Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
areyah_zone7

patriot sport

Areyah_Zone7
10 years ago

My first attempt to post a picture so hope this works. On my rounds this Sunday and while at a local garden center I found this sport of Patriot. Of the 12 cultivars listed in the hosta database none look like this:

Comments (10)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Very pretty! Have you read up on what people do to try to encourage the sport?

I had 'August Moon' sporting to an 'Abiqua Moonbeam' look, so I tried snipping the leaves from the non-sporting eyes, as others have discussed here. August Moon is still unfurling, so it's hard to tell if it worked. We'll see!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

That's a looker! It will be very interesting to see if it is stable and returns next year with all that streaking. I imagine your heart skipped a beat as you grabbed it up.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Geez,why can't I ever find a sport like that! All my current sports came on hostas that I had for several years. Good find! Yeah,it will be interesting to see if it will stabilize,and come back next year. Phil

• tepelus
    10 years ago

The only sports I ever find are plain green.

Karen

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I went to one of those box stores...shhhh dont tell anyone but do this every year looking for sports and found this one. Actually it was yelling at me from across the bench and fortunately there were no other hostaholics in the crowd since only we can hear them when their yelling at us to put them in the shopping cart. This plant has 5 eyes all the same and what you cannot see is the huge wings on the petioles the ripples on the leaves and the mix of colors that goe all the way down to the crown. I tend to stay away from streakers given their notorious instability but given this was a mere $5.98 how could I say no. What is also different is it isn't just merely a streaker per say but is a combination of misting and streaking combined have never seen that in a hosta before. The fact there are 4 different colors in the plant also make it very unusual as well. In 2 years if this plant remains as it looks now I'm going to TC the plant. The response I got from growers and members at the AHS was very positive so if this plant remains stable it will be worth a look into large scale production and have already assigned a name to it as Ashland's Messiah. Patience in this business is a virtue to be certain.

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Babka yes it actually did. I have found sports before but never anything like this. I have a stabilized streaker cultivar of Lady Godiva that for 3 years has been stable as well but looks nothing like this not even close. If it reverts back to Patriot oh well no loss really but if it remains stable it may be a wow plant but only time will tell.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Just be sure to keep it isolated for a few years to make certain it isn't secretly harboring HVX. That is mandatory when purchasing hostas from big box stores, or from even other vendors who cannot tell you where their tc's originated. Guard it with your life! That is one cool hosta.

-Babka

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Babka oh yes will be isolated and grown in a pot for now.

• woodnative
    10 years ago

It is fun looking for streaked sports. Good that yours has all the eyes streaked.....probably originated in Tissue culture and the whole plant grew out that way.......just speculating. The leaves on all sides are well stereaked so you will have less reversions than say if only half the plant was streaked. Very nice. I do believe there are other similar streaked sports of 'Patriot' around although I don't know if any have been named. I found a similar one to this about 10 years ago (not quite as nice but good) but lost it for some reason the first winter (it was planted late). I think Bevie/hostahilbilly on this forum have a similar sport (?). Enjoy it!!

• Areyah_Zone7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Woodnative and yes agree this one is out of TC and given it is most likely at least 2 years old and all the eyes are the same it has a very good chance of remaining stable but only time will tell. I have a few others that are streaked I found in other nurseries that have also remained streaked and thus stable part of the stability factor for streaked hostas I am beginning to see is plenty of sunlight no shade. Many who have grown the streakers tend to grow them in to much shade so this may be a factor but is nothing more than my opinion I have no conclusive evidence this is so. This plant above will receive about 6 hours of direct sunlight shaded from direct sun from about 11AM to 2PM during that time it will be dappled sunlight. This is how I grow all my hostas whether planted or potted and has been an excellent program that works well for me and plenty of water always.