ... but it doesnt have anything to do with snow...

lol

thx for the pix... i am almost snow free... just a protected pile where it was snowblown 8 feet deep is left ...

ken

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Lol Ken! A lot of us are familiar with that bird!

I spent hours in the garage and outdoors...all pots from garage are outside, snowblower's prominent location facing outward from within garage has traded places with the lawn mower. I was able to trim my perennial grasses, found really fat buds on my Itoh Peony, and lots of life in tulips, daffodils, yellow n purple crocus are blooming ... Snowdrops have been blooming since last month, underneath the snow. aND I HAVE SOME HOSTA BUDS!!! The noses have started their journey upwards! How wonderful!
    Antioch, Blue Cadet, Golden Scepter are peeking out (in the ground). Can't get at the others....way too wet to walk over grass...I would sink!

I also shovelled two feet of snow off of the potted hosta on the north/west side of the house...they would be the ones in jeopardy of rotting, not to mention them being my most mature and prized hostas! Southeast situated pots look great, snow only hanging in right against the fence on one side, otherwise, except for the snow I shovelled off, I see GREEN.

Unbelievable how warm the sun is - and such a soothing balm.

Wonderful scene, Phil ... I'll second Bkay's request. :-)

Jo

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

What an impressive scene, your hostas are already huge! What elevation is your place?
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Haven't you heard about the bird?

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Trashmen 'Surfin' Bird'

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 18:01

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

High of 75 today, with snow and a high of 35 for Sunday. I've lived here in Colorado long enough to not even consider that remotely strange anymore...

It's still only April! : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 19:00

• dougald_gw
    10 years ago

Phil - you *must* mean the Bird of Paradise:)

Lovely woodland and I remember your pics from last year. Second the motion for regular pics to show the transformation.

Snow rapidly going here too but the ground is still rock hard. Spring cannot be rushed. Pips will start to show at the beginning of May. When the southern heat lovers are cursing the 100F heat and the 99% humidity, it will be a pleasant 75F here!.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Don, that is sad.
    Kathy

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy,we are about 2000 ft.,give or take. I use a Swiss army knife that has an altimeter built into it,and it uses atmospheric pressure to get the altitude. It also has a temperature setting. That's the best I can tell,outside of getting an altimeter,which can be expensive. Phil

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose...

Seriously, it is nice to see your signs of spring and know it will be to zone 5 in a couple weeks.

The weather here is schizoid - almost 80 today and snow forecast for tomorrow night - so I'm just as happy my hostas aren't up. Everything else is just bursting out of the ground. Three warm days in a row, and I finally broke down and watered, too, so they're making up for lost time.

We were at big box stores looking for tile and a toilet (major bathroom remodel) and they all had lots of lovely plants. Ah, spring!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice Phil, There is hope here in MN. I have a few undulata poking out. They will probably freeze next week but I'm glad to see them just the same.

Beverly Lambert

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Again in the 60s today here in zone 5, one of the next days it will be 78. It is nice to work and sit outside in the sun. I cleaned everything up outside, but no hosta pips yet. Last fall I had put 6 inches deep of gravel under the chain link fence to keep voles out. It is nice to see that I saw vole holes only on the other side of the fence where there was gravel. Where there was no gravel treatment I had one vole hole this side of the fence..

Talking about birds, did you see that on the Decorah Eagle cam via Hosta Library. Papa Eagle came back, then Mama Eagle flew away, then Papa Eagle flew away, and those just born three eaglets were alone for half an hour with the bully of them starting to fight the others. But now Mama and Papa are back feeding the kids, probably with fresh kill.
    Bernd

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Most of my garden is out from under the snow due to the temperature in the past couple of days. I also, would love the see another pic of the same spot later in the season.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I feel almost as though I've been to your main gardens, Phil. Starting with the 'main' landmark for me (and others) the fountain that broke, and is now a great piece of garden art. That's where we watch for 'Sagae' when it stretches for the sun this time of year. The second landmark is your staircase that travels down the hill to another great hosta-planted chapter of your gardens.

True as can be, it's 'HOSTA VISTA' baby!!! Are there summer tours/walkabouts? Heh heh heh

You have created an awesome hosta oasis right in the side of that mountain, with literally hundreds of great varieties, and a few duds, like 'Big Daddy' (Happens to anyone who's grown more than a couple-dozen different cultivars, I think) : )

Tip O' The Cap to Mr. Phil, our hosta freak, for "Hosta Vista" 'The Mountain Hosta Oasis'

Hats off to you, Phil!!!! More pics whenever you'd like to favor us with some, please!

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For you,Don,here is a pic of Dress Blues from a couple days ago. It looks like another great year for this hosta. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Okay, now I can be at peace, I've seen Phil's green ginger jar and the resident Sagae....waiting for the big guy picture too.
    It must be a great time to stroll through your hillside, down the steps and into a different world. Whispering winds in the treetops.

Edit: Forgot to add:
    You are at elevation 2000 feet.
    I am at elevation 20 feet (22 actually).
    Every foot is precious.

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 23:45

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

This snowbird is grateful for these offerings....as she waits, and waits, and waits, and waits, and waits for drying winds and warm sunshine so she can cross the backyard to look for pips!

As ever, beautiful examples of one man's vision of hosta heaven, here on earth.

Thank you, Phil.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Snowbirds are those who leave the cold climes in winter, taking refuge in the south, until it warms up, or they have to return to pay taxes.

Therefore, i don't understand this post.

I suspect we northerners are really just being taunted!

so, moc, you've seen phil's 'ginger jar' ...

is that what they're calling it these days?

_~
    dave *confused in zone 5a*

• User
    10 years ago

Don't be confused, Bragu Dave.

Here is a definition of the term:
    ginger jar

a round jar with a domed lid, bulging out from the top and in toward the base, often adapted as a lamp base
    Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright é 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
    Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Some do not have lids. Some are tall, some are squat. If you want a picture, google the term. Phil's is to me a CLASSIC example of a ginger jar, even the color, sort of jade green.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks, Phil. 'Dress Blues' looks quite robust!

Don B.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Thanks Bernd for mentioning the Decorah Eagles Cam via the Hosta Library. I probably wouldn't even have noticed it there on the home page. When I first looked at it, I thought they should really speed up this video. But then I realized that it was actually L-I-V-E! I left it on my computer and checked it now and then. I was able to see the babies being fed. It is a wonderful sight to behold!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Geez, dress blues make ME think of the Marine Corps dress uniform.
    A sight that made me consider my virginity back in 1966.

-Babka

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

My main hosta area this morning....but, there is a glimmer of hope.

Theoretically very close to, or the same zone as you Phil (6[?] vs. 6a). Not a pip showing anywhere here today. It just goes to show how zones are only a long-term guide.

Jon

• User
    10 years ago

Looking good there, Jonny. Are you able to walk into the dry gulch/streambed spot yet? I'd love to see what that looks like too. Perhaps water discovered the streambed?

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

I woke to snow this morning. Snow in the forcast for later this evening, and into tomorrow am. Not a pip in sight anyway, just SNOW..more snow.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For Dave,bragu,I say snowbirds because you all are always talking about your snow covering everything. Well,this the south and snow is long gone because it is April. As for what mocc calls a ginger jar,it isn't that either. It used to be a water feature with a pump below it which pumped water out to the top,and cascaded down the side. Well,one year it got to freezing,and the water in it froze,and the top broke out. I didn't want to throw it away,so I recycled it to the garden,and put it down on a flat rock as garden art. The bottom and top are open,so water from rain just goes straight thru it,and it is glazed inside and out,made of earthenware,designed to be outside. That's the story about it. It stays in the same place all year 'round. Is that too much info? Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Moc,

The rock gully is still in hibernation. I will post some pics once I start to see some life there. I'm really surprised that there are no pips anywhere. I keep poking around thinking the larger hosta will show some signs of life as it has warmed up a lot here. I guess the ground is still cool from all the below zero temps over last winter.

Jon

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

phil:
    re: response.

dear phil:

no

best regards,

dave

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Pretty funny, Babka! Thanks for the laugh!
    Kathy