Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

Can someone please tell me why?

uk-hostaman
9 years ago

A few of my hostas that are in pots seem to produce normal pips and then leaves,but some of the pips look normal then open to just a flower stalk?
Any reason for this?.. Seems to happen to the more mature ones in the larger pots?
Example is one of my Arc De Triomphe that has 10 good eyes and 4 flower stalk eyes?
Also could anyone answer what causes 'blind' eyes where the pip seems normal but when it opens nothing is there?
Thanks UK

Comments (5)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Could it be a stress response to being potbound? You are such a pro at container culture that I'm sure you would know if they were really packed in there too tightly, but it does sound like one of those "ripen seeds before I die!" instincts an unhappy plant has.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

UK,
    I've never seen a "blind eye". Any pics of it.

As for pips going right to scapes, I've had that happen with a plant that did not flower the year before. In that case it was a fasciated scape. I've also seen plants that just sent up one scape and nothing else. That's just the genes going crazy. It happens sometimes, but it's rare.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I think I read somewhere that when a hosta makes a second flush and those eyes want to make a flower...IF they are interrupted by dormancy, they merely resume their cycle when they come up in Spring. "interrupted" can happen with heat dormancy as well as freezes. I get the phenomenon here every once in a while. We don't get really hot and we don't freeze, so I am at a loss to explain except for the fact that hostas are amazing.

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Amazing what you just said, Babka! That might be an explanation for Blue Mouse Ears sending a flowers cape way ahead of its leaves last year. I had purchased my first bagged hosta last year. One BME produced the usual leaves First, the second one the flowers cape! It was unusual and surprising to see a thick "stalk" appear.

Amazing alright!

• User
    9 years ago

When I was doing my musing about hosta adapting to a warmer planet (overall climate change), I mused that they were survivors, and would do whatever it took to evolve into a plant adapted to the new conditions.

It makes sense to me (but then I'm willing to follow all alternatives) that the hosta genes are trying all their options now, and whatever works they will incorporate into their future. Indeed yes, they are amazing plants. While they are not sentient beings, they do have a survival strategy. Some multiply by rhizomes yet they still send up flower scapes and bloom at their chosen time. I think perhaps they are messing around with the dormancy period too, which is in hotter climates they go heat dormant. Could that one day be their NEW DORMANCY choice? In the way of nature, evolution takes time, and we won't be around to know the outcome. But I'll put my money on the hosta surviving, even in a changing climate.