Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

What a difference a day makes!!

hosta_freak
10 years ago

And old song by Dinah Washington;and my hosta garden. Yesterday,I walked thru the garden,and it was dry and hot,hostas were looking pretty good,but today,WOW,the plants look like I just injected them with steroids! Plants that were just big eyes yesterday,are unfurling leaves today,and my big Sagae is huge already,and these plants won't even be at their peak until mid May! No pics today;sorry,but it is pouring rain,and is supposed to last two days,By then,they should really jump. Oh BTW,Ken if you're seeing this;all the plants you gifted me with last year are finally up,with some even with leaves. Pics in a few days. Phil

Comments (16)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Lucky lucky you! Stand back and watch the show!
    No hosta pips here yet, but the crocus are blooming and there are big fat buds on the daffodils, so morning coffee on a garden walk-about is in the works. Possibility of snow flurries tomorrow, but surely that will be the last!!!
    Jan

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Do not blink as it happens that fast. I can take the hosta walk everyday and I am amazed at how fast, or slow, some can grow. Paula

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Hi Phil, check the weather. It's supposed to go below freezing for 3 to 5 hours Tuesday night here. Tonight I spent near an hour putting appropriately sized pots near each hosta since it will be dark when I get home tomorrow night. I told them not to grow too much tomorrow so the pots will still fit. We'll see.
    Kathy

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah,I have heard the news,Kathy. Unfortunately,for me,my hostas are up too far to cover,so this may be the last hurrah for the garden. My Sagae,and Lakeside Ripples are more that two feet tall,and nothing short of a washer/dryer box will cover them,and I am fresh out of said boxes. Pray for us,because this may be the shortest hosta season ever! It sure was pretty today,when I was out there looking at the garden. Hope you fair well tonight. In the future,the folks up north will be laughing because their hostas are still underground. I hope at least they will have a good hosta season. Phil

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

My day difference was quite the opposite, yesterday I finally discovered new and first pips on Yellow River, Honeybells and Holy Mole. This morning I woke up to low 20's and 2 inches of snow. On top of that, I forgot and left all my seedlings outside. They were just getting a nice start, I guess they are all gone now.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh my, sure hope the canopy of trees on your hillsides keep the freeze at bay. The cold rolls downhill, I assume, so perhaps all on the hillside will not get done in.

We had a heavy rain and wind last night, today is only up to 49, with a low tonight of 39. Not freezing, but too low for my comfort.

Fingers crossed for all those beauties to make it unscathed.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Phil...how many sheets do you own? At least to cover some ... .??
    Merry Christmas is what I thought when I looked out the window this morning! 3" snow over...and I potted some dahlia roots yesterday...which remained on the deck...now covered with snow. Thank goodness I brought in all the minis and smalls back into garage! Oh well...not surprised. :-(. It IS Ontario.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Phil, best wishes for your hostas to survive cold nights with their foliage. I have to wait a while before I can walk through hostas, no pips yet. We usually did get frosts until the last days of May, except for the recent warm winters.
    My difference I saw today was that all the crocuses are blooming and the daffodils show a few blossom. We had warm days in the 70s and a lot of rain.
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo,sheets don't help at all if there's a real freeze. Sheets only work with frost. I'm going on faith alone that it will not get to the temps predicted. They've been wrong before,and I'm hoping this will be one of those times. The clouds are still hanging around,and if they do,it won't get too cold. I'm trying not to think about it,but the hostas are looking soo good right now! Keeping my fingers crossed. Phil

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Phil,
    Maybe you could take a garden stake, drive it into the ground right next to the petioles and throw a sheet or towel over it? That'll keep the leaves from getting mushed and may be enough.
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I don't think any hosta-lovers are laughing at your weather situation, Phil, no matter where they live. Best of luck, hope the plants can ride it out relatively OK.

Don B.

10 years ago

I hear you, Phil but I was hoping what Kathy said...at least some cover to prevent mush...silly weather channel...we have inches more snow than forecast, but that is good because over here, this is what we call "the last hurrah". Winter going out like a lion! ... But GOING!

Fingers crossed your beauties will not get too damaged. :-)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I'm right there with you, Phil. I covered all of mine tonight and will be tomorrow night, too. There were just starting to leap and looking so good! Temps are supposed to be right at 32 degrees here, so maybe the sheet will give them just enough of a microclimate to survive this. No harm in trying!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's too late! 29 degrees this morning,and the large hostas are almost flat to the ground. All the ones that are just eyes are fine,and all the common ones made it OK. All in all,most of them look good,and even though some are wilted,I think they will recover. Suppose to be warmer tonight,and then go into another warm-up. Maybe the garden will be OK,but it doesn't look good right now. More later,when I can tell just how bad it is. I should have just stayed out of the garden today,and hoped for the best,but I just had to go look! Phil

10 years ago

I'm with you...I'd rather go and see than drive myself crazy wondering, wondering, wondering...then drive myself crazy anyway once I see what's happened.

Here's Hope for the best. :-)

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, they are strong plants, and they will recover. I know how you feel. What an abnormal weather pattern you had to contend with. Not something you can prevent.

The year it was below freezing for 2 weeks here, I saw my fairly hardy elephant ears melt into a pile of elephant dung. I thought for sure they were goners. Yet late in the spring, beneath that pile of glop which apparently protected the tubers, there emerged very strong new shoots. It always struck me as the Phoenix emerging from its own ashes.

So think of that, the Phoenix rising and reborn. A good Easter story to remember. Blessings to you.