Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorabell_gw

ID ing a few

lorabell_gw
9 years ago

I've 4 unnamed hostas that came with our place and I'd hoping to ID them as I would like to divide several of them and bring to a local plant exchange. Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, I'm a long time lurker, and have about 20 others ID'ed already.

First one, I have about 8 of the same scattered around. Gets a good size.

Comments (8)

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second one,

Again, I've quite of few scattered around.

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3rd one,

Sad little thing, hasn't really done anything in 3 years

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

# 4

Nice looking

Again, any help would be great. I like to be able to have names when I take to an exchange......or at least try!!!!
    Thanks in advance...

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Hi Lorabell here I are my (educated) guesses.
    1. Sieboldiana elegans or Blue Angel once the plant is a little further developed it will be easy to tell.

2. Undulata mediovariegata

3. ??? (possibly albopicta) again in about a month it will be easier to tell.

4. undulata albomarginata

Hope this helps

cheers

J.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi Lorabell,

All I have to add is...Heh heh heh...Are you familiar with the Hosta Library?

I think Jim nailed all those I.D.'s for you...

Welcome to the hosta forum, so to speak. All lurking aside : )
    Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hosta Library Website...Happy Browsing...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 0:11

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim
    Thank you so much for your help. I'm heading to the exchange on Sunday and appreciate such a fast response.
    Don
    Thanks for the confirmation. I try to be somewhat accurate when labeling, even for a small exchange and always seem to second guess myself when looking at so many varieties that all start blending together..... I was pretty sure on Blue Angel, not even close on the others.. Ha

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the undulatas are obvious.. and unmistakable ...

the blue is impossible to name.. other than guess ...

its leaf shape is consistent with an immature elegans ...

IMHO.. its not even close to BA ... the leaf tips are not pointed ...

many of the non-hosta catalogs offer hosta collections.. which are the undulatas and elegans ....

i see no indication.. the prior owner ... presuming this is all the hosta.. was a collector.. who may have paid a premium.. for BA ...

i do not think it proper to label it as such

in all reality ... if you want named hosta.. you buy named hosta... unlike the undulata clan.. most are not ID'able.. with certainty ... but we sure enjoy guessing ...

if you are trading and swapping... you will get what you get ... but may never be sure of what you get ...

of course.. there are the ten foot rule hosta... which everyone can ID at 10 feet ... but when you get into large blues.... its much trickier ..

come back often.. we like to enable.. and teach....

ken

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK,
    I will just take them as unnamed. Don't know why I was stressing.

Don't need too much help in the enabling department though,
    I self-enable! Between daylilies, heucheras, hosta, succulents, begonias, salvias....oh my....you get the picture.

Ken, I do enjoy your posts....I'm a daily lurker in the plant ID forum as well.... Keeping it real..ha. And I appreciate that. But you never do know what's hidden in someone's garden. I have high dollar daylilies sitting beside 2 dollar hostas....they both make me happy...st the moment. I do cap myself at no more than 50 each....50 daylilies, 50 hosta, I've bought 20 newer hosta now based on many inputs from this forum.... Plus have those that I will mark as unknown because I didn't buy.. Can't wait to see what everyone is adding this year....

Thanks again.