Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few of our young ones - Several Pics

Posted by veryblessed 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 13:36

I hesitated to post my little scrawny hostas after seeing so many beautiful pictures of yours. I have known about hostas for years, but never realized that (1) there are so many different ones and (2) how addictive collecting them can be. Anyway we just started planting hostas in the fall of 2010, with most of them going in last year. I think we are only up to around 60 right now. They were coming really well and the freeze hit. Anyway, here are a few of our recently planted ones. We are working on a larger area so we can add more! I have learned a great deal form the forum..Thanks!

Morning Star - Planted last fall
Morning Star

Volcano Island
Volcano Island

Stand By Me
Stand By Me

Whirlwind
Whirlwind

Blueberry Waffles - I have wanted this one since I saw a picture of it taken at the 2009 (I think) convention. This one has only been planted about 2 weeks.
Blueberry Waffles

Future home of many more hostas,conifers, etc.

Photobucket

PS. Thanks Ken for the link on "How to post pictures" you may come to regret sharing that with me. LOL

Thanks,
James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few of our young ones - Several Pics

Welcome over to Hosta also Frank. You've got a great bunch of Hosta there.
Cher

o

Hi James -- my goodness what a beautiful property you have -- SO MUCH potential to indulge your new passion. Hope you have lots of energy and a strong back!!! You'll no doubt have lots of admiring glances from the street back there.
Jan

o

Your property is amazing, and you've picked some really beautiful hostas. I'd love to see how this looks a few months from now when everything fully up.

o

Gorgeous property with a nice easy slope toward the street, I think every thing you plant down there will be highly visible. What a display setup. That space looks custom made for hosta and conifers. Are you able to put in a few Japanese maple? Or is it too cold for those? Something that blooms in the spring before the trees leaf out would really show up.

Always nice to have another person showing their way of planting hosta. Never too many pics for me.

o

James, welcome. I can already picture that section of your property full of hosta! Get shopping mister! :)

We do love pictures-the more the merrier! I need to do some weeding before I can post mine this year, but they are looking good. Yippee.

Cynthia

o

Gee,James,you sure have a lot of bare ground there! Lol! I wish I had that much available land,but unfornutely,I am on the side of a mountain,and too steep for many more hosta,but I still have some more room in my garden. Good luck with your future planting! Phil

o

Thanks everyone for your comments they are greatly appreciated. I am trying to be patient but I want them to be big now!! :)

Moccasin- We do have three Japanese maples in that area now a Crimson Queen, a full moon and a autumn moon they are pretty small as I had to get them mail order so they are hard to see, we also have out several hundred mixed narcissus bulbs out for early spring color.

I know what you mean about shopping I have orders in with Made in the Shade and Naylor. I am going to try to pace myself though (is that even possible) as this is going to be a long term project.
Thanks again,
James

o

Welcome to the forum, James! Thanks for posting the pics. You have a wonderful site there with lots of potential. Hostas, ferns, companion plants, etc. And you've picked out some very nice hostas. That Bluberry Waffles is an awesome, puckered, large blue hosta...you're gonna like it! Give it plenty of room...

By the way, where are you located?

o

Hey Don, Thanks... we have a little bit of all of that mixed in there, now if I can just bring it all together in to some kind of a "plan"? We are in Kentucky, about 60 miles east of Lexington. James

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here