Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

BOREDOM has its perks! Biggest bang for $7.99+tax

I recently (March 23rd) purchased a Florissa bagged package of 4 hosta called the Emerald Isle collection...in my excitement totally missing the number 4 on the package till I left the nursery and which my daughter pointed out to me. (Very long sentence, poor grammar, sorry)

I brought them home, rinsed off all peat moss, then placed them in water. Last week I emailed the company and requested identification of the hosta. I received a prompt reply (details in the "NOID" thread of Pieter�s from 2009 on current page of threads).

I have to say that I've gotten the biggest kick - yet again - I have gained 8 more hosta (2 pcks.) Francee is the only one I didn't have. I am excited about Fragrant Dream - obviously a fragrant! I also didn't have an Aureomarginata...I will find out whether it is a Fortunei, or Montana, or Ventricosa.

It is what it is - cheap price for hosta - who cares? It's hosta - ALL hosta are great IMO! I don't like labelling any hosta as a "$5 hosta ... At one time, a long time ago, you could not buy a hosta for a mere $5. To me they are all worthy.

I feel like I won a grand prize - a windfall. They are bigger and with healthier roots than some I paid $20 for! That's what's got me so happy.

I also paid $5.99 each for Cherry Berry and 2 Blue Hawaii (Olga Petryszyn's).

I really don't even sneeze at pricey hosta, but conversely, I REALLY LOVE A BARGAIN!

Here are some pics...I realize I am not providing optimum growing conditions (ya think???) - far from it, almost pathetic comes to mind, but hey, I just wanted to play/muck around and I'm doing just that. I'm not hurting them, they will be too lanky as my Rainforest Sunrise (first bagged hosta) was last year, but "the trouble is only temporary" as the saying goes. LOL

I just wanted to share with you what a bargain I scored! Just goes to show, too, that one doesn't have to spend a fortune to get a very nice, healthy hosta...from the Netherlands yet! :-)

Jo
(The kid who loves to play around in the dirt)

Edited to correct comment. Francee is the only one I DID have already.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 23:53

Comments (25)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is Cherry Berry

Original Author
    10 years ago

...and Olga's Blue Hawaii .. Hard to see but has some blue showing

Original Author
    10 years ago

My first guess was Aureomarginata..yes? Florissa has offered to ID the rest in a week or two when they've gotten bigger. How nice, no work for me although I've researched already.

The leaf tips are longer and the shape of the leaf give it away in my guesstimation.

Original Author
    10 years ago

FLorissa identified this one as Fragrant Dream which I am extremely pleased with - it's a FRAGRANT! Hey Mocc and GuacDon, you hear that? Lol ;-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Not sure about this one but I really like the leaf shape, the obvious blue (which will present itself more once outside) and it appears that it will be a smaller hosta - kind of sweet looking. :-). Good candidate for Blue Angel but I am only saying what comes to mind...no experience with it...

Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is just starting to show its leaves...might be Julie Morrs...we'll see in a week or so..

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea about this one but supplier will...nice green though.

"Turgid" isn't a word that jumps to mind when looking at this one, huh?

Bhaaahaahaha

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

Feeling like the biggest kid with hosta candy in the world right now! Lol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Some self-deprecating humour....the time it took me to take these pics, and post comments could have been better spent getting grow lights for all my indoor hosta! - naw ... This was more fun! There's just no help for me some days...sigh.

I hope you enjoyed looking at my recent acquisitions! This is just the beginning....I can hear Don B. now quoting me about some of the resolutions I put in writing, no less! I'm weak...I'm a hosta lover.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

What a haul! The ones I brought inside did ok in a south facing window, but mainly they were in at night and outside in deep shade during the day.
    Kathy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for peeking in Kathy! I just left a comment on your latest thread...still seeing that very impressive Empress Wu in my head. Wow - you grow good hosta, girl! Enjoyed your anecdote about having all the hosta you thought were out there....funny!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a good bunch, Jo...Can certainly tell where 'Cherry Berry' is in that group. : ) I bought one in 2012, at Home Depot, I think. It didn't make it through the winter, but I'm gonna get another and try it again. It was pretty good sized...I remember my eyes instantly zeroed in on it's deep red petioles. So I took it home, and went online to try and I.D. it. (The tag read, simply, something like 'Sun-Tolerant Plantain Lily' LOL, NOT the cultivar's name). So, I FOUND it by looking trough the hosta library!! Whoo Hoo I had identified a hosta all by myself! No turning back! It grew well that season, it even sent up a couple red, red flower scapes; but the next spring POOF it was gone, vanished. So I will try try again.

The one in your last pic, just a guess, but the leaves remind me of 'Honeybells'.

Cheers,
    Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Don! These bagged hosta remind me of a grab bag generally and the fun is that "you never know what you're gonna get" Forest Gump style, LOL

One of my daughters has a Cherry Berry and it is beautiful! I'm keeping an eye on this one now that you told me about yours...just in case!

Let us know when you get one, ok? :-)

Now that you mention it, yes, it does resemble Honeybells - my mind didn't go that far as it was not one of those "expected" to be included.....you have a good eye and memory, Don! :-)

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Fragrant Dream' is a beauty, Jo. Mine was a little roughed up last year, but can't wait to see what it brings to the garden this season. Same great family as Fragrant Bouquet, Guacamole, Fried Bananas, Fried Green Tomatoes, Salted Margarita, Mojito, Avocado, Stained Glass......and so so so Many More!!!

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw, she is a beauty - wonder how many more eyes she will give you this year.

I am tickled to have her too. You didn't know this, but I was all set to get Guacamole's mama this year. ... to keep GUac company and to slowly expand the family. For now I will be content with Fragrant Dream but FB will remain on my list.

My youngest daughter has a Stained Glass which I babysat for a year...it grew beautifully here...until the purple sand cherry got infected with scale and this sticky residue fell onto some of the hosta leaves. You guessed it - I took a soapy sponge and gently washed it all out. That is one resilient hosta!
    She shared a division with one of her sisters. This year it may be my turn....keeping things in the family. Lol

The "trading door" keeps swinging outward from my place - my girls like to hosta shop here! Lol

Love that you posted a pic! :-).

Jo

• leaflover76
    10 years ago

Your last pic looks like Honneybells. I have 11 of them and yours looks just like mine.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have been out of the buying loop for quite some time ....

but is it common that some of these.. that i consider sorta rare.. would be thrown in bags at bigboxstore???

e.g. i thought blue Hawaii ... was a $20-40 hosta just a year or two back????

regardless ... jo is having the time of her hosta life.. and i am sharing in the fun ... congrats

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Ken!

Good question...I don't know about how common it is but what I do know is that the "nursery" (it's a bona fide nursery) I bought them from is the biggest and most reputable nursery in the GTA (greater Toronto area) other than Humber Nurseries in Toronto. Humber is also a teaching facility ... definitely not a box store.

This one has been around since my latter high school years - a loooong time ago. I'm acquainted with the family that runs both the original Bradford one and the Barrie one, where I am. Huge establishments! I've been a customer since the 1970âÂÂs.
    You can imagine my surprise, Ken when I received a reply from Florissa about the names of the 4 cultivars. Last year I purchased a Liberty and Rainforest Sunrise and two Blue Mouse Ears. They did well, I gave the mice away as a gift as I have some...the price is so great how could I resist again this year? Blue Hawaii was sold individually, as was Cherry Berry...neither was in the 4-pack. Great buy!

When Florissa mentioned they featured two different sets this year, the other being "Jade in the Shade" I inquired as to who the other retailer might be in my area. They provided me with the name, address, and telephone number of a nursery (not box store) in Lindsay which isn't too far out of the way.

Both Bradford Greenhouses and Garry's Garden Gallery are part of a very successful franchise chain of nurseries called Garden Gallery. I think it is safe to assume that Florissa ships to nurseries. Whether big box stores have contracts with Florissa or not ... your guess is as good as mine.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but knowing how you feel about box stores in terms of hostas, and since you missed the reference to "nursery" in line three of my opening remarks (it's okay, all of us do that from time to time) I thought I would put your mind at ease.

You are sooo right...I AM having the time of my life and it's great to share in the fun with you. Thanks for the congrats!

Jo

P.S. I'm curious to see RS and Liberty poke up....and to see how they will look this year. SPRING HAS ARRIVED IN ONTARIO! But....Sun. & Mon. will bring temps. Of 18 Celsius...Tues...ready for this? ... -1!!!! with a low of -6!!! What the .....??

Original Author
    10 years ago

Leaf lover, hi! I'm laughing now because I'm going to "converse" with Florissa again about this one. Part of the laughter is because of the "grab bag syndrome", the other part is that I scored another cultivar I didn't have! HA! Thanks for joining in my fun!

I believed I owned a Honeybells but it may be Ventricosa as I originally thought...a home hosta business gentleman identified it for me as H before I discovered fragrance in hosta....which was only last year! Mine doesn't have fragrant flowers, which Honeybells does...

....and the fun just keeps growing....and growing....how many more surprises are in store? Lol

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Lots more surprises, I promise.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

A truer word was never spoken!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i thought this was an 8 dollar bag of hosta from bigboxstore.. how did it end up at a nursery ... i must have missed some of the story ...

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aaaaah.... I think you may have gotten the idea from the "NOID" thread of Pieters that I bumped up from 2009 - he purchased his from a big box store back in 2008.

When I bought mine, I went googling for cultivars and found his thread, which I bumped up as it directly related to my purchase. You must have read it too.

:-)

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

Good score! I am thinking of getting Cherry Berry this season, too.. She's one of the smaller ones, right? I am wanting to add some smalls and mini's this year. So I can balance it out and have variety of giant, normal, small, and mini's.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Brandy! Thank you....Yes, you're right, Cherry Berry is a small to medium. Apparently she is a vigorous grower in warmer climates. I just love the burgundy scapes! I think she would be a lovely addition to your hosta family, and I don't recall you having one with narrow leaves...

You deserve a hosta shopping spree!

P.S. So far only Dream Queen bit the dust - all garage sheltered hosta came through as there are buds visible but no green yet. Time will tell with the rest. Naturally, all my in-ground hosta are less susceptible to a fatality! Lol

• brandys_garden
    10 years ago

I have Pineapple upside down cake... Some think she might be Pineapple juice, though. Either way, she's my only narrow leafed one. Burgandy flowers, though, I don't have one with burgundy, so that's Cherry Berries biggest draw for me!!