Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn, Ken was right...again

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 14:59

I posted on this a few weeks ago. Turns out that orange thing was some kind of rot, which I haven't seen before. I popped it out of the container and the roots looked fine. Next time, I'll know to wash off all the soil. (You know my grandpa's saying - some people live and learn, some just live.).

Pizzazz photo DSCN1079.jpg

It was on Pizzazz, so I guess Ken was right (one more time). It didn't last long.. Hey, it went great guns last year, it's first year.
 photo DSCN0735.jpg
There was so little of it left when I realized the problem, I just trashed it.

bk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn, Ken was right...again

man i cant hear that enough.. sure dont hear it around the house much.. lol ...

but i dont understand.. all those beautiful pips.. just melted into oblivion???

if so.. i have to say.. i think someone else suggested the rot.. credit where credit is due ...

but i am the one.. who for a decade has said Pizzazz is a piece of carp ... lol ...

if i can save just one person from ever wasting the money.. i will be happy

thx

ken

ps: you know.. i try not to make most of this stuff up.. lol ...

PPS: even had you washed it all off.. bleached it to the max.. it would have died anyway.. i have NEVER saved a plant.. once its rotted .... never ....

o

No, I don't think anyone knew what it was. Someone suggested it was the remains of a scape, but I didn't remember.

The part about you being right was the suicide Pizzazz.

bk

o

This is getting old. Let's start a "Ken was Wrong again" thread.

Steve

o

Maybe it's this nasty stuff?

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Rust Mold on Plants'

o

Sorry,but Pizzazz has always grown well for me,and it's in a half whiskey barrel,planted outside in my garden. Not everyone can grow every plant. I have a June,and it's always been a slow grower,and this year it finally has 3 eyes,even after I've had it since 2005. Just my opinion. Phil

o

I took the photo on 2/17. The [orange] spot was firm. I pulled it out of the pot, and it had good root structure.

Beginning the first of March, we've had lots of cool/cold weather, so everything that wasn't up by then stalled out. I had ignored the pot. Actually, it didn't look that different than it did on 2/17.

Tuesday, I noticed fungus gnats on it. Most of the crown had rotted and was separate from the roots at that point. I may have been able to save one pip, but I have a ton of tiny plants I'm nursing back from the demon doglet's rampages, so I just chunked it. (I fell like I'm running a hosta baby icu right now with all the tiny plants.)

It's too bad, too. It seemed like it was going to do well and I really liked the shape.

I'll recognize the problem next time, though.

bk

o

That dog's still alive? ;)

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here