Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
emperess wu giant

Posted by ymaddox ky 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 14:20

was curious if anyone grows this and do they have pictures...how do they like it etc... am thinking about buying one of these and a sum and substance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: emperess wu giant

Here's what a mature Empress looks like. Hope you've got room. It's big and fast.
EW

Steve

o

One of my favorites just for it's shear size. As Steve said make sure you have room can reach over 8 foot across and 5 foot tall if given proper care. It may even get larger as this plant only became available in 2008 so at the most other than the originator no one has had this hosta more than 4 years. Mine will be three this year and so far has put up 12 stems most of which are about an inch thick so far. Want to wait a few more weeks before I post pictures as most of my hostas are just coming up and not much to look at right now.

Scott

o

My kind of Hosta! Got to get one - STAT!

o

i have almost 3 acres i'll find a place :)...georgous!!!!

o

haha hosta are like lays you cant just buy one huh...so i got the emperess wu, colossal blue, and sum and substance. and i got a perfect place for the three.

o

Don't forget to buy Millennium, Victory, Blue Angel, Ulysses S. Grant, Choo Choo Train and Komodo Dragon. Big John, Big Kahuna, Atlantis.... lol

and there is also a Blue Wu.

o

Steve, I hope you don't mind, I am going to send this picture to my DH and tell him I just ordered Empress Wu.

I won't mention that some of the super sizes are already here, like S&S, Victory, and Blue Angel. Who knew they'd get so big!!

o
RE: emperess wu giant.

This link is to some history on Empress Wu and some other giants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Valley in Indiana

o

I have my own "Land of the Giants" -- Empress Wu, TRex, Blue Wu, & Jurassic Park. Can't wait to see them all leafed out this year!

o

Thanks for the link Frank. Last summer Virginia reported that the original clump of EW was at 54 inches and still growing. That's the one you see in the famous picture of Brian with the yard stick.

Steve

o

I like large hostas, I can see them right out in the landscape. My Empress Wu only shows 7 eyes so far, no leaves yet. But there are T-Rex, Jurassic Park, Ryan's Big One, Blue Angel, Blue Umbrellas, Big Daddy, S&S, Blue Mammoth, Vim&Vigor, Sum of All. And then there are the 28 to 30 inch tall ones also in the future. All of those need a lot of space when mature.
Bernd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here