Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

Fragrant Queen, what a beauty!

Babka NorCal 9b
10 years ago

Fragrant Queen is a slow grower for me, but worth the wait. I bought a small division with one eye in spring of 2009. It stayed just one eye for 3 years, although each year the eye got bigger and bigger. Last year she had 3 eyes, medium sized. (about 3/4" thick pips).This year we are back to two, but they are whoppers for me. The pips came up over on the edge of the pot and they were each over an inch in diameter. By the end of May she will have white margins and stand out from the crowd by leaps and bounds. Nice queen.

-Babka

{{gwi:962792}}

{{gwi:962794}}

{{gwi:962796}}

Comments (16)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That variegation is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for posting!

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I don't know how to spell a long whistle sound but that's what came out of my mouth along with a gasp! Holy Hosta!

Babka, all your hosta are already gorgeous and so far along already...is that Seducer or Goodness Gracious to its left, or? What is it please.

I really love how they look early on in the season...your pics are a delight!
    Thanks for sharing the joy. :-)

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Wow! That's the most beautiful pic of that hosta I have ever seen. So much prettier than Fragrant King. Now I must have it.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

I MUST have it too!! It's so pretty!

Linda

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The one to the left is Ice Follies. That one also will have white edges later. I've had it for a couple years, but really noticed it last year as it stayed so perfect looking late in the season. It is a patented sport of Antioch. There are some nice photos of it at the HL showing off it's beautiful margins.

-Babka

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Fragrant Queen was one of my most expensive acquisitions last season...It was love at first sight. Those smooth, creamy white margins are just irresistible.

Your photos are always such a treat...perfect plants, perfect groupings, and perfectly photographed. Thank you!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

What good news...that it's a sport of Antioch! because I have one (which was incorrectly identified as So Sweet). I hope my A gives me a sport one day - but somehow I don't think I'll wait for that to happen, lol I should just get a FQ for instant gratification.

Does anyone react like I do about seeing a fabulous picture of a hosta, such as this one? First, I have this one imbedded in my brain so when I next hear 'Fragrant Queen' no other picture but this one pops up in my mind. Second, the very next reaction is "I want mine to look EXACTLY like this one" .

Babka, I don't know if you set out to "enable" but you performed an exemplary "coup de gras".

Jo

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually I wasn't thinking about enabling. (wink, wink) When my hostas outgrow my largest pot (3 gal black plastic nursery pot) I have to split them so I rarely get whopper leaves or really large plants. This one made me stop in my tracks yesterday and I had to post it. I remember a couple years when the edges burned, so it wasn't so impressive. That's a good thing about pots...when any given hosta is having a bad year, you can put it in the back row somewhere.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks Babka, I did replace mine. It should be here next week.

bk

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant,Babka!! Never saw one in person,but if I ever do,It'll be coming home with me. My Ice Follies is just barely opened,but still see no variegation. Maybe it gets it later? Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil- Ice Follies is slow to develop color. I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo last Summer with her glorious white edges. I take my "school photos" to document growth in May, after the first flush, and before bugs find their way to messing with the leaves, and when I looked at last years' photo it still looked light and dark green. I'll be watching that beaut more closely this year. It is a real keeper...OMHO.

-Babka

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Wow, fabulous. I had one I had to move last year. It had only two eyes and they fell apart in the move - so now I have two. Can't wait to see them. Thanks for sharing your photo.

Beverly

• Mary4b
    10 years ago

OMG....with the first pic, I thought "ok, very nice", then I scrolled to the 2nd shot and my heart flipflopped, I love the way that holds its leaves up! I'm heading over to the hosta dealer sites RIGHT NOW to see where I can get it!

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Babka,
    Your picture of Fragrant Queen looks really blue. What color is the center by the time the leaf edges turn white?
    Kathy

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When the edges turn white, the center is several beautiful shades of green. No blue for me here. (could be the light, overcast skies) I will make a note to take more pics as she gets her white petticoat. We don't get very hot summers here, so most of my blues stay blue. That is Great Escape, which is blue, at her 7:00 position.

-Babka

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

Stunning hosta! I'm so happy that is one of the new ones I got last year. I'll try to be patient and hope it will look like that someday.