Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Made In The Shade trip. Very pic heavy!

Posted by CindyCRNA 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 13:52

Here is some pics from Made In The Shade owned by Rob Mortko and his wife. Due to a family illness, he has not been able to do spring cleaning on the grounds but his greenhouse is impeccable. Extremely knowledgeable and very personable, I found myself handing him more and more money!! His plants are perfect and he does his own TCs. His greenhouse is modest but his variety is vast, as you can see from his website. http://www.hostaguy.com/index.html I will be going back!!

Greenhouse:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Grounds:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Made In The Shade trip. Very pic heavy!

Stitch In Time, his mature plant and my purchase, the most expensive hosta I have to date.....still a bargain at $42!
Stich in Time
Stich In Time

And it's reverse, Mango Tango, first his, then mine.
Mango Tango
Mango Tango

o

A pair of Spilt Milk:
Spilt Milk

A trio of Dancing Queen:
Dancing Queen

A trio of Wheee!:
Wheee!

Pandora's Box. This one is so much cuter than this picture!
Pandora's Box

o

My goodness Cindy, those pictures make the money in my wallet want out. I love how well organized everything looks, and the great info tags on the wall. My closest hosta nursery (Hosta Choice in Appin Ontario) doesn't open until May 12. A while longer to wait.
Jan

o

His grounds are wonderful, his greenhouse is lovely, with a great design and those Hosta are gorgeous. Absolutely LOVE what you chose.
Cher

o

Looks like you had a great day! Good picks. Now I want a Wheee and a Pandora's Box. Have a great day all, Paula

o

Great pictures . I so want a pandoras box. Only wish i had a hosta heaven near me . hank

o

Golly, what a lovely place. Your choices are marvelous, too. Not sure how you exercised such constraint, though. ;) I am thinking that my garden REALLY NEEDS 'Whee' and 'Pandora's Box'. Nevermind that I still have some to plant...always room for a few more, right?!

o

Glad to see Hank back posting, looks like he's springing forward with the hosta! Yeah, I hope I'm waiting for a Pandora's Box to arrive, cannot remember now. I have a Mango Salsa, also very yellow, and waiting for ONE Wheee! to arrive.

Egads that greenhouse is a Zen temple with such a great feeling about it. I'd also noticed the very orderly rows of information tags on the boards above the planting benches. The structure with the square lathe shades the plants yet gives them good natural light. I notice the heater at the far end, for his cold climate that gets a lot of use I bet.

You did a great job reporting and I intend to add a link to the WHO TO BUY HOSTA FROM thread so this one will come up as a possible choice.

Your Dancing Queens look like mine does...I only have one. As time goes by, I expect to be adding more. However, at this point counting the ones on hand and the ones ordered yet not delivered, I'll have 115 different hosta when the dust settles. I'll have to at LEAST wait until DH goes out of town to buy any more on my 2013 list, just a wee bit early.

I notice that you said "my FIRST visit" and I chuckled at that. You betcha....FIRST IS RIGHT.

o

Welcome to this forum, hillbillyhosta, you just joined.
It seems that 'hillbillyhosta = Hank' is not 'Hostahillbilly = HH = Mark'? HH did not post for many months, hope he is OK.
Bernd

o

Verry nice plants,and greenhouse! I haven't been to any of my hosta places yet this year,but I need to get out there soon! Phil

o

Oh, but there is more! Spartacus:
Spartacus

I love the Mouse series. It joins my Blue Mouse Ears and Mighty Mouse:
Mouse Trap

o

Oh, now see what you did, now I'm gonna have to go to Kansas City.

Sandy

o
How did I only buy 1!!

A good reason to go back! Neptune:
Neptune

o

Cindy -- clever of you to break up your photo posts. Now we've all lost count! Rather like having three SMALL portions of dessert! The more the merrier. Now -- to plant them.
Jan

o

Thanks for posting Cindy. I bought a Pandora's Box yesterday too! Now, I must go out and find Neptune.

Gesila

o

Gesila, that Neptune is really a pretty plant. A very pretty gray blue with a white waxy haze, and then those ruffles! And the Pandoras box is adorable. It went in a mini pot with 3 others to showcase it a bit.

o

It seems that 'hillbillyhosta = Hank' is not 'Hostahillbilly = HH = Mark'? HH did not post for many months, hope he is OK.
Bernd

Oops, my mistake, I beg your pardon, all the HH's whomevers.
:)

I blame Cindy on my lapse of control yesterday, and now I have another order (or two, and 2 auction bids.....sigh).

o

You have purchased many that are "on my list," Neptune, Spartacus and the one I'm picking up Saturday, Dancing Queen. These pictures you shared are great. Thanks
Beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here