Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsp_gw

YES the Heuchera forum is approved

Johnsp
12 years ago

Great new everyone admin has approved the forum for Heucheras. They've asked me to submit a photo-jeez started typing hosta..lol, that will appear on the opening page. Most of mine are just putting out new growth and the rest has winter damage. If you have a great plant or non copyrighted photo please post in here. I would suggest we all vote for the picture we like best and that one will grace the opening page if that sounds fair.

Scott

Comments (64)

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

Here's a collage from what I have that looks good now.
    If I may....I think what so many of us love about Heuchera is the vast diversity in color. This pic celebrates that diversity.

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

• Cindy
    12 years ago

Oh Melissa, I really like the second one. I love the representation of many of the colors.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I too like the heuchera collage. So colorful.

Karen

• hostaLes
    12 years ago

I can't wait for it to get up and running. I might be one of the first with an NOID. lol

Les

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

I vote for Melissa's picture!

Deanna

• tomahawkclaim
    12 years ago

Another vote for Melissa's collage. Nance

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

I vote for Melissa's photo. The first one that is round. Great work combining the leaves like that. Good representation of plants and life.

I need help fast as I need to know what I did to this plant. It started to go south so I replanted it (slight root bound) and now it is I do not know? I am worried I may lose this one. Planted in a gritty mix. It is a Dolce Cream Brulee. Now you all know why I needed this new forum LOL! I do not want to change this post but i did not know where to put this sick puppy to get help. Thank you all Paula

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Looks like crown rot to me. I'm not sure if there is a whole lot you can do with it, but maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can help.

Karen

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paula what type of light is it getting and how wet has the soil been? How long have you had it? Just planted or you've had it for some time and this just started? If it's crown rot then you would be able to pull a leaf or two easily from the crown but the picture looks like the plant hasn't suffered that yet but let me know about the questions I asked.

Scott

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

Hi all, I just got this Heuchera on Easter at Lowe's. This one was out front with morning shade and afternoon filtered sun. I got a Peach Melba at the same time and purchased 2 of each which are doing great. Watering right now is every 3 days as I only grow in pots with a gritty mix. It had been in a coconut/shredding mix before. The crown does not seem to be mushy just that the leaves are now laying down and drying up in the middle. I have not seen any bugs. Thank you all, Paula

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paula more than likely it is getting to much water and the roots are dying which would cause the plant to collapse. When you repotted it you most likely saw how fine and tiny the roots were so it doesn't take much to have them rot. As a general rule at least for tropicals since most are grown in pots here in the north I advise people watering should be done as necessary not on a set schedule as temperature and sunlight will affect how quickly the soil dries out and the plant's need. A stretch of warm sunny days will require a plant be watered more often as opposed to cool cloudy days. I love and use Miracle-Gro potting soil for everything. It is primarily organic based and add perlite to the mix depending on the plant for better drainage. I've tested many soil brands over the years and found this too be a near perfect container soil particularly since the Ph is almost always neutral and I can adjust that as needed. With Heucheras it is better to underwater than to much.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    12 years ago

Thank you for making the Heuchera Forum happen.

I can't stop looking at my Caramel this spring. At this time in my zone the hostas are mere pips for the most part, with only a few unfurling so far. My Caramel is dazzling and draws my eye every time I look out the window. I don't think the photo (taken this cloudy morning) does it justice but here it is.

Here is the same spot in the garden last June. That is Heuchera Beaujolis behind Caramel. If you don't have Beaujolis, it is a must have for me. It bloomed non-stop last summer and fall.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    12 years ago

Correction - Heuchera Beaujolais not Beaujolis

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Connie glad you are joining us. I really like the first picture with the boulder reminds me of my neighbor's gardens at my family's summer home on Georgian Bay at Lion's Head.

Scott

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    12 years ago

Thanks Scott. I wouldn't be surprised if that boulder was from around Georgian Bay...I am in Oakville, Ontario (just west of Toronto).

Connie

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I vote for Melissa's collage too. Love it.

Santa Rosa Gardens ships in pots. I've purchased from them many times. They specialize in ornamental grasses but do have perennials such as Heuchera and...Hostas. :)

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOl well there is plenty up there to be had. Ok spent a lot of time in Gulph when I was a kid during summers. My mother's best friend lives there and her family is a major sponsor of a large botanical garden near there which I can't recall the name of either. I just remember the huge rose garden they had.

Scott

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    12 years ago

The Royal Botanical Gardens is in Burlington. http://www.rbg.ca/ That might be the one you visited Scott.

It looks like they have a big plant sale on May 3rd, 5th and 6th...I may need to take a little drive. :)

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just talked to her it was in Burlington. Just googled it, it's the Royal Botanical Garden. Figures the website is advertising their 36th annual plant sale and guess what the picture is loaded with...hostas.

Scott

• rosie742001
    12 years ago

Omg, this is going to be great fun! I live in Oregon, a great place for Hosta and Heucher and we have some sunshine today!!! Got to get outside!

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, love the heuchera collage!!
    It says it all
    You did a great job there, Melissa. The other pictures are neat, but this one is diverse as you say.

• kskaren
    12 years ago

I vote for Melissa's collage too! Now I can quit thinking about getting some good shots of mine for now...
    Karen

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

I vote for Melissa's collage, the 2nd photo.

ConnieMay, that shot of Caramel is stunning.Mine never looks like this at any time of year. Also love the boulder and the polygonatum pips.

Cindy, wow, rootbeer is gorgeous with flowers to match the foliage.

Christine

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    12 years ago

I also vote for the 2nd collage photo.

I'm looking forward to asking my first Heuchera question in the new forum. I have a Georgia Peach doing something interesting.

Thanks Christine. I am looking forward to seeing those polygonatum pips develop...I was told that the variegated ones were slow to multiply but this one has 4x the number of pips as last year when I planted it.

Connie May

• marquest
    12 years ago

Yeah!!! Thank you, thank you.

OK all lets make sure we support the forum when it gets started. Even if we have to itch about which ones we lost. It helps to know which ones survive in certain zones.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well Melissa you have a number of votes already. I see a lot of new people posting here at least new to me so let me say again that posting of pictures ends at midnight tomorrow. Voting for your favorite picture begins after that time until Sunday at 6PM EST. I'll then tally up the votes then let the winner know I'll need the picture emailed to me so I can send it to admin as they have requested. Remember though that the main picture must be a Heuchera not a Heucherella or Tiarella as there will be subforums for both those groups as well. If your not sure what your plant is just post the picture and we'll figure it out. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Scott

• Cher
    12 years ago

I say Melissa's photo also. She outdid herself on that. I don't know about sub forums though. I think to keep the main forum busy that they should be together as one. The three are always thought of together. There are several forums here I have interest in but rarely go check them as nothing goes on hardly. JMO
    Cher

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Cher well unfortunately I can't change policy but you can post where ever you prefer. The subforums are always listed when you come into the main forum just under the header for easy access. Since Tiarella is related but not a Heuchera they have subforums for members who may be looking for a specific group. Probably makes a search say on Google easy to find as Tiarella wouldn't show on Google as posts within the Heuchera forum.

Scott

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I'm with Cher, we should just clump all three together into one forum and not have sub forums.

Karen

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

Happy Spring, everyone. Nice to see familiar faces back this year. I haven't logged in much this year, but I've been keeping up on the forum readings. So, I HAD to log in to thank Johnsp for getting the Heuchera forum up and running...thanks much, Scott!! And to also vote for Melissa's collage pic on the black background. She did exactly what I was thinking, showing the diversity in one pic.
    I've seen collage pics like that online, so thanks to Melissa as well for making a great one.
    I also agree that all 3 plants should be under one forum, no need for subforums, really.
    Here's a long thread from the hosta forum last year about heuchs.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Coral Bells as Companion Plants

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

And here is a desktop wallpaper I found on widedesktopwallpapers.net that I wanted to share, it fits right in with Melissa's collage. Enjoy, I love it!
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:877200}}

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle your very welcome. I really think that subforums are necessary for those searching the net for the other groups. If their all listed together than none will find that plant in this website. We wouldn't list palms and orchids together as they are related just as Tiarella is a seperate but related genus to Heuchera it is a completely different plant. But that all aside there isn't going to be any rule that members cannot post about Heucherella or Tiarella in the Heuchera forum if they prefer to do so.

Scott

• jeccalou
    12 years ago

So great to hear the forum was approved! I also love melissa's collage pic.

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

Hi Scott, perhaps what all of us pro "all 3 plants should be under the same forum" voters are saying is more along the lines of something like this...
    Maybe the name of the forum should be "Heucheras, Heucherellas and Tiarellas".
    That way it is searchable and all 3 are in one tidy forum.
    Any reason the new forum couldn't be called that?
    Michelle

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

I like what Michelle said. Then it's still searchable.

Case in point, if I google, "Bean Forum", then the GW Beans, Peas & Legumes forum does come up.

And Michelle... that collage was originally done by Terra Nova, a leader in wholesale heuchs

• Cher
    12 years ago

Thanks Scott for all your hard work. Linking them together as nutmeg exhibited is how I had thought it would initially be done. Since most people have Heuchera, or combinations, the other forums would soon be dead. As it is I hope the enthusiasm doesn't wane as the forum goes on with even the 3 together. This is one of my very favorite plants and I think we could manage to enable a lot of people with our own forum together. I'm hoping GW takes that into account, as people can see now that the others aren't mentioned a lot, but Heuchera is all the time.
    Cher

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I'll ask if they can combine all three names into the title?

Scott

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

I like Melissa's collage too -- BUT -- there will need to be a 'disclaimer' in the FAQs explaining to casual visitors why they can't have a plant like the one in the photo!!!
    Jan

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I think the name should be "Heucheras, Heucherellas and Tiarellas" no need for subforums.

I like the second collage.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tamara from admin emailed me back and said they could include all three in the title for the forum; however, the three names take up more space than would fit so I guess we'll just call it the Heuchera forum.

Scott

• bettylu_zone6a
    12 years ago

I LOVE the collage! If we group the Tiarellas, and Heucherellas with the Heucheras, will we need to add leaves to represent those?

It will be beautiful either way!

BettyLu

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

If you're talking about my photos, they are just that.... they're a bunch of leaves artfully arranged and a photo taken. My Tiarella and Heucherella haven't leafed out yet, so I wouldn't be able to do another photo including them.
    I could possibly take some photos at a nursery and ad them at the top of the photo, if that's what everyone wants.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I think the picture is fine just the way it is. Don't need to get too technical. lol

Karen

• nutmeg4061
    12 years ago

The title would be too long. okay...how about...

The Cryptogam Forum is worded like this:
    TITLE: Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams

DESCRIPTION UNDERNEATH TITLE: This forum is for the discussion of moss, ferns, and other cryptogams, including fern-allies, lichens, mushrooms, etc.

Going off of that, we could use something like:

TITLE: Heuchera and related plants Forum

DESCRIPTION UNDERNEATH TITLE: This forum is for the discussion of Heuchera and related plants Heucherella and Tiarella.

are we getting closer? lol

I also vote and agree that Melissa's pic is perfect as it stands, no need for overtechnicality on what will be only a tiny corner pic.

Melissa, I had wondered if that was from Terra Nova. I found this collage pic credited to Terra Nova as well, it just wasn't wallpaper sized.

Thank you again for getting this off the ground, Scott.
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Cher
    12 years ago

I think just Heuchera would be fine but it we wanted more we could do something simple like
    Heuchera Types

I think Melissa did the photo herself, she got the idea from elesewhere. The photo is great and I don't think any additions need added to it.
    Cher

• marquest
    12 years ago

I vote for Connie's 2nd one. It makes me think of how beautiful they look in the garden.

Maybe we should have a post started with numbers so it is clear what ones get the most votes.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marquest I've created a seperate post for voting.

Scott

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've also posted a note in Facebook about the new forum so should attract more people to participate.

Scott

• flowerchild59
    11 years ago

I am a huge heuchera fan. Thanks for getting it done!!!