Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got Hosta?

Posted by Gesila MI Z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:36

Fortunei Hyacinthina is the preferred hosta. Our daughter's cat keeps eating it's leaves. Won't touch Winter Warrior or City Lights!

And I've read that they can be toxic to cats and dogs. So far, cat hasn't showed any symptons.

Gesila

This post was edited by Gesila on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got Hosta?

Gesila, I've read both, and the more I read up, the more conflicting info I get. I wish I could tell you. Hopefully some of our dog-and-cat-loving Hostaholics we share the Forum with know for a fact yes-or-no.

Regards,
Don B.

o

To prevent them eating hostas all you probably have to do is spray Liquid Fence or some pepper solution on the leaves and the cat.

o

get rid of the cat.. he's an idiot..

you can eat them.. made into a zucchini type loaf.. or sauteed in butter.. with escargot ....

so what exactly could be toxic to a cat???

the problem with the web.. is you can read 'something' all over the place.. with little or no clue if the source has any real clue what they are talking about.. dont you think ...

now get back to tax time.. so we can get a couple million posts and pix from you starting 4/16 ...

ken

PS: i am a firm believer.. that animals are not really smart enough to commit suicide.. and as such.. really cant poison themselves .... if it disagrees with THEM.. not you.. they stop eating it.. its a survival mechanism ....

o

Oh my Ken, it was just the humor I needed to get me through the next 10 days. Thanks!

Gesila

o

My cats play among the hostas, they like to sleep under Blue angel. I can't say I've ever noticed them eating any. Never found a dead one under a hosta yet. Lilies are also said to be extremely toxic to cats and I have lots of lilies as well and though they like to play their own version of leap lily they have no interest in eating them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here