Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

H.'Satisfaction' or what?

User
12 years ago

Since it came up this spring, I've wondered if I REALLY had 'Satisfaction' or not. I did not BUY it, intentionally anyway. But it is the only ID I can match with this plant.

This morning I noticed the scape had one blossom open, tubular is what I'm thinking (YMMV), and it has a slight lavender tinge to it.

I was happy with the designation of Satisfaction, but when I reread the plant description, it said the bloom was NEAR WHITE. Just how do you know something is NEAR WHITE if it has a very faint lavender not a cream tint to it?

I'm putting the latest pictures up one more time. I know I did it before, but cannot find that topic again, so let's start over. The photos are pretty accurate color wise.

Let's take a vote and tell me if you vote for the ID as

Satisfaction and be done with this conundrum. Otherwise, I guess I'll be buying a legitimate Satisfaction to satisfy my need to know. Most things don't bother me, but this does. Why could it not be one of the plants I BOUGHT......

(mumblemumble).....

Thanks you all.

Comments (25)

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

I don't think it is Satisfaction. Mine at least is more wavy than evenly rippled like yours. Mine also does not show lavender in the flower. I don't have Spartacus yet but I found this link showing the flower of Spartacus.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JUiqrujz7n6skbty5XXrBg

• hostamanphil
    12 years ago

My first thought was Earth Angel.Phil

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

I believe it to be Spartacus also. Rippling is larger between undulations then Satisfaction and the green coloring bleeds out from the center as well and is not a solid line as in Spartacus.

Scott

• allnitro
    12 years ago

My guess would be 'American Icon'

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

I should clarify the bleeding of the green is different in Satisfaction and the leaf more ovate/elongated than in Spartacus. Also the tissue between the veins is raised in Satisfaction whereas in Spartacus it is not. Your plant shows a flat surface from what I can tell which indicates it is probably Spartacus. Mislabled plants are a common occurance in the nursery trade and very frustrating not to get what you thought you were.

• Wendys_garden
    12 years ago

Could it be Lakeside Cindy Cee? The registry description says "near white flowers", but the flower picture on the photo library shows they have a faint lavender color.

Wendy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Johnsp
    12 years ago

It does kind of look likie Lakeside Cindy Cee both color pattern and leaf venation are similar to Cindy Cee. C.C and Spartacus are so similar without a name tag might be hard to tell the two apart. I'm fairly certain though it is not Satisfaction as the leaf is very different from Satisfaction again tissue between veins is not raised.

Scott

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mctavish, ok, if it is Spartacus, I'll be consoled losing the Satisfaction. And it does look possible. The green is a softer shade of green at this time, and the rippled edges are not curling or anything to give a feeling of motion. The plant feels "calm" if you know what I mean. The flower on the Spartacus link you gave feels a little bit different in shape--because it is at a different stage of growth? But the color is about right to match my plant.

The Google pictures seems to mostly match the leaf pattern, although one of the shots is much darker green. Considering this is early in the season, it could change. Since Plant Delights also sells Spartacus, and I purchased my first order there, Spartacus is definitely possible.

Ok, I have one vote for Spartacus, with supporting comparisons. Definitely not a junk yard dog!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, when I sat down and typed the reply only Mctavish had posted. Then I went out to take another look in the hosta area, and of course got side tracked for a couple of HOURS.

One thing I mentioned in the reply I made above was the plant has a "calm" look, maybe "smoother" look would be better, and that is something that Scott mentioned as a characteristic of Spartacus.

Considering the source of the plant as Plant Delights, I was checking their hosta list over the last couple of years (I keep their print catalogs because of the cover art)to see what they might have close at hand when grabbing plants to fill my order. One plant I did NOT get (the one I ordered which got mischosen) was FAITH. When the one I reordered arrived this week, I knew I'd never seen it growing at all. It did not help matters that all the plants I did order were delivered to Massachusetts and put in the ground by my DH before I got there from Alabama....and he mislabeled most of them. (Names don't mean much to a veggie farmer!)

I'll be looking at the other names submitted before making any conclusions. If they could be ringers for what I have, how wrong could I be if I bought all of them! I sure like what this plant is doing here in deep south Alabama.

Lakeside CindyCee again is a lovely option. The flower is the same shape or the blossom is, but the top of the scape is different. Also, the way the plant grows is much "busier" than the one in my garden. This one hase every leaf in place, very organized, and not sort of helter skelter like the image of LCC.

American Icon--pretty, but not a match. It does not FEEL like the plant I have.

Spartacus --The BaliHai picture has the same soft green, and slightly rippled edges, not heavily textured or bumpy veins. I found it (out of alphabeitcal order, BTW) in HostaLibrary and the way the bloom grows at the top of the scape is right; also the color is right. Would like to see the tubular bloom opened up, but no big deal. The leaf has the right feel to it as well. Not deeply veined, nor rough surfaced, a little frilly but mine might display more frills as it grows older. The leaf tip is correct too, not pointy and flipped into a spit curl. The more mature plant shown in the library is darker than mine somewhat, but the scape which is fairly short looked just like mine, before mine grew a little taller--it started pretty short actually, and looked like a lavenderish rose bud on the end. I was very surprised by having a bloom this early, when I expected blooming to occur no earlier than late May.
    Perhaps the plant would be darker leafed before blooming in cooler climates?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hostamanphil, I overlooked your response, sorry.
    There is one of the pictures in Hostalibrary which resembles this plant, but the scapes are wrong. Of course, the scape on mine may not be the plant's NORMAL GROWTH, since this is pretty early to be having blooms--don't know that figures into it or not, but who can tell.

I'm looking at the photo taken by Les Coates, which has budding scapes, not the fully grown taller and open scapes.
    The blooms are not the way this plant blooms. And they are a darker lavender as well. The leaf is a bit darker, and it does not have that softness about the color of the green. The Earth Angel does not have the soft haze over its green, and thus it is a bit more saturated green. Also, the whole leaf seems wavy and not the edge rippled.

Maybe one day I'll learn how to point out differences in hosta!

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Wow! That's a nice pot, whatever it's name. How long have you had it? You think you got it from Plants Delights?

bkay

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I doubt that it's Earth Angel. Earth Angel has more rounded leaves,like this pic of mine from last year. The other Phil

{{gwi:960597}}

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, BKay. Yes, I know I got it from PDN, because that was the only place I ordered from when I got started. And this plant was on the first order for hostas, delivered to Massachusetts, and DH planted them. I tried to ID them all once before I knew anything about hosta, since the name tags were mostly gone or mixed up.

I was able to ID all of them, except this one. I kept looking for FAITH, which I ordered, and this was the only one left with NOID, and it sure was not Faith.

Let me reconstruct the time line in reverse.

Last November 2011, we brought all the hosta from up north to Alabama. The ones from Seawright Nursery were in small pots, and never in the ground since I got them around Oct 2011. All other hosta had been shipped south from the start (I'd ordered them while I was up north) and were not part of the big move in the PODS.

These PDN plants were all in the ground, and had spent a whole year there, so I bought them in May 2010. They spent one whole winter of 2010 dormant in Massachusetts, in the ground. They spent the 2011 winter in pots in south Alabama. THIS plant I potted in mid November 2011,in a regular pot (not a nursery pot) left it untouched here in Alabama, and it began growing really early this year, like late Feb 2012--I'm assuming that, because I had them all covered up with a big load of pine straw to moderate the warmth and keep them a bit drier if possible. When I uncovered this guy, he was putting up eyes everywhere. The root ball had been big when I dug it out of the ground up north, and I gave it a big pot. It had been planted up there in some really fine garden soil, where DH had a veggie garden for 40 years, and besides removing all the glacial junk rock, he had dumped tons (no joke) of manure and peat and it was like perfect soil. Wish I could bring that garden south with us too.

This plant looked nice the first summer I saw it--except DH had a new riding lawn mower and had sideswiped a few hosta before I got there.

This plant, which I'll now begin calling SPARTACUS, seems to be happy growing here in the humidity in dappled shade, although the temps are not as intense as they will become, as you well know. We'll see how it does in June and July. Hosta everywhere will begin to falter in August and September, and this one will be pretty tired by that time.

Let's hope it continues to prosper and we'll be adding its name to a list of good choices to grow where its hot and humid.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, other-Phil. That demonstrates the difference in mine and your hosta. Not Earth Angel.

The original hosta I got from PDN shipped to Massachusetts:
    plantaginea
    Lederhosen
    Eskimo Pie
    Brother Stefan
    Dick Ward
    S & S
    and.......Faith....which was missing....and instead...,
    the NOID, which looks like Spartacus more and more.

• uk-hostaman
    12 years ago

deffo not 'spartacus' margins are too wide..heres mine

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Not to mention the leaf tip twist that Spartacus has. It's definitely not Spartacus.

I still think it's Satisfaction. I see what Myrle says about the ripples, but if you look at the Library pics there are some that look just like Moccasin's pictures.

Chris is probably too busy packing orders at this point (and I don't want to interrupt him), but I'd like to see him weigh in on this one.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

How about 'Spring Fling'?

-Babka

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Margins are too wide for Spring Fling.

Steve

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would be satisfied if the NOID turned out to be Satisfaction. I ordered a real Satisfaction, which was delivered and planted yesterday. It looks sort of golden leafed, maybe that is what the NOID seemed to be earlier this spring before I started paying attention to its appearance. Because I did not know Faith was missing. Instead, there was always THIS PLANT which puzzled me from the beginning.

Well, I have a couple of pictures to add here, taken a few days ago. I cut off a big leaf with a few holes in it. The scape is taller than it started out being, very perpendicular, and in the shade it is not at all "NEAR WHITE." The leaves have about the heaviest texture of any plant I've touched. There is one long blade leaf (lanceolate) beneath the other petioles, in case that helps ID this. Here are the investigative photos for those who love a mystery.

And then I noticed this discoleration of the NOID leaf:
    Wonder if it is from it being an old leaf losing coloration, or if it implies something more sinister:

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

That discoloration is nothing to worry about. Could be frost damage. Could be Spring dessication or dessication from your having cut the leaf. MyHostas database says that the flowers of Satisfaction are "pale lavender." That seems about right. What is the shape of the plant?

Steve

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll take a look after dinner, Steve. Thanks for the reassurance of the discoloration being accounted for.

If I have two Satisfactions, I won't mind a bit. Heavy heavy substance, strong plant after all it's been through.

How is the leaf back described? gray, frosted, glaucous, misty, what....

The leaf margin color continues with a narrow band down each side of the petiole, sort of a yellow green .

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No pictures showing its plant shape, naturally.
    I looked at the Satisfaction pictures in hostalibrary, and the final one appears like this one. (Most looked at the plant from the top, not the side or bottom).

I'd describe it as

petioles flaring out uniformly from one spot at the soil level. The overall shape of the top is umbrella, the leaves are very uniformly laid out gradually dipping down at the tips without twisting or curling, yet the margins are pie crimped. I raised the plant to sit on an overturned pot because I could not see beneath it at ground level.

At eye level with the container, it appears the leaves all stop and give a good view beneath the plant. Like an umbrella, is my impression. It has a lot of corrugation, but it is not deformed in any way. Excellent substance, I'd say, very tough leaf. A well organized plant.

Something which does not fit this plant is a 12 inch long lanceolate leaf or blade growing at the bottom of the plant without appearance of a petiole. It has pale green center sort of striped, and then a light golden green margin up both sides. I see only one of those, will get a picture of it tomorrow. Did not want to cut it off. Not yet anyway.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

The registry describes both the top and bottom of the leaves as "slightly shiny." While you are in the process of ordering everything under the sun, you should order Piedmont Gold, the plant from which Satisfaction sported. It's my favorite gold.

Steve

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mmmmmm, mighty tempting.
    I almost did it, then second thoughts.
    How about doing it next year? I'll know by then if these can endure our climate, and can replace the ones which fail with something gorgeous, like Piedmont Gold, Sagae, Orange Marmalade. And one like Gesila uploaded in the gorgeous leaf thread...something Paradise.

Too bad that Rhino Hide is shown only south to zone 7.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Revisiting this thread with spring 2014 pictures of the NOID2010PDN (as I will refer to it) and the Satisfaction I purchased 4-2-2012 from Hornbaker. I took this picture this morning of the NOID2010PDN and the real Satisfaction.

I'm still reviewing the options presented above--again since in the last 2 years I forgot what the candidates look like.

The margin has diminished in size since 2012. The margin on the real Satisfaction looks very wide in comparison. NOW does it look like Spartacus?It is now showing narrower margins and a twist at leaf tips. I'm revisiting that as a possibility.
    But will look into LS Cindy Cee and Spring Fling.

Thanks guys. It is probably easier to judge now that the plant is more mature. I never realized how much they change every year.