Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
areyah_zone7

hosta color festival

Areyah_Zone7
9 years ago

This is another new addition called Color Festival. If it is not on your want list it should be. The gold lines look like they were painted on. This picture really does not do justice for this plant.

Comments (13)

• User
    9 years ago

OOOOhhh, yes. I am waiting on mine to arrive from Savorys. It is on the Fragrant Flowered list of Don Rawson. I look forward to growing it. Yours is certainly pretty. The pattern reminds me of Summer Music....mine emerged early this year, and some cold seems to have damaged the white areas of the early leaves, making them translucent. It was such a sight to behold.

While Summer Music is not fragrant, it sure does look good. I could pair it with Color Festival and Luna Moth....Luna Moth because the SHAPE of the color pattern is so similar between LM and SM. See if you find the combination sweet.

Summer Music in August 2013

Luna Moth also in August 2013

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

CF always reminds me of the small beauty 'Trifecta'. As of this morning my T is showing two pips. Colour Festival has me also interested. :-)

Jo

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oooh Moccasinlanding thanks for the pic of Summer Music is not one I've seen before and similar to Color Festival but the green a lighter color. Just what I needed another plant added to my want list but keep em coming as I will do my best to enable y'all to. Todah.

• User
    9 years ago

I am very pleased to accommodate you, Areyah! And Jo I think caught us both with Trifecta.....

9 years ago

CF has that smokey green/blue margin, almost "sultry" looking - does it maintain that hue?

Mocc, chuckle, chuckle! :-) I am bumping something up on the page ... hope you catch it.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Paul_in_mn has a beautiul Color Festival. I look forward to pictures of it every year!

Mine did not like its original spot so we moved it to a sunnier location that it seemed to like better. Can't wait to see it in a few weeks :)

Vanessa

9 years ago

Vanessa, do you remember if it had the smoky hue I'm referring to on Areyah's hosta? It sure is lovely.

Jo

• santamiller
    9 years ago

The Summer Music color goes great with black dog. :) Super pics, guys. I added all three of those to my wish list.

• mr_gary
    9 years ago

Nice, it reminds me of Vulcan.

Gary

• User
    9 years ago

Hey there, Mr. Gary! We think we have checked out all the possibilities of other/similar hosta, and then you show up with a new lead....VULCAN, you say?

Welcome back to the game!

I like Vulcan, but it is much more assertive a hosta than sweet feminine Summer Music. I think the saturation and tone of Vulcan is a couple notches more intense than the soft diaphanous color (at this time of year) of Summer Music. She keeps that gentleness long into the season.

Here she is last year on Aug 18, 2013, down front on the left. This is the area of my garden getting sun from midmorning to about 5pm or later although I provide some objects for shade and also watered a lot. She was not viridescent at all. This medium sized hosta is holding her own in a gathering of some greats.

• ctopher_mi
    9 years ago

Color Festival is a sport of Enterprise which is a sport of Captain Kirk and is about the same sport as Vulcan. So that's why there is some similarities here.

Being from that parentage there isn't any chance of Color Festival being fragrant though I just saw another online listing that said that too. Not sure how that mistake got spread around so much, but just wanted to mention it so that people aren't disappointed when the flowers don't have any scent.

Chris

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

You the man, Chris. More great information. Thanks so much.

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Great thread. Just added more to my list. Probably should have gotten Luna Moth today at PDN! I already have Summer Music and love it.