Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

Opening Day!

It's a gorgeous Spring Day here in Central Massachusetts. The Red Sox are playing their home opener. No frost in the forecast. It's 60 degrees today, with 70 tomorrow and 80 on Sunday. And rain is in the forecast for next week. But most importantly many of the Hostas have decided to announce their arrival today. Some are leafed out, some are still in beautiful tight spears. Here are some pics.

Sagae

Liberty

montana Aureomarginata

Cracker Crumbs

So Sweet

Sweet Innocence. Those are Darwin Hybrid Tulips in the background.

Touch of Class

Stingray

Lakeside Cha Cha

{{gwi:961342}}

Shade Fanfare

Dance With Me

Glory

Victory

Blue Angel

Golden Sculpture

Go Sox!

Steve

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Yee-haaaAAAAA!! Go Sox! And looks like go hosta as well.
    If weather continues to be so great, the gorgeous plants in the pictures above will be doubled in size within a week.

Of the ones above, I have Sweet Innocence, Victory, and So Sweet. My Victory is a little bit ahead of yours as far as leafed out, it has about 5 leaves open on one plant. Oh yeah, my Blue Angel finally broke the ground with two or three eyes, which really surprised me. I thought something ate it! Holes all around it. But there it was, much later than the Winter Snow emerging--Winter Snow is a mass of tender green right now, so thick I cannot tell how many eyes came up as shoots. But it is pretty, and it is one of my three planted in the ground. Testing one two three.

Please think about repeating the show from up there next week.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

WoW!! Nice to see eyes poking thru,isn't it! I know you've seen some of my pics,but those look like a month ago down here. Hope you're weather continues to improve. I hope that rain stops by here on the way to your house;we are so dry. Continued success! Phil

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Your post made me laugh. Spring is grand, indeed.
    Christine

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Wow Steve! All those beautiful plants and NO weeds! We have three days of rain in the forecast this week so perhaps some of mine will jump. Isn't life great??
    Jan

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Almost perfect. I say "almost" because, while the Sox won, we might have lost Ellsbury for the season.

Glad to know that someone else's idea of summer joy is "hostas and baseball."

the other Steve

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Steve - Looks like your hostas are having a leap year. I can't believe the number of shoots on your Lakeside Cha Cha!

Oh, all the memories of Fenway Park! Those are stories I'll never tell my children :)

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

And the Red Sox won with Becket!
    Steve, 4 hours west from you via Mass Pike here in zone 5 in NY state the hostas are still shivering under the mulch, except for Albo Marginata and Lancifolia only pips are showing for most of them, some are still under ground. Though spring flowers are giving a great show. Since no rain is in the forecast for 10 days I will water today the whole backyard. But the day will come when mine look like yours, Steve and Phil!
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

BTW,Steve,Daffodils are long since done blooming here,and Rhododendrons are starting to come out. Phil