Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bright red petioles, ruffled edges, huge...

Posted by jadie88 7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 14:54

AND edible! My sweet neighbor came by today and pointed out her favorite of all my hostas. She loves how big and ruffled it is, and it's leafed out way ahead of the rest of the bunch.

Introducing hosta 'Rhubarb Patch' :)

...anyone else have great stories from the un-initiated?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bright red petioles, ruffled edges, huge...

Is that a sport of 'Royal Rhubarb', Jadie?

Don B.

o

Oh, you got me:) Red pets and ruffles are a favorite of mine.
Beverly

o

I'll pay $750 for a division !!!!

o

Plus that rhuhosta also will have very architectural 6 ft flower stalks. Rabbits, voles and squirrels do not seem to eat it.
Bernd

o

Mikgag: Sold! In fact, I'm feeling generous, for that price I'll give you the whole mature clump. Can't promise it will TC well, though.

Bernd: Good point. I'll market it as the first deer-proof, rabbit-proof, slug-proof hosta. It's money in the bank. Except I just sold it to Mikgag. Dang!

Don: I think its a cross between 'Regal Rhubarb' and unregistered h. 'BS'

So, the worst part is, I never told her it was rhubarb! I knew she'd be so embarassed. She kinda said it in passing anyway, so I let it go.

I'll have to make her my fabulous Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake and break it to her then. :)

o

i had a city tour... extremely elderly lady.. had to be near 90 if she was a day .... seemed just so happy to be out with her daughter ...

took the time to talk with me ... and blather on about how great the yard looked.. and proceeded to tell me she had all three hosta also ... but they didnt look as good as mine ... [which of course.. was her saving grace.. lol]

i thanked her.. and invited her back any time she wanted ...

ken

o

I've heard that the particular variety you have DOES grow true from seed, Jadie...Astounding cultivar.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 11:44

o

Indeed it does! I'd say this is a great accomplishment for such a newcomer to the hosta world. Look out Olga, theres a new girl in town! ;-)

o

So....that explains why my DH has planted two rhubarb plants....he has hosta envy! I'm waiting to see if they look as good as your Regal Rhubarb. Hope they survive.

o

I just got a potted rhubarb and it has a flower comming out of it. should I cut it off to get bigger leaves? not really growing it to eat just for foliage

o

Yep, get rid of the flower stalks. Rather than cutting it, though, just pull it out...give it a twist if it puts up a fight. Yanking it out supposedly stimulates the growth response more powerfully than cutting.

o

Jadie, who's your booking agent please? LOL
Thanks for the great laughs, everyone!
Btw we grow them so big here we call them Regal Supreme R'barbs.

"Look out, Olga there's a new girl in town" - priceless!

it's almost three am here and I'm making some serious noise reading these comments, ssshhhh..I better go to sleep --- if I can stop chuckling!

Jadie...spill the beans - post your delicious sounding recipe!

o

I just got a potted rhubarb and it has a flower comming out of it. should I cut it off to get bigger leaves? not really growing it to eat just for foliage

o

You got it, Jo! This recipe is to die for. Very rich though...a little goes a long way. It ends up with a soft, bread pudding like consistency.

Strawberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake

1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb stalks (or 10 ounces frozen)
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries, or more to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 stick (1/2 c) butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

preheat oven to 400°F. Butter an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Stir together water, cornstarch, and 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan, then stir in rhubarb. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in strawberries.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.

Whisk together egg, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl, then whisk in flour mixture only until just combined.

Reserve 1/2 cup fruit mixture, then add remainder to baking dish and pour batter over it, spreading evenly. Drizzle reserved 1/2 cup fruit mixture over batter. Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake portion comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes before serving.

o

The leaves of Rhubarb can be all twisted off and petioles eaten, new leaves will grow and look good again same year. This would be a good companion plant to hostas. One year we let the flowers grow and were impressed, there would be several flower stalks (scapes). Perhaps they have cultivars with different color flowers. Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb cultivars

o

Much obliged, Jadie! It sounds easy and uncomplicated :-) but most of all, YUMMY! Thank you.

Jo

o

Hah! Beautiful plant. :) Now that's a pie crust edge. ( as in you can make pies with it...hehe)

Ken, that was sweet of you to be so nice to the elderly lady. Not too long ago I was in the "green ones" and "green and white ones" group. I'm still learning how many fun shapes colors and sizes hostas come in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here