Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emerging_in_MN

Posted by paul_in_mn 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 13:44

Finally some of the earliest hosta are starting to stretch out.....a few pics.

Marrakech - fun form and color
Hosta

Eola Salad Bowl - nice edges on early leaves, new last year
Hosta

Fire Island aglow
Hosta

Elizabeth Campbell and Pineapple Upsidedown Cake - EC will green up, but fun to catch the colors early; PUC seems like chaos with leaves at all angles
Hosta

Alabama Gold - got a head start in pot - doubled each of the last two years
Hosta

Journey's End - serene little spot, JE will command this whole area by mid June
Hosta

On Stage Seedling (2nd year) - 3-4 of these seedlings have picked up some of the On Stage streaking
2011 Hosta seedling 'On Stage

Irish Luck(Invincible seedling) - 2nd year, bought as liner, and it has grown well...will be bigger than Invincible. Hopefully more leaves get the wave and ruffles like the leaf to the left.
Hosta

montana Aureomarginata as art form
Hosta

Northern Exposure in a carpet of Sweet Woodruff
Hosta

Liberty with huge margins - added 4 eyes this year, yesssss!
Hosta

Red Trillium - have a number of Trillium, this is the first to bloom
Red Trillium

June - added this one in sun last year and it's back strong
Hosta

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emerging_in_MN

Beautiful Paul. Your patience has paid off and everything is looking lovely coming up. Question - Is Sweet Woodruff evergreen in your zone?
Cher

o

Ahhhhh - spring at last! You have some real beauties. Love the sweet woodruff too.
Jan

o

Cher, I think some does stay under the leaf cover, but looking at some old pics, it appears to mostly die back. Your zone may allow it to stay evergreen.

Jan, it doesn't take much sweet woodruff to get it started. Beautiful Forget-me-not size white flowers in a week or two. It's supposed to work well in dry shade, which also slows the spreading.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul

o

Paul,beautiful,as usual! I'm going to look for some of that Sweet Woodruff. I need some good groundcover to keep out the weeds. Most of my hostas will not have a problem growing in it. Phil

o

Great photos. I saw the Chihuly art exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum. Some of it kind of looked like your montana Aureomarginata.

bkay

o

they all look diseased to me..

please dig them up .... and send them to me .. for further observation ...

ken

ps: do you have any idea.. how many times a week i post your photobucket 'how to'..

o

Phil, 1 or 2 - 4in pots of Sweet Woodruff can go a long ways. All this is from 1 pot that was divided in 4 and then divided a couple of times in next couple of years. I try to keep a patch or two of ground covers going in each garden area - ginger, ajuga, vinca, lamiums, hardy geraniums, etc. If you were close I'd drop some SW off.

bkay, saw your Chihuly pics very neat.

Ken, I'll keep an eye on them.....glad the 'how to' is useful.

Paul

o

Paul, real eye candy growing in your garden.
I have Alabama Gold and June ordered, hope they arrive like MONDAY!! Both look wonderful.

o

All beautiful. June continues to be a favorite of mine and yours is especially pretty. I will look forward to more pics later in the season showing how the sweet woodruff looks once the hostas are large.
Christine

o

Nice pictures. I bought that Journey's End last year, based on one of your pictures. I also used that post ken mentioned to post my first picture. Thanks for the pictures and advise.
Beverly (off to Venero today)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here