Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coralb_gw

Where do you get pine bark fines?

coralb
13 years ago

I have looked at the 2 main big box stores and did not see anything labeled pine bark fines. They did have pine bark mulch in nuggets. I was wondering where the folks who make their own potting mix find their pine bark fines?

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

mini nuggets... about the size of your thumb pad are OK

try an upper end nursery ...

sometimes you gotta pay for what you want.. rather than relying on the bigboxstore ...

all you are trying to do.. is create large air pockets.. and allow drainage .. without too much retention of water ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: the product differs.. google suggested lowes might have them ..

• Babka NorCal 9b
    13 years ago

The kind I get out here (west coast) is fir bark, but it does the same thing. The size I use is used for mulch, and and the largest bits of bark are only 1/2".

-Babka

{{gwi:961087}}

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

My local Lowes has mini nuggets all the time. Phil

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

I tried finding it last year and had no luck with the big-box places.

I ended up finding it at a high-end nursery about 20 miles away.

I'm told that some parts of the country call it "soil conditioner".

Try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Conditioner from Lowes

• swmogardens
    13 years ago

I use pine bark mulch from Lowes. It is about $4 for a 3 cubic foot bag. It is very ground up with few really large pieces. It works great for me. I mix it with Miracle gro potting mix (50/50).

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Agree with swmogardens, picked up a bag recently at HD called pine bark mulch - most pieces are smaller(not big like the nuggets).

BTW - swmo, there is a short cut acronym used that is similar 'swmbo'- She Who Must Be Obeyed. I think of that whenever I see one of your posts - lol.

Paul

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

I bought Scotts Top Soil at HD, 2 cft for $2 or so, for general use. It consists of a lot of wood chips. I thought to use that together with 1/3 Perlite and some Cedar mulch to plant 4 new hostas coming from Hallsons in pots this coming weekend. The middle of May I then will plant them into the garden.
    Bernd

• swmogardens
    13 years ago

Paul, I always say there are only 5 words you need to know for a successful marraige: I LOVE YOU and YES DEAR.

• coll_123
    13 years ago

I've also never seen anything specifically labelled "fines". Around here, all I see is mulch- shredded bark in either red, brown, or black, or a couple types of wood, like hemlock or cedar or pine. And the big bark chunks is another option..
    Anything labelled "soil conditioner" here is more likely to resemble compost rather than mulch. So for my potting mix I just add shredded pine mulch, because that's pretty much all I can find.

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

I buy my bark fines at PETCO or PETSMART. Reptibark is the name .Used for reptile bedding.

100% natural product made from the ground bark of fir trees. Goes through a three-stage cleaning process to rid the bark of large sticks and all powdery dust and dirt. Smaller size prevents crickets from hiding in substrate.
    Perfect substrate for all high humidity loving reptiles. Hygroscopic--absorbs moisture and then releases it, creating humidity. Not heat treated--allowing bark to absorb and retain moisture more rapidly.

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

WOW, that Reptibark is EXPENSIVE! 4quart bag for $5 ?

It also looks like it's dyed... a look I stopped in my first year of gardening.

• maile_2010
    13 years ago

Buy the Reptibark when it goes on sale or oder online. I buy the 10 qt. bag for $6.49 when it's on sale. Product is not dyed. That is the look of Fir Bark.

• coll_123
    13 years ago

I figured it had to be expensive, as virtually everything else is at Petco or Petsmart! The cost of dog toys there is outrageous. I have a lot of hosta to pot, so I need something more economical. It's frustrating that all the box stores around here carry the same products, and all the nurseries carry the same thing as each other as well. Maybe Agway has something different- I should check that.

• coralb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I thought after a few years I was leaving the realm of being a newbie but I guess not since I walked right by the pine mulch! I will stop by HD tomorrow after work to get some so I can pot up my new arrivals.

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

I bought some today at Lowe's. It was pine bark mulch out of Arkansas. They called the larger one decorative mulch. I'm sure their stock varies by region.

bkay