Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Emerging_in_MN

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Finally some of the earliest hosta are starting to stretch out.....a few pics.

Marrakech - fun form and color

Eola Salad Bowl - nice edges on early leaves, new last year

Fire Island aglow

Elizabeth Campbell and Pineapple Upsidedown Cake - EC will green up, but fun to catch the colors early; PUC seems like chaos with leaves at all angles

Alabama Gold - got a head start in pot - doubled each of the last two years

Journey's End - serene little spot, JE will command this whole area by mid June

On Stage Seedling (2nd year) - 3-4 of these seedlings have picked up some of the On Stage streaking

Irish Luck(Invincible seedling) - 2nd year, bought as liner, and it has grown well...will be bigger than Invincible. Hopefully more leaves get the wave and ruffles like the leaf to the left.

montana Aureomarginata as art form

Northern Exposure in a carpet of Sweet Woodruff

Liberty with huge margins - added 4 eyes this year, yesssss!

Red Trillium - have a number of Trillium, this is the first to bloom

June - added this one in sun last year and it's back strong

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (10)

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful Paul. Your patience has paid off and everything is looking lovely coming up. Question - Is Sweet Woodruff evergreen in your zone?
    Cher

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Ahhhhh - spring at last! You have some real beauties. Love the sweet woodruff too.
    Jan

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cher, I think some does stay under the leaf cover, but looking at some old pics, it appears to mostly die back. Your zone may allow it to stay evergreen.

Jan, it doesn't take much sweet woodruff to get it started. Beautiful Forget-me-not size white flowers in a week or two. It's supposed to work well in dry shade, which also slows the spreading.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Paul,beautiful,as usual! I'm going to look for some of that Sweet Woodruff. I need some good groundcover to keep out the weeds. Most of my hostas will not have a problem growing in it. Phil

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Great photos. I saw the Chihuly art exhibit at the Dallas Arboretum. Some of it kind of looked like your montana Aureomarginata.

bkay

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

they all look diseased to me..

please dig them up .... and send them to me .. for further observation ...

ken

ps: do you have any idea.. how many times a week i post your photobucket 'how to'..

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phil, 1 or 2 - 4in pots of Sweet Woodruff can go a long ways. All this is from 1 pot that was divided in 4 and then divided a couple of times in next couple of years. I try to keep a patch or two of ground covers going in each garden area - ginger, ajuga, vinca, lamiums, hardy geraniums, etc. If you were close I'd drop some SW off.

bkay, saw your Chihuly pics very neat.

Ken, I'll keep an eye on them.....glad the 'how to' is useful.

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Paul, real eye candy growing in your garden.
    I have Alabama Gold and June ordered, hope they arrive like MONDAY!! Both look wonderful.

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

All beautiful. June continues to be a favorite of mine and yours is especially pretty. I will look forward to more pics later in the season showing how the sweet woodruff looks once the hostas are large.
    Christine

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Nice pictures. I bought that Journey's End last year, based on one of your pictures. I also used that post ken mentioned to post my first picture. Thanks for the pictures and advise.
    Beverly (off to Venero today)